3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 100 Year Old Man  (Read 21256 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 100 Year Old Man
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
 Just for those who think I'm not "normal", I got up this morning to a base temp of 14 degrees and chill factor of 9. Not that bad but the winds were predicted out of the SW and they were actually out of the NW. So while I thought about which stand I most likely would screw up I went back to bed. BW  
Barry, how can you go back to bed    :confused:

I know I'm older than you but I didn't think it was by that much...   :dunno:  Once I'm up,..I'm up, there ain't no going back to bed. On the other hand afternoon naps have become a way of life...are you there yet?    :)
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Ron: I've been getting up at 4:20 every day. Because they had variable predictions the first thing I do is check the computer for the present and hourly predictions. I was still groggy so it wasn't hard to fall back asleep. Yes, now that the peak of the rut is over I'm finding even a 20 minute nap makes a world of difference in keeping me alert for the afternoon hunts. bw

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
"normal" and BW    :confused:  
words not often used in the same sentence   ;)

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
Just for those who think I'm not "normal"
Don't try to kid yourself Barry, you're not normal!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
Great read Barry, God bless.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Finally got a chance to read this.....

Gotta say thanks for sharing Barry.....great post about a great deer.  And that doesn't even mention the great thoughts you put into the experience and into this post.  

This post will be archived.

Now he will live on through us.....

Many thanks again Sir.      :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
This thread has me thinking a lot also.  The more I think about it I believe that outside a cruising November buck traveling long distance that you need to be setup within 100 yards or so of where a deer is bedded for the day in order to have a chance to even see the deer during daylight. I bet that more deer are spooked by entry to a hunting area than anything. I also think they will not necessarily run like hell. But rather just stay bedded knowing you do not see them and simply wait for you to leave before rising and moving. I actually witnessed this scenario this season while some bedded deer stayed tight while a couple of cross gun hunters were talking laughing smoking and building a ground blind within 100 yards of where the deer were bedded. The deer paid attention to them but were not worried in the least bit. These were public land deer that had obviously played that game many times and were confident they would win again.
When the Orange Army rolls in, we sit in the house and watch the bucks hide. The place that gets shotgun hunted has a big ravine with tall grass. The lazy orange guys will not push into the grass. Every year we sit and watch with the scope as the push starts. The bucks drop into the ravine and follow it to the grass. Then they lay flat. The guys walk past every single time. They are focused on the does that are running in the field. Love watching the deer out smart the neighbors   ;)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Barry, did you shoot that yote with an Acme arrow?
meek meek

You write just like your telling the story in person.

Sunnystone

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Terry (Green.. not Sunstone): Quit using those big words like "archived". By the way, run it by me once again why you're thanking Gene. Ha. BW

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Hasn't it always been that way?  You do all the work and Gene gets all the credit?  Some things will never change...  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
A very good read!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
WoW! That got to me... you did the right thing... I let a 6 pter go by the other day and could not explain to my wife why I get up at 5 in the morning to freeze my bottom off, only to let them walk, I can't explain it but I know that I never want to be a guy that kills at every opportunity. Thanx for sharing this great experience.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
no picture means it didn't happen  :)
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Sorry Barry....I corrected that....the words still count...I was going 90MPH as usual...my bad...

Now I have to go google 'archived' to see if that really is a word.      :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©