INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 32387 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I'd like to introduce you to the St Jude's Rover Gals for 2009/2010....Miss Hope and Faith by Dryad!!! Mike 'wingnut' Westvang has stepped up and donated the bows for this years effort, and did an outstanding job let me tell ya!  

I just got through shooting Hope, and this is a realy nice recurve design.  Its a really good shooter and quiet, very quiet for a recurve and so I oped to leave off the Bow Hush as this bow doesn't need it. Whisper quiet with just Hush Puppies.  

Inside the case is a journal to list name, date, location and animal if taken and you can even add a hero photo if you like. And a schedule list of names, addresses, and dates of hunters so we'll know who's got it when and where she goes next.

The twins will travel around North America hunting for a year with different Trad Gang members. At the end of the year each bow with her respective journal will be put up on our 2010 St Jude's Auction. Each hunter could also offer up the arrow he or she used to the St Jude's if they'd like, or they could keep it themselves as a memento. That option would be up to the individual.  Anyway, we are going to keep them in hunting season all year.

The lefty, Faith is Osage with a Curly Bubinga swoop and overlays.  Limbs are bamboo with canary wood veneers.  She is 58” ntn and 53 @ 28.

The right handed bow, Hope is Osage with a Shedua swoop and overlay.  Limbs are bamboo with canary wood veneers.  She is 58” ntn and 53 @ 28.

The Gals will be leaving out Monday UPS....wish them luck!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
This will be a great journey. I like my Dryad. Mike and Jason, are good friends and fine men. Look forward to the stories. Thanks guys! The kids will appreciate it. I know we do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
We are looking forward to reading the adventures of the girls as they travel this year.  Remember that if you are one of the lucky ones to have the bow for a month, you have the responsibility to tell us about it.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Looking forward to some time with hope next spring!! Thanks Mike and Jason!!!

Smoke
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
who do we contact for time with the ladies?
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
First arrow,

There is a thread going "are you hunting for the right cause"  that is the scheduling thread for the girls.  If you are a Lefty, there may be spots open.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Mike,

Looking forward to getting some time with Hope.  I'm scheduled for "first out of the box" for her.  Can't wait!  She will be traveling with me to South Carolina at the end of the month to chase hogs with Ray Hammond.

I'll see how she likes chasing hogs.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Hope is coming my way in April to chase some turkeys.  I'll be sure to post my adventures.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Hope just arrived in Kentucky!!!!  Opened the case and pulled out the riser.  She's gorgeous!!!!  

Normally I shoot some on my lunch break, but my Jeep is in the shop today so I won't be able to do anything until after work.  What a Bummer!!!

I'll keep everyone posted on how she is doing.

Marvin

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Terry & Mike,
 I recieved "FAITH" and she is a Dandy !! She will be on in Quebec starting this Saturday and will let you know about her adventure when I return the end of this month.She will be passed around to all the Lefties in camp and maybe even a few Righties with yank er back too.

Thanks
                  Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Where I can I  find the list for Faith.  Would like to find out if I got a spot or not.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Badger,

Get ahold of Guru, he's the scheduling guru this year.  LOL

MIke
Mike Westvang

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Hope and I are getting acquainted.  Picking arrows and getting comfortable with each other.  I'm scheduled at Ray Hammond's in two weeks.  Early squirrel season is open here in KY through next Friday.  I might be able to hit the woods oen afternoon after work for a little pre-hog chasing hunt.  I'll let you know if I make it out.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures Marv....

Can you give us a little insite about your arrow set up when you get it figured out?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Curt,

Still working on it.  Got some POC's that are 29" BOP and 55 -- 60 pounds (I think) with 125 grain points. They look good but they are kicking up when I shoot.  If I nock them above the nocking point they shoot great.  I've tried adjusting the brace height to bring it in, but no luck.  The string has the nocking point glued on (not adjustable), so I've twisted up a new B50 string to try out.  I'll be working on it tonight or tomorrow.

2016's do the same thing, so I'm going to try the new string and see if I can get them working.  I'll donate the string with a brass nocking point when I send it on if it works, in case someone else needs the same thing.

Eleven days till I'm chasing pigs!!!!

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Seems like there was a journal included last year, but if I remember correctly not everyone added to the journal as it went around.  Is that something that everyone wants?  If so, I'll throw some kind of a notebook in the case for that also.

What do you think?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Marv, that's a good idea with the moveable nock point.....there's no way one setting will work for everyone....

I believe this year it's just a bow, but if you want to add a little book to write in I think that would be great...some will use it, some won't...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Rained last night here so I didn't get to work on the string.  Should be able to start dialing it in at lunch today.

I'll throw some kind of "journal" in there and write up what I find on set up.  The string will stay with it.

Supposed to rain just about every afternoon this week.  I was hoping to make a short squirrel hunt with Hope but the season ends here on Friday and it doesn't look like I'll get to make it right now.  Too much prep for the hog hunt going on.  Maybe I can still make it work though.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
It's a whopping 95 here in Kentucky.  Just got back from my lunch break where I shot Hope some.  I've got a field about three miles down the road that I have permission to shoot in.

I twisted up a new string out of B50 and added a brass nocking point so I can adjust the nocking height.  What I'm finding is that (at least for me) I have to set the nocking point a full inch above the shelf.  Thre brace height I like best so far is seven and a quarter inches.  I'll continue to play with that some as I get ready to take Hope to SC next weekend.  Disclaimer here -- I shoot three under and have no formal accuracy training, so your results may vary.  

The bow shoots equally well with 2016's and POC's that are 55-60.  My arrows are 29 inches and I use 125 grain points.  

The bow shoots well enough that in shooting at dandelion puffs (my favorite target on lunch hour), my second shot with Judo's busted a nock.  Both shots were two inches low (my fault, I'm sure) from twelve yards.

Added some yarn silencers before I left to quiet it down and I now get a satisfying little thud when I shoot.

I bought a small journal that I will throw in when I send the bow on and will document set-up and my hunt.  

The next recipeint will get the new string that I twisted up as well as the original string.

Looking forward to the hunt next week.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
Marvin,

Why did you twist a new string for the bow.  There is a string with it.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©