3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 60/120 vs 90 degree fletch  (Read 2095 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
60/120 vs 90 degree fletch
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
   What are the advantages and disadvantages of shooting 4 fletch arrows betwwen these two configurations? I have always been a 5.5" three fletch guy, but am going to give the 4 fletch a go, just need some advice. Oh and these will be on AD Trad heavies if that makes any difference.  Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 60/120 vs 90 degree fletch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Like you,I have always shot 5 1/2" High Shield 3 fletch with an 11degree helical (and still do) They spin like a top!!!!!

A few years ago,a friend of mine who was a compound shooter turned Longbow guy,wanted to re-fletch a bunch of his old aluminium arrows with feathers.He already had a Jo-Jan multi-fletcher but it had a straight clamp. We set it at 4-90 and fletched up a dozen arrows with 4 chartruse 5 1/2" High Shield feathers and took them out back for a "test-flight".....

WELL!!!!! was I impressed!!!!! They flew perfectly straight right off the shelf stablizing VERY quickly!!!!! and they looked like a ROCKET flying to the target!!!!!

I would say that 4-90 would work just fine!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I have been shooting 4 fletch for years now and have tried both configurations. I don't own a video camera let alone a high speed one, so I am not able to determine any difference in flight. I have heard from many that the 60/120 gives better clearance but personally have not been able to tell. I would suggest you try both and see what you like. I prefer 4-90 because for me it seems easier to replace individual feathers as needed. In any case I think 4 fletch with 4 inch feathers is superior to 3 fletch but that is just my opinion. Give it a try and have fun.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Charlie Lamb got me to try 4 fletch about 2 years ago and for that (as well as many other things) I'm grateful. I really believe it's superior to 3 fletch, especially in a 4x4" low profile bananna configuration I use. I have no video proof etc, but like Deadsmple, I'm convinced.

I've tried both 4x90 and 4x75/105 and can't tell a bit of difference between the 2. I shoot 4x90 now but for no other reason than I've left my jig set up that way.

Give it a try, especially with smaller feathers than you are using on your normal 3fletch. I think you'll be pleased wih the results.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
JC,  Are you shooting straight or helical fletch?
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Helical, 4x90 4" low profile nanners...

I'll bring you some to the banquet if you want to try 'em.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
JC,  If you have a couple I could try I would like to.

Thanks
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I shoot cock feather in or 4 fletch ala Kelly P...for me, it boils down to clearance...either shelf or riser.  Put a conventional feltched arrow on the string and view clearance, then a cock feather in or Kelly special...its clearance...less shelf/riser contact possibilities.

How much it helps???  Who knows...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
I haven't the years of back ground shooting traditional bows that most here do. But building arrows i'm no stranger too. with a 4 fletch configuration of 4 inch fletching you have 16" of feathers stabilizing the arrow ....with 3 at 5.5" inches you have 16.5 inches. if the two different configurations had the same heilical set up the 4 fletch will stabilize quicker than the 3 fletch, because it has more drag to it. considering the velosity of the average trad bow, and the short ranges used in hunting. you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two though. But you would definately notice a difference down range at 40 - 60 yards. my .02 cents....Kirk

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
My latest experiment was a dozen 4x90's and a dozen 60/120's (1916's). All in 4 inch parabolic. I used a LW with a straight clamp in my Bitzy. I can tell ZERO difference.

I just mix and match now because there are no detectable differences. (for me anyway)

I have not tried the "Kelley" style yet. I think they are supposed to have the absolute least shelf/riser contact. That'll be my next dozen.

(Man this is fun!)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Kirk, the 4fletch would only have more drag if the surface area of the feathers was greater...I use lower profile 4" feathers that have much less surface area than a standard 5"para or shield specifically for that reason. My 4 fletch land approx 3" higher at 50 yards than my older 3x5" shield cuts (though not sure if this is because the arrow stabilizes better or if surface are of the fletch is that much less, maybe both).

I think the 4x configuration stabilizes faster, even with the smaller fletch, not sure why...but I still think they do.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I think I will try the 4 4" fletch. It sure is easier to get feathers this way(don't have to order from 3R). What is the Kelly style fletch you guys mentioned? Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
My last batch is my best flying set of woodies to date.   I did 4 x 5" 60x120, and then re-orient the nock just a tad for shelf clearance.  

Simply awesome. I used to do 4x4" which works well to, but I wanted a more stable arrow for broadhead use.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Matt, the 60/120 is the "Kelly" configuration. Check out the Foxfire Traditional Archery website they are a sponsor here. In it you can find a good tutorial to set up the 60/120. Have fun!
All praise is the Lords

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I've been shooting 4 4" parabolics fletched helical at 90 degrees. It seems to work very well for me -- very forgiving.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Quick question, were are you guys getting the 4'' banana cut feathers, every place I look they only carry 5''........stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
To be honest I have no idea where to find 4" bananas. I cut my own   :)
All praise is the Lords

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©