3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MA-3 broadhead  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
MA-3 broadhead
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Picked up a six pack of these on a whim.  Spent less then 5 minutes on one and it got crazy sharp.  Always hear people call them a small game head, but they look big game worthy to me.  What am I missing?

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MA-3 broadhead
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
They just use em for small gave cause they're cheap.
Just remember long before the MA-3, people killed all sorts of stuff with pointy sticks and pointier rocks.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I've killed a bunch of Mule Deer and some elk in the 60's with the MA3  .  Maybe the deer got tougher over the years LOL

Offline SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I have a dozen old stock MA3Ls glued up on some Chundoo arrows just awaiting for deer season.  I'm interested to see how they compare performance wise to a Woodsman.  40 odd years ago they killed deer just as dead as a Bear Razorhead.  I'm betting they still will!   :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
An MA-3 killed my first deer with a bow over 50 years ago. It was a good head then and still is.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I'm one of those "small game only" guys when it comes to the MA3.  I CANNOT get them sharp enough!  Also, I shoot lighter bows and don't want to lose the penetration of the three blade.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Spookeytooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
My father used ma3,s back in the day... Old school
"I don't claim to know everything; I just know a lot about nothing"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
My family and I used a bunch of MA-3's through the years. Don't know why people would not think the would work on big game. They work great!

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Just ordered a 6 pack of MA3s for 16.00 [130 gr glue on] going to test them of a few pigs in the back of the house at the pond. Shafts will be sitka spruce. I bet the pigs are gonna be in trouble.
   :archer2:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
I use them on small game because I get them dirt cheap or at no cost. I once got 4 dozen MA-3's and Bodkins for $5 at a swap meet. Last year my buddy gave me 3 dozen more he got from an old bow deal.

I'm always on the lookout for cheap broadheads. Hunting groundhogs is my passion and go through several heads per summer. Just yesterday I shot a nice one with a MA-3 and lost the whole arrow down the G-hog hole. Cheap arrow, cheap head, not a problem.

I would not be afraid to use them on big game. The steel is somewhat soft, which typically means easily sharpened.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline David Ricke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
If my memory is correct the MA-3 came in two sizes. 125gr being the smallest. Good hunting Knifemaker

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I once got 4 dozen MA-3's and Bodkins for $5 at a swap meet.  
Not wanting to steer the thread into the ditch, but, are the Bodkins still made and where can they be gotten?
Monterey

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
3rivers has Bodkins as well as the Ma3, seemed a little pricey to me though...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Yeah, at those prices there are too many way better options for the same price or a little more.  Ace and STOS for starters.
Monterey

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Just a little food for thought.......theres a good reason why they have been around for so many yrs.....  
cause they work!   :thumbsup:
Most generally you can gauge the success of a product by its longevity on the market.....need I say more?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I never kilt anything but woodchucks with them, but I sure did collect a lot of em over the years.
Time to move em on.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I miss the MA-2's. Killed a lot of deer with them & never minded taking a shot at small game either since a 6 pack was about $12.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I just killed my 9th groundhog this season with an MA-3. One with my Brackenbury recurve, the rest with my new Abbott longbow.

MA-3's do a job on them.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©