3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: COMPACT STRING TRACKER INFO AND OCTOBER SPECIAL  (Read 1390 times)

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
COMPACT STRING TRACKER INFO AND OCTOBER SPECIAL
« on: October 04, 2023, 06:09:54 PM »
I am making this post since hunting season is upon us and many are not familiar with string tracking devices in general and my minimalistic version in particular.   I call it the Tradtracker.

I have used various versions of it for around 25 years.   Before that I had tried commercially available string tracking devices but have had some bad experiences with them.   The worst one was when I once shot it with the string between my fingers and the riser and received a nasty cut.   Another time I shot it while forgetting to remove the cap and the arrow bounced back at me.  In addition, it was heavy, somewhat cumbersome, the string was noisy, and it did influence arrow flight, especially at the longer distances.

My Tradtracker addresses all these issues.   If the string happened to be caught on your hand the string will just break will little or effect on the shot.   The protective cap is not secured hard enough to stop the shot if in place so forgetting to remove it is not an issue.    The entire unit weighs less than 1.5 ounces and is less than 4 inches long and 1 inch wide.  It is hardly noticeable on your bow.

It mounts to the bow with an extremely secure dual lock fastening material but can be easily removed and mounted on other bows.   A man recently told me that he did not want to stick anything on his bow, so I came up with an attachment system using 1/8-inch bungee material as an alternative.  It can be mounted on any bow in several different places depending on the shooter’s preference. I prefer to place it just opposite my bow hand just above my fingers with the dual lock system.    It should be mounted below the hand or a little higher when using the bungee system so the bungee does not interfere with the arrow shelf.

The unit is quiet when shot and at least within the bounds of my shooting ability has no effect on arrow flight at even the outside borders of hunting distances.    I have tested it with a compound out to 35 yards and see no more than a 2- or 3-inch difference in groups.

If there is any disadvantage in mine compared to the commercially available tracking systems, it is there is only approximately 330 yards of thread, and it is not nearly as strong as the string used on other systems.    Even so, it will generally go through the thickest brush on the animal’s departure.   If it does break it will generally get you well started on a blood trail.    Also, if you chose to take an exceptionally long shot you can snap it or cut it off with your broadhead.

I have used it on literally dozens of whitetails, the only bear I ever killed, and a handful of Alabama hogs.    It has at times lead me straight to the animal, the beginning of a blood trail, or an arrow in the case of a miss.    It is a thrill to make a shot and see the string start zipping out of the devise.

As you can tell I am very enthusiastic about it.   I have used it for years and my plans have been to improve on the idea and market it after I retired.

I HAVE NEVER ONCE REGRETTED HAVING THE UNIT ON A HUNT BUT I HAVE ON OCCASION REGRETTED NOT HAVING IT ON!

I will say that it is not great while stalking due to having to carry a nocked arrow and the string getting caught up in the brush.   However, it is easy to attach and detach the string from the arrow.    Easiest with screw in heads where you just wrap it a few times before screwing in the head.  On fixed heads I just wrap it a few times just above the broadhead and secure it with a small piece of duct tape.

I have started a website called TRADTRACKR.COM (no E). It is available through the web site or through 3 Rivers Archery.   At around $30 it is priced less than many single broadheads!   It is sold satisfaction guaranteed or money back.
The response from my Tradgang sponsorship has been great and is greatly appreciated.

I see no downside in having one on your bow.   Worst case you can use the thread to sew on buttons!

FOR THE MONTH OF OCTOBER I WILL INCLUDE AN EXTRA PACK OF THREAD WITH EACH ORDER.
JUST MENTION IN THE NOTES THAT YOU SAW IT ON TRADGANG, OR IF YOU BUY THROUGH 3 RIVERS, SEND ME A TEXT AT 334-462-9346.
Thanks,
Norman  (aka BAMA)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: COMPACT STRING TRACKER INFO AND OCTOBER SPECIAL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »
I am looking forward to trying mine out when it arrives.  Looks like you have come up with a good, simple, reliable system.  I am interested to see whether the string "makes it" through the trees and brambles where I hunt, but it appears this may impact arrow flight less than some other string trackers.  Thanks for sponsoring the site!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 10:37:37 AM »
Super.   I have found that it will go through a lot of amazing stuff.  If the animal stops and starts it will sometimes get caught up and break but even then it can get you off to a good start.  Good luck.   Pm me your address and I will send some extra thread

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 05:31:55 PM »
I have never use one, but will at the Laredo Tusk Roundup this year.  They will be showcased and I'm sure they will get used on the hunt.

And yes, we have plenty more thread spools!!!

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »
 Hope you guys use all of the thread!!!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 09:26:54 AM »
Smokin Joe and I have a short loop road that will be PERFECT for  the tracker( I have the local already set up), not to mention the night hunting of hogs, so, if anyone wants to us the tracker can do so, and capitalize on the loop..... the loop is not the only place the tracker can work.  Anyone that want to 'set up' will be able to use them in multiple locals.

These 3 weeks are going to be a riot!!!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Buck350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 12:31:05 PM »
Wow, so simple.  I might have to order one.  :thumbsup:

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 01:00:34 PM »
Biased obviously but I have used it for years and am a huge believer in it.  I see no downside in having it on my bow.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 03:09:06 PM »
Norman,

I have received my Tracker and like what it see so far.  Now, to find a deer!

Other style string trackers recommend pulling out a good length of string (or taking several practice shots) before actually attaching it to an arrow for a hunt so the string will feed easily on the shot.

Do you find that to be needed with your spools?

Thanks!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 05:33:43 PM »
Absolutely not.  The few inches you pull out to load it is sufficient.   Just make sure there is no resistance when you pull it out

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 04:07:22 PM »
Great product and great customer service.

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »
Thanks.  I did have a conversation with a hunter this morning who killed two does with it.   One worked perfectly-the other came out with a glob of thread.   It did not affect arrow flight.   I told him it almost never happens but you should always be careful when installing the bobbin to make sure that the line comes straight out of the middle of the bobbin without overlapping any outside thread.   After installing it pull out just a few inches to make sure there is no resistance.

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
Was super surprised and pumped when I got an order from Herdbull Mike Mitten recently.   Really looking forward to hear his thoughts.   I am continuing through December to ship a 5 pack of bobbins to anyone posting a review (good or not so) here or on 3 Rivers website.   Just pm me with your name and address when you do.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 09:35:04 PM »
Norman,
It might look a little funny on my selfbow, but I am giving it a chance.  Pushed the purchase button this evening.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 11:20:53 PM »
Norman, thanks for the quick shipment. It came just in time for my Oct 30 deer hunt. It was easy to attach and very light. In the old days, tracking string was almost like dental floss. The Trad Tracker string is more like thread. I do not have extensive experience with it of course as only using it for one shot, but so far, so very good! It was very instrumental in finding my buck, although no short cut for good blood trailing techniques.  You must always stay sharp and don't lose commitment to finding a wounded animal. There are many drawbacks one could find for having a string attached to an arrow as you move through the brush or high grass. It will require your attention to some degree, which may detract momentarily from your quarry, but it may just be the tool that brings you triumph over heartache. Mike

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 09:33:58 AM »
Was super happy when I saw your order come in Mike and appreciate your post.  I honestly do not see any downside in having it attached.   Walt, cool thst you ordered.  Look forward to your thoughts!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2023, 11:03:03 AM »
Finally put mine on my Cari-Bow yesterday.  Super easy to attach!  I just need an animal to show up to test it out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 08:30:31 AM »
Nice solution Sir!

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »
Thanks.  I will mail you some for the Laredo packs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©