3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 21262 times)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Boy, am I gonna be in the minority here. Let me back track just a bit.

The past month I watched my best buudy of 14 years go steadily down hill. My best buddy C.J.
got to the point were arthritis wouldn't let him get up out of his bed without help most of the time. His sight was going as was his hearing. There were times he was confused and I could tell he didn't know exactly where he was.

Sure, he had day's that he was better than others. Last Monday I finally let my head over rule my heart. Last Tuesday I let him go, one of the sadest days of my life. A big hole in my heart. I know as painful as it was I made right decision, not an easy one but the right one.

Now, back to the "Old man". I know that I would have made that same decision with my heart if it had been me. But, after watching C.J. I might have thought differently. Could I have imagined that grand old man being unable to get up out of his bed, not being able to sustain himself with food and water and the end result of that. Worse, not being able to get out of his bed and being and easy meal for the coyotes. I hope not, but that's my head doing the thinking.

I suppose, if I were there I would have let my heart do the the thinking, not that my heart would have been right after what C.J. taught me.

I'm just glad it wasn't me. For the love and respect of the Whitetail, what is the right answer?

By the way, C.J. was an Irish setter who in his day could find birds with the best.

Just so there is absolutely no confusion, I am not finding fault with Barry's way of thinking or what he did or didn't do. I guess what I am saying is because of so recently seeing the age in C.J.'s face and the pain in C.J.'s eyes, I might have transferred that to the grand old buck. If I had, I'm sure I would have felt pretty darn sad, but I usually do when I take a whitetail.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Can see both sides of the page, taking into account what RRock said. Had to put my buddy down a couple of years ago because of the same type of situation.

But on the other hand, you generally do NOT regret the times when you DON'T shoot as much as when you take the shots you DO have to debate inside your head.

My two cents.....

I can applaud your decision not to shoot Barry and thanks for sharing.
Simple fact of the matter is that it was your decision to make at the time and if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Great read, Barry!

Bisch

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Great read, Barry!

Bisch

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Pretty Cool.......The things we see.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Very cool perspective Barry.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Kind of choked me up just reading about it. Thanks for sharing Barry.  I would like to think I would have made the same decision, but its hard to tell unless you're actually put in that position. The end nature has in store for the Old Man could certainly end up being cruel and ugly, making a swift, sharp arrow through the heart seem like a gift. But I'm going to put aside all the thoughts of the many unpleasant things that might await him and instead believe he will peacefully fall asleep for good, some cold clear night.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
You did the right thing letting this old buck go his natural end.this is for sure,if not the only one,one of the few to have complete its cycle!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
That was a great tribute to one that survived against all odds. I agree with your perspectives and respect.
God bless you, Steve

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
Barry,
 That's why we love Traditional Archery so much..It isn't all about the Big trophy's we love to hunt but it seems to find through all this hate,violence and life we live in today that we have a soft heart and we respect what God has givin us each day...It truly shows what Thansgiving means to some of us..You were Thankful to have the privlage to witness an old Buck that survived the elements and still see how Great our God is to let this buck see another day...It kind of makes one wonder that as good of a deer hunter you and your brother are and as much about the whitetail you have invested in your life that this one has taught you the most important lesson about Traditional Archery and yourself and that is you  "Praise Him" for His creation of the Whitetail Buck from the birth of a newborn Fawn to the day it lays in it's last bed...Great story Barry and I enjoyed it very much...Glad it happened to you.....God Bless,
                                  Keefer's <><-

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
Great story Barry thanks for taking the time to post it!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
Barry, your decision was the ultimate display of RESPECT!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Those who don't hunt have no concept of our love and respect for the animals we pursue. Thanks for putting some of those feelings down in writing, Barry. Let's hope that old deer meets a peaceful end.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Fantastic story!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Barry,
     Great read.....only a hunter could understand the range of emotions you experienced while watching that Buck.

You did the right thing out of respect..
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Great Story Barry,
Thank you for sharing so many over the years.
Regards.
Bert.

Online meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Great story Barry.  Thanks for sharing.  Can't wait to see the pics.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
The common denominator between both sides of the choice that had to be made is... both sides are showing respect for the animal(s).

I am blessed to share the same cyber space with you folks.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Thank you Barry for bringing honor with you in your story and sharing your thoughts with us.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Very cool.
I have an old man at my place as well. I passed him last season. Only have him on camera this year. His rack has lost loads of mass in just one year. It is now all twisted looking.
I ponder the same question when it comes to shooting him.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm glad you passed on him,it's extremely hard for a deer to get to his age,he deserves to finish his life in peace.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©