3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gluing fletching  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Gluing fletching
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:56:54 PM »
I have the bitzenburger jig gluing fletching.  Every odd feather, despite squeezing the clamp and arrow, I can see the slightest, almost indiscernible air gap.  How much trouble will this cause me I’m wondering. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:19:58 PM by Vroomvroom »

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Re: Gluing fletching
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:01:17 PM »
Here’s a picture

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 08:16:06 PM »
You may not be putting enough glue on the quill.  I put enough on the quill that it squeezes out on the sides.  With platinum anyway, it pretty much disappears as it drys.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:18:30 PM »
Possible. I honestly don’t remember the brand now. “Fletch it “ or something. No label on the bottle.  It does squeeze out a little. This for the most part will disappear  as well. At least the majority. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 08:24:03 PM »
You don't want to have any air gaps.  They start out looking fine, but get some moisture in there and they swell up and look awful.

The brand I use is Fletchtite Platinum.  Not sayin it's the best, but a lot of people use it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 09:20:25 PM »
I will get a picture of the bottle tomorrow.  Not sure why some lay flat, good contact with the arrow shaft. Other feathers leave slight gap.  Pressing pretty good. Must be how I got the clamp on them.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 09:54:41 PM »
I put my feathers in the clamp and then pull them out just enough, so that when I push the clamp into place, it pushes the feather slightly back into the clamp.  I'm not the fanciest arrow fletcher in the world, but that gets my feathers completely and cleanly attached to the shaft.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:16:58 AM »
I run my thumb nail between the quill and the clamp, it creates a little gap adjusts to the arrows shaft as I place the feather.  Basically the Same thing Archie is doing. 
Also, always check how you nock is seated when using a Bitzenberger, they can shift some when turning the nock holder to the next position.  The nocks with big indicators do not fit well and push the arrow slightly off center making the feathers seat differently. You need to file the indicator down oecut a grove in the Bitz nock holder so it allows the nock to seat properly.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:27:01 AM »
I found the problem and the solution. This applies to a LH Jig.  Do the reverse for a RH jig.  If you look down the HELICAL clamp you will see that it is concaved. It is made this way so the clamp will follow the curvature of the shaft, for full contact. It has one position in the jig that is best for any given size shaft.  A thin graphite will differ from any larger diameter shaft.  The solution is to reset the adjustments, both top and bottom for the shaft to be fletched. First set a shaft in with flat thumb index facing up. Assuming you are going to install LW feathers do the following: loosen the bottom adjustment and move it all the way to the right, then tighten it with the allen wrench, but not too tight.  Next go the the upper adjustment, with the clamp in the jig, slide the clamp to the left until the clamp is in full contact without a feather and then tighten, but not over-tight.  If you hold the Jig up to a light and you see a gap, then repeat these instructions, because you want the clamp contact to be along the full length. That means both edges of the clamp, so the feather will be flat on the shaft. 

I found it is easier to get the adjustments needed then to adjust each feather in the jig or on the shaft with or without glue applied.

If you have a number of LH or RH jigs, the manufacturer has a gauge for each that can be set in the JIG after loosening the adjustment screws.  I has a strong magnet that pulls it into the correct setting. Assuming the gauge was inserted in the jig correctly.

If you need to set the adjustment for a STRAIGHT clamp which is flat, the offset is very small, or the quill contact will only be in contact along one EDGE of the feather. 

If you have an old model Bitz the two adjustments knobs and set screws are smaller, and easily stripped with a small Allen wrench. Over-tightening will eventually wear out the adjustment screw.  You can buy newer knobs and screws for most Jigs.

Think of the problem and solution with Helical jig/clamp as to maximize the adjustment and with straight clamps to minimize the adjustment. 

Warning:  do not use a LH jig with a right-hand clamp or the reverse. The jigs are not identical. The adjustment slots in the jig are sized for either LH or RH adjustment knobs, not both.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:44:14 AM by Hud »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 12:36:10 AM »
Once I discovered Fletch Tape I have never considered gluing fletching again. I have never had a taped joint fail. The tape and fletching are also removable without damaging the fletching or cresting. And, it is faster to fletch with tape. No more waiting for glue to dry. The bond is instant. I was initially skeptical, but trusted a friend’s recommendation. It is a fantastic product.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 07:57:29 AM »
X2 on Fletching tape, easy to use and when I remove the clamp, running my finger over the feather ensures a solid fit.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 08:02:54 AM »
Must be strong bond with the tape as the glue for these seems really strong. I also use to bow the middle of the fletching out from the clamp so when I press it onto the shaft it squeezes on it. But I didn’t last night.   I also think some of the issue it the ends of the fletching/clamp squeezes tighter than the center. So that bit ends will be solid in the clamp where as the center can move a little

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 09:20:55 AM »
After applying the fletch I run the back of an exacto knife along the quill to ensure it is seated on the shaft.  Works every time.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 09:33:14 AM »
Once I discovered Fletch Tape I have never considered gluing fletching again. I have never had a taped joint fail. The tape and fletching are also removable without damaging the fletching or cresting. And, it is faster to fletch with tape. No more waiting for glue to dry. The bond is instant. I was initially skeptical, but trusted a friend’s recommendation. It is a fantastic product.
Really didnt answer his question though.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 10:43:56 AM »
VR, what you're describing is a less than optimally adjusted clamp.  Follow Hud's directions to adjust it correctly.  Also good suggestions from Archie and Walt. Leave some feather out of the clamp so it will be pushed into the camp as it's seated.  I leave about an eighth inch feather protruding along the quill.  I also squeeze the clamp so it's tighter on the feather as I mount it and push it down onto the shaft.  After clamping, I examine the fletch to make sure it's tight along the shaft.  If not, I open the clamp slightly, back it off a quarter inch or so and reseat the feather.  Another way of doing it is to insert a stick pin point between the quill and clamp, forcing the feather to contact the shaft.

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 10:54:05 AM »
Great advice by all I would put my arrow in the jig and place the clamp in it to make sure the clamp sets flush on the shaft . If the clamp doesn't you can file the high spots down to set flush. Your fletch base might be ground level. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 12:40:18 PM »
I found the problem and the solution. This applies to a LH Jig.  Do the reverse for a RH jig.  If you look down the HELICAL clamp you will see that it is concaved. It is made this way so the clamp will follow the curvature of the shaft, for full contact. It has one position in the jig that is best for any given size shaft.  A thin graphite will differ from any larger diameter shaft.  The solution is to reset the adjustments, both top and bottom for the shaft to be fletched. First set a shaft in with flat thumb index facing up. Assuming you are going to install LW feathers do the following: loosen the bottom adjustment and move it all the way to the right, then tighten it with the allen wrench, but not too tight.  Next go the the upper adjustment, with the clamp in the jig, slide the clamp to the left until the clamp is in full contact without a feather and then tighten, but not over-tight.  If you hold the Jig up to a light and you see a gap, then repeat these instructions, because you want the clamp contact to be along the full length. That means both edges of the clamp, so the feather will be flat on the shaft. 

I found it is easier to get the adjustments needed then to adjust each feather in the jig or on the shaft with or without glue applied.

If you have a number of LH or RH jigs, the manufacturer has a gauge for each that can be set in the JIG after loosening the adjustment screws.  I has a strong magnet that pulls it into the correct setting. Assuming the gauge was inserted in the jig correctly.

If you need to set the adjustment for a STRAIGHT clamp which is flat, the offset is very small, or the quill contact will only be in contact along one EDGE of the feather. 

If you have an old model Bitz the two adjustments knobs and set screws are smaller, and easily stripped with a small Allen wrench. Over-tightening will eventually wear out the adjustment screw.  You can buy newer knobs and screws for most Jigs.

Think of the problem and solution with Helical jig/clamp as to maximize the adjustment and with straight clamps to minimize the adjustment. 

Warning:  do not use a LH jig with a right-hand clamp or the reverse. The jigs are not identical. The adjustment slots in the jig are sized for either LH or RH adjustment knobs, not both.

Wow, this is helpful!  Thank you very much for taking the time to share this information.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©