Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What glove do you use when bowhunting with a sidearm?  (Read 9849 times)

Offline MedicWithAMouth

• Trad Bowhunter
What glove do you use when bowhunting with a sidearm?
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey guys, this is my first post here.  I've been lurking for the past. Purple months, and thoroughly enjoyed the community here. I'm pretty new to hunting, but shot bows in 4-H and JOAD when I was in high school.

I'm just wondering what all y'all like for a glove when you're hunting dangerous game, and still want to have quick access and good trigger control should something go apocalyptically wrong and you have to draw your side arm. (Assuming you hunt with a sidearm.... If not, or if you use a tab, I'd still be interested in hearing what gear you use.)

Take care,
Chris

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What glove do you use when bowhunting with a sidearm?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I hunt with a tab exclusively, so it is no problem to quickly flip it around and pull the pistol. I don't hunt much dangerous game, so I carry a handgun primarily for two legged predators, making a quick draw generally unnecessary.
Sam

Offline MedicWithAMouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Sam, thanks for the input!

Your not the first person to suggest a tab, and I used them when I was shooting Olympic style archery. I might have to look into that option again, as I'm having a bear of a time finding a glove that I like.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Try a  bateman tab and keep the elastic loose.

I don't think I could get my fingers inside of a trigger guard with a glove on.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline MedicWithAMouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I'll check out the Bateman.

I ordered a cavalier elite because a lot of the guys I shot JOAD with really liked it, and Amazon was able to get it here soon enough that I'll be able to use it the next time I can make it to the range, but I'm considering the black widow Palm tab and tuff safari as well,

Offline MedicWithAMouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
When I was originally researching this, I found jack squat, so I figure on the off chance anyone else is interested, I'll post an update:

Tried shooting with the cavalier elite tab today, and loved it.  I've been having two problems since getting back into archery: inadequate finger protection, and I've been short drawing the bow a little bit.
The tab fixed the protection issue, and the adjustable shelf is helping me with establlishing a better anchor point.

It became immediately obvious however, that the tab would not just flop out of the way when drawing a side arm.  I'll be playing with simply ripping off the cord lock for dry fire training (with the sidearm, not dry firing the bow) to see if I can remove it quickly enough to get an acepptable draw stroke.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
The key is to find a handgun that has a trigger guard large enough to accommodate a glove of any type.  Sig's and HK's have pretty large trigger guards.  I can shoot my Sig with my shooting glove.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
My question is what, dangerous game will you be hunting and where? Concentrate on getting close and putting a sharp broadhead in the boiler room with a minimum amount of noise. Shot selection is paramount. I don't consider a pistol to be effective against dangerous, game although it is better than nothing. By law, most truly dangerous game hunts will require a guide to be present. Let him tote the firearm and you worry about your shot. As for tab or glove, shoot the one your most comfortable with. Good luck and shoot straight.   :archer2:

Online mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
I was in a tree stand when a red fox came along and stopped right under me.  I was wearing an old Bear glove, but had a .41 magnum in a shoulder holster.  Thinking I could get the sixgun into action quieter, I pulled it.  After silently cocking the revolver, I eased my trigger finger into place.  I forgot about that big ridge of leather sewn on top of my finger, and the gun shot as quick as I inserted my finger.  The fox crouched down low on the ground, wringing his tail in a circle, and I thought for a second I had hit him.  Nope, he was just winding his mainspring.  Last I saw of him, he was going over the hill with his tail outrunning his nose.
Murray Seratt

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
I've never carried while bowhunting, but the most "dangerous" I've hunted has been black bear.  In fact, the only time I carry is when traveling just in case I encounter an immoral coward.

However, I wouldn't have an issue with the tab or glove because I'm RH but shoot a bow LH because I'm left-eye dominant.

I love the Cavalier Elite tab even though I shoot 3-under.

Offline ouachitamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
my Damascus glove was real good for being able to manipulate things while it was on, but idk if I would trust it in that situation. lol
Genesis 27:3

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I carry my glock 10mm and shoot with a big shot glove.  No problems.  We have plenty hogs around but the sidearm is for two legged critters.  Unfortunately they're the danger.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
I carry a 38 special normally, we have a gun happy neighbor that shoots at motion.  I don't wear a glove or tab, so that's how I get around it.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
I am  in a unique place.  I shoot a bow right handed and a handgun left handed.  Maybe you should work on your ambidextrous chops.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:00 AM »
I'm going to second the Damascus glove for me. But also I accidentally broke it in backwards, so the thin leather is against the string not the padded side. Now I'm much more used to this feel. Regularly carry my .41 Blackhawk when stalking for picks in close cover. Got 3 feet from one a few years ago before either of us knew it.    :scared:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
I shoot bow lefty and handgun right hand, no worries here.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline Dalton Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I would consider looking into the black widow tab....that's what I use and up here we don't have to worry about two legged varmints as much but we've got some critters bigger than volkswagons. I carry a .44 mag. New Model Super Blackhawk and my tab is easy enough to flip to the back side of my hand to have quick access to my pistol. In my opinion the black widow tabs are the best all around tabs there are and the versatility is priceless in the field. Honestly though....don't buy everything people say works because it doesn't always prove true in the field. Do your homework and try your best not to have to end the stalk with a pistol!!! Good luck
Dalton

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 01:18:00 AM »
Probably to late to respond to this, but If I leave  the house to hunt a animal that bits. My wife insist on me taking my pistol. I am already pretty  slow as is with a cane , all. I use a Caff hair tipped glove (my favorite one). It fits through the trigger guard of my 1911 perfectly. I shoot with it on a lot. If using glove or tab makes sure you can work the firearm ,and shoot accurately.

Ps. If your worried about killing animal quickly then that means you need to practice more.
Best of luck
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline MedicWithAMouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Sorry for the hiatus and necro-post, but life's been busy.

Normally I'd let sleeping threads lie, BUT I figured i should post my solution in case someone else is wondering "how can I bow hunt AND still be able to draw my side arm if I need it?"

The solution I found for me was to use an AEE Cavelier tab, with the spacer on, and not use the finge loop. If I need to, I can drop it, but I have noticed zero loss of performance so far, and I can wear light weight gloves, with it, which will help with the whole hyperthermia prevention thing.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
I use the Damascus glove and can draw and fire my Smith n Wesson just fine  I don't know why somebody would say a pistol wouldn't be effective against dangerous game ? Not to turn this into a topic about the lethality of hand guns but I promise any magnum sized round will transfer more kinetic energy in a o **** face to face him or me encounter
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©