Author Topic: What makes a bow unique  (Read 787 times)

Offline Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
What makes a bow unique
« on: November 10, 2023, 10:07:50 AM »
With there only being so many was to shape a laminate bow form what makes a bow "your bow"? Must you design the shape yourself even though it could be very similar to others. Or is it the workmanship that goes into making it?

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes a bow unique
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »
I like curves, I have spent many hours on my CAD drawing bows to find what Cranks my Tractor.
This one does it for me. :jumper:
Look at all 3 photos.
Not to crazy about the grip :dunno:
https://www.artchers-land.de/store/product/2-damon-howatt-el-dorado-lh-30-28

Kirk's limbs bend like this pretty much :bigsmyl:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 01:25:18 PM by Mad Max »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 01:22:58 PM »
It's all in the way you shape your riser and/or the way the limbs bend.

All the same bow , but I can add a insert to the form or take it out to make it look different.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 05:57:52 PM »
That's pretty cool!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 10:07:29 AM »
I always wanted to have a contest among a dozen experienced bowyers to see who could build a TD bow with the best performance with everyone using the same limb form.  The bowyer can change the length of the limb , move the stops, skies the limit on taper rates and wedges, and put what ever riser they want.

I’m quite certain we would end up with 12 different bows from 12 different bowyers that had a 20 FPS spread in arrow speed at the same GPP arrow weight.

I always thought that might be fun to do…. :biglaugh:

My point being…. You can get a dozen different bows with completely different characteristics out of the same form shape just by sliding the limb one way or the other in the form, changing up wedge lengths, taper rates, tip notch locations, limb pad angle, and riser shape.

On top of that …..you start changing up materials used, and things get different results again…..  bottom line is….. it is the bowyer that makes the bow unique, not the shape of the form.      Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 12:39:47 PM »
I always wanted to have a contest among a dozen experienced bowyers to see who could build a TD bow with the best performance with everyone using the same limb form.  The bowyer can change the length of the limb , move the stops, skies the limit on taper rates and wedges, and put what ever riser they want.

I’m quite certain we would end up with 12 different bows from 12 different bowyers that had a 20 FPS spread in arrow speed at the same GPP arrow weight.

I always thought that might be fun to do…. :biglaugh:

My point being…. You can get a dozen different bows with completely different characteristics out of the same form shape just by sliding the limb one way or the other in the form, changing up wedge lengths, taper rates, tip notch locations, limb pad angle, and riser shape.

On top of that …..you start changing up materials used, and things get different results again…..  bottom line is….. it is the bowyer that makes the bow unique, not the shape of the form.      Kirk

If this idea ever gets any traction. I'd be down to give this a try.
I think it would be a great learning experience for all.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »
I use what i call "Carpenter Cad" to play with limb shapes.... Just get a hand full of 8-12 penny nails, a piece of 1/4" hard board or plywood, and a piece of 1.5" width fiberglass 36" long and have at it.

:biglaugh: 

You can bend that glass anyway you like and then stand back and look at it, and adjust it just adding more nails and flexing the glass. I like using 1/4" MDF for pattern stock because it sands so smooth and you can use a router with a flush cutting bit to transfer the shape to your form.

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©