3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mahaska Recurves  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
Mahaska Recurves
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
I am thinking of getting one, if you have one let me know what you think.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mahaska Recurves
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I have owned a bunch of recurves and longbows, and the Mahaska Recurve was the only one I couldn't sell fast enough.  I couldn't get the SHOCK out of it.  I tried Dacron, 8125, and D97 all with lots of silencers.  I tried every brace you could imagine and REALLY heavy arrows, and it still kicked like a Bay Mule.  It was pretty, and I liked the grip, but it wouldn't tame down for ME.  It was one of the slowest recurves I have shot to date as well.

I don't want to pee in your cornflakes, but (I) didn't like the bow at all.  

Some guys love them and they will probably be along soon to tell you about their experience with them.  The Mahaska Reecurve might be the bow for you, but I would definitely shoot one before you buy a new one.  If you are looking on the used market, if you buy one and don't like it, you can recoup most if not all of your money if you get a pretty good deal.

I am sure there is someone close enough (hour or so away in Ohio) that has one you could try to find out if they are for you.

Big Dog on here loves them.

As a disclaimer, maybe I got a bad one.  The one I got used was the ONLY Mahaska I have ever shot.

Good luck in the quest!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Shot two Mahaskas quite a bit.  My recurve (#67) and a friends longbow (#55).  Both are enjoyable, well made, shoot well, and are reasonably priced.  I am all positive on Mahaska!

Matt

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
:smileystooges:  Caster tell us how you feel about them. And the cornflake thing?  :(  I need to change my brand now! LOL
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Your cornflakes are safe.  Even if I drink 2 pots of coffee, I can't pee that far.  LOL!!!  I am getting the shop cleaned out so I can build your bow!!!!  You do want it made out of pine and plexiglass don't you??  And you said paint it PINK right??  LOL!!

Panzer,

The most important thing when considering buying a new bow is try before you buy!!!  Some bows just fit you and your style of shooting.  Some bows do not.  It will be different bows for everyone.  BTW if the Mahaska fits YOU, they are a great deal in tradtional archery equipment and I have heard nothing but praise of his customer service.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Sorry, Panzer for Carbons demoralizing a beautiful piece of wood.Maybe he didn't caress it right when he shot it. You know these Upnorth rough mountain man types. Ok, I at least finish the box of cereal. Sounds good Caster as long as you keep the shock out of it. I can use heavy arrows and it doesn't kick like a Bay Mule and shoots fast.     :readit:    :D
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I thought you liked Bay Mules.  What was the name of that mule I saw a pic of you riding in the past.

O.K.  >  Back to the regularly scheduled program!!!  LOL!!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
I had the same experience as Brian, shot where I looked was smooth to draw, but kicked like a mule and was slow as mollases. On the positive side it was probably one of the quietest recurves Ive ever shot, would I buy another one, no.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
I don't own one now, and in retrospect it was very shocky and I always bragged about how slow it was! LOL My Mississippi Lake Longbows are quieter AND faster than the Mahaska I had, not to mention alot smoother.
Would I get another? probably not, I love shooting longbows now. Would I recommend someone getting one? I think if you keep the weight down and order one with a very heavy riser it might serve you well.
Afterall, they are the quietest recurve I have ever shot.
BD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©