3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Deer Drag  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Deer Drag
« on: December 31, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
Has anyone made a homemade deer drag?  I shot a doe last week (Hawken Muzzle Loader, sorry trad only guys)  Anyway, that doe ran about 75 yards, I had to drag her out through some pretty thick brush, all uphill of course.  I had to drag her by the hind legs, cause I didn't have a rope or a deer drag.  I have looked at the Glenn's deer drag, it's just too plastic for me.  I don't know how to bore a hole in a wood dowel. Any Ideas?
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Deer Drag
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »
I have a 6oz. one.  Called a knife- and my turkey vest.  Take out a whole boned out deer in one trip. Once you do it you'll never drag another deer.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
Thanks, Can't do that in Texas.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Michigan Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
For several years I would just saw off a 12 inch long dead branch and tie a rope around it for a deer drag. If it's a buck, tuck the front legs in his rack first and than tie off around the neck. Now I use a Cabelas game cart. Much easier.

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
BluntHead, go either to Wal-Mart(cheaper) or Cabela's there in Buda and buy a Deer Drag they are orange in color and very strong.

Brent

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
Since I was a kid I have always used a small green limb put through the cartlige of the deers nose (doe). Works for one person or two.  Bucks are a different story. Its free and you never forget to bring it.  Bill

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I haven't done it yet ,but mt safety harness that loggy bayou sent me looks like it would be perfect for the task.It straps around your waste and two more straps go under your crotch. If you use  a portable climber and use a safety belt[ you should!]I think you can utilize the safety belt somehow.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Take four lawn mower wheels with you. Wait til the deer is stiff and screw the wheels to it's feet, stand it up and push it out of the  woods.  ;)

I bought a steel game cart from Rual King for $50 and wouldn't trade it for the world. It looks just like the one you would order from Cabela's.

Another guy I hunt with uses a plastic kids sled. I would say that is the second best method.

If I was allowed to cut them up and pack them out I'd go that route, but since I can't the above works great.

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
One of the slickest,cheapest,light drags I have used is just this simple. Take a piece of nylon strap about 2 inches thick and about 36 inches long. Sew a loop in each end. Put the deers front feet up over their head put the strap around their head and feet put one end through the loop and pull tight. Now find a piece of branch and put through the other loop for a handle. This handy strap cost you pennies to make and takes up no room at all. The most important thing to remember is to keep the drag short and keep the deers feet up over their head to reduce the drag. I laugh at these guys that try to drag a deer with ten feet of rope. Another little tip is to always pull in the direction of the deers hair i.e. pull head first not the hind legs.

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Sorry that piece of nylon strap should have read 2 inches wide and 36 inches long. Sorry bout that. Brokenwing

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
I use a load sling. It's a 6 or 8" loop of material for lifting heavy weights. Put the feet behined the head as mentioned loop the sling over and then put the other half over your head and across your chest. Walk out.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
I second the strap with the deers feet over it's head. Also have used a plastic sled, esp in snow. Many times I am stuck with no straps or sleds or even a knife ( cleaned a lot of deer with a broadhead  :) ) Then I used my belt. With the deers feet over it's head wrap the belt around neck and feet and pull it tight. Then around bow handle, 2 hands behind your back and pull.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I broke the cheap orange model at walmart.

I now use my safety harness that you wear in a treestand.  Double duty.

Offline Todd Weldon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
 I had to drag her by the hind legs, cause I didn't have a rope or a deer drag.
The problem seems to be no antlers to hold on to for dragging. If you have any screw in type tree steps, one if your alone or two if you have help, now you have some ready made antlers to drag with.
just screw them in right where an antler would grow if it was a buck. Works great, and you may already be carrying steps with you anyway.

Todd
Forget McAllester, I'm just gonna hunt at the house this year!

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
If you want to use the rope method to drag make a loop. Then you run one end thru the other and place it around the does neck. It tightens as you drag and comes off very easy when your done. I think the rope/harness drag is hard because the full weight of the deer drags so there is more friction than if you picked up one end and dragged by hand. Durring bow season it's easier to just pick the deer up, put it on your shoulder and walk out with it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
I just take one of the straps or ropes off my safety harness, wrap it around her neck a couple times, just below her head, insert hand and walk away.  Dragging face first makes her slide better.  You can get by with about 3' of 1/4" poly rope and do it as well.  keep it in your pocket.
CHuckC

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Ditto on the safety harness.   Best are the "Seat o the Pant's" types.  The load is distributed over your entire torso and you just loop the rope that normally attaches to the tree over the deers neck and off ya go.
Otto

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Why drag a Deer? Just pick it up and tote it out.Of course if you hunt public land you will have to dodge bullets, LOL. I like the game cart idea i am thinking of getting one myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©