3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery Recovery  (Read 842 times)

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Rotator Cuff Surgery Recovery
« on: May 24, 2024, 10:36:15 AM »
I had surgery on my left shoulder last week and would like to hear from those of you who have gone through the same experience and how this impacted your shooting.  I would like to hear how long it took until you felt comfortable with shooting your normal draw weights.  I am a right-handed shooter. 

Thanks for all of the comments in advance.

John
possumtrot

Offline Buck350

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery Recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 06:08:22 PM »
I did a search for 'rotator' in the search feature, used advanced search, and clicked subject only.

Here is a thread for  2021.  https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=175699.msg2962197#msg2962197

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 06:21:01 PM »
Buck

Thanks for the link.  Read through the posts they are helpful. My stepson has his PhD in PT and he told me the reinjury rate for this type of repair is very high for those 55 and older and to be careful up to 9 months after surgery.

Thanks again
possumtrot

Offline awry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 05:01:45 AM »
Had surgery June 6th last year. Didn’t start shooting again till Dec. Some have started as early as 4 to 5 months while others not till 8 to 9 months later so your mileage may vary

Two pieces of advise: 1) do exact what your Dr. and PT tell ya. 2) get an ice machine to run ice water around the should. They are life savers and worth every penny and then some.

Offline supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 07:25:34 AM »
I had multiple partial tears and a large full depth tear and a torn bicep tendon. My repairs were done with Bio-Anchors.

I was shooting my 50#  bow in 4 months but only after it was approved by my therapists and surgeon. I could only shoot a couple shots every day or every other day for awhile. I hunted that season with my 50# recurve and killed a buck and a doe.

I had an excellent surgeon and therapist and I followed their instructions to a Tee. My surgery was a year and a half ago and I still do shoulder specific rehab exercises daily along with my regular workouts.

Everyone will heal different and the most important thing I can tell you is to follow your doctor's and therapist's instructions!

Recovery was painful and frustrating at times for me but I had a goal and kept it in mind.

Good luck and know that there are a lot of guys here that went through something similar. I found that talking with them or reading their experiences helped me.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."  Alexis Carrel.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 10:10:50 AM »
Not me but a good friend had 2 rotator cuff tears fixed and a torn bicep on Jan 6 this year. He went thru all his PT and last week drew and shot one arrow from his 40# longbow pain free.  He'll be gone for the next month traveling so that will give him more time.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 11:00:57 AM »
I'm an Occupational Therapist and Certified UE/Hand Therapist who works with patients including cuff repairs. I echo what you've already heard, follow your post op protocol and make sure you're working with a competent therapist. I just finished rehabilitating a pair of fellas who had the goal of drawing their bows... both wheely shooters. They were 'younger' and it took 3-4 months.

What draw weight are you trying to get back to?
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 10:55:55 AM »
I had a shoulder repair last summer and didn't get to shoot much and now I have a pic in my arm and still can't shoot for another eight weeks.

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 06:09:57 PM »
It was a total year before I was completely pain free. How ever I could hunt a shoot a light 38 lb bow 6 month after my surgery. I would say everyone is different.

Offline Clarkansas

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2024, 06:17:07 PM »
For the op and folks replying with experience with this injury, did you get the injury from shooting?

Offline supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 09:01:23 PM »
Clarkansas, I tore mine all at once in a fall. I slipped and my feet went out from under me. In that split second I put my hand down to try brace my fall I guess and the combination of my body weight and my momentum going forward just tore it up.

I don't recommend it.  :knothead:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Zing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 09:06:55 AM »
I have had multiple surgeries on both shoulders and RC repair on both. I was not shooting bows at the time. I would let you PT know your plans and maybe they can work up a program that would help you with it. Once you start to shoot take it slow, let your therapist know and have fun. 

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2024, 10:09:10 AM »
I had a bone spur removed and torn rotator cuff repaired twp years ago at 61.  Did PT hard.  I was shooting at 6 weeks.  I started with a 35# Sage.  Moved up quickly to a set of 45# conventional ILF limbs.  Took a few weeks before I was able to shoot my 46# Morrison Max 6 limbs.  Few mote weeks before I could shoot my Covert Hunter.  The more aggressive limbs loaded earlier in the draw cycle making them tougher to rehab into.
You just have to follow your own path.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2024, 12:50:03 PM »
I injured mine just like Supernaut. Going down a wet ramp. Feet slipped out from under me and I fell back on my elbow

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »
Mine was a Mt Bike that disappeared from under me and I did a belly flop on the concrete.  Don't think I tore anything, but bruised it good.  It wasn't a soft impact.  It's been 8 months and I am starting to feel better and shoot bows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 02:54:49 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"