INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: VA benefits, licenses  (Read 4017 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
VA benefits, licenses
« on: May 21, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
I just had a pleasant "benefits " experience I want to pass along. I live in AZ. A 100% disabled vet can get a combo hunting and fishing license free. If your rating is permanent it is a one time thing. If you are to be reviewed then it is good for a year. What was cool was Az. Game and Fish website gave the necessary instructions on how to obtain the letter from VA you need. No trip to VA for signatures. I took the printout to the G&F office and got my license. I still have to pay for any tags or stamps. It was worth looking into.
I know other states have programs like this for Vets so you might want to check it out

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA benefits, licenses
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
I don't have enough disability to get any break on the licenses other than being old. My total licenses for everything in Texas is $32/yr. I can afford that.
I did get a pleasant surprise the other day from the VA. I don't have to get Part D coverage for medicare, and maybe won't need the supplemental coverage. That saves a lot.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
The last I checked, Texas vets hunting lic is free if you have an ID, ie active or retired.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I dropped the Medicare part D as well. I have all my meds from them. I only take a couple anyway. Worst case would be a $10 copayment if VA got nasty about the meds being service connected or not.
Things have changed from when I goy into the system back in early 2000's. It seems now if you have other than gov coverage i.e. Blue Cross, Blue Sheild they have been known to turn Vets away. But if you are on Medicare and over 65 having a supplement insurance is OK. You pretty much have to keep on top of things all the time these days.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks Danny. I checked on that and they are free if you are on active duty or if you getting 50% or better service connected disability from the VA.
I will gladly pay the $32 rather than meet those other qualifiers...
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Colorado has a lifetime free combo small game/fishing license for disabled veterans.  A couple years ago I took the time to read the reg through and discovered it also includes vets with a purple heart.

Took myself and DD214 to the Dow office and was qualified and issued in ten minutes.  I always spring five bucks for a second rod stamp.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »
IL has free hunting and fishing with 10%

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
I am 100% disabled through the VA and get my Oregon hunting/fishing license free also. I also have an Oregon Disabilities permit, plus get free camping at any Federal/State campgrounds. I have permanent VA disability plates on my vehicle so, don't have to pay for tags every two years either.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
I think a lot of states are like that now. Louisiana is too if youre 50% or higher, but you have to renew yearly. This will be the first year ill be doing the paperwork for it. It looks like a single sheet here that has to be signed, but who needs to sign it will be the interesting part...lol

Offline shamus275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
Michigan is free (almost) for 100% Disabled Veterans. You still have to pay for application fees for special hunts and then pay the license fee for that hunt if your number is drawn. I generally pay about $20 a year for the special hunts if drawn.
Bear Takedown
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©