Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New focus, better results  (Read 2870 times)

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New focus, better results
« on: September 20, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
Growing up in this game, I was always schooled to maintain all of my focus on the target. "Drill a hole through it" And while we need to maintain that focus I still felt my form was missing something. So over the years and countless reads on leaving the aim to the Sub Conscious, I started noodling around, suffering through TP badly and putting the bow down for many frequent spells. I found that I had become obsessed getting to anchor. Because of that I found that I was focusing on holding the string and not the pull on the string. It's sounds the same but trust me it's not, you can feel the difference in the muscle transfer from the hand to your back.  Somehow both ways allowed me to have a dynamic release but the obvious benefits to making sure I wasn't squeezing the string vs pulling the string have been very appreciative.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New focus, better results
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:25:43 PM »
Hi Pete, it sounds like what you are talking about is important; however, I can't understand exactly how you were drawing the bow before, and how you are drawing it now to make it better.  Maybe I’m just thick headed.  What is “squeezing the string?”
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:00:43 AM »
SO I draw the same with a rotational draw but when I mean squeezing the string, I am referring to more hand curl vs a flat back of hand or commonly as a hook.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:16:16 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.  Things do go better when the back of the drawing hand is flat and relaxed, don't they!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 11:27:51 AM »
I certainly does Sir !! What you quoted from Ron regarding how the back is the real anchor point was perfect. I believe is most archers just followed that advice, the number of shooting woes would diminish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©