3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow spine help  (Read 703 times)

Offline Wvsteveo

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine help
« on: May 04, 2024, 10:21:45 PM »
Hey guys, long time creeper first time poster. I’ve been shooting trad for about 3 months now. I love it! Way funnier and challenging than shooting my compound. I’ve been trying to practice as much as I can. I am wanting to try to hunt this fall and possibly take a dough with my trad bow. My bow is a Sanlida Royal x8 60” recurve. 40# at 28”, Best I can figure I am around 28.5” or 29” draw. The bow came with some 500 spine arrows. I want to buy some better arrows, I plan on shooting about a 30 inch arrow, From the groove to the insert. And I plan on running a 100 grain brass insert with either a 150 grain or 200 grain broadhead. What Aeros would put me in the ballpark? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Wvsteveo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow spine help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 10:23:26 PM »
I also plan on my arrow being anywhere between 500 to 550 grains if that helps.

Online Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 06:29:31 PM »
Welcome to the BEST place on the net for your new addiction!!! Im drawing 30" on a 40# putting me about 45-46#at the fingers.. I'm shooting 32" carbon length arrows with 170gr weight up front and it took 400 spine for me to run a long arrow the way I like. I might be able to eeeek out 200gr but I'd have a pretty short margin to the arrow hitting the shelf then..and I like my 25yd point on and a shorter arrow would change that also.

Offline Wvsteveo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 06:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I’m not really too much set on running them full length. I’ve got a few old 500 spine arrows laying around and I might try one of them with a 250 grain field tip.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 01:13:55 PM »
This belongs on the Powwow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 03:48:06 PM »
Hey guys, long time creeper first time poster. I’ve been shooting trad for about 3 months now. I love it! Way funnier and challenging than shooting my compound. I’ve been trying to practice as much as I can. I am wanting to try to hunt this fall and possibly take a dough with my trad bow. My bow is a Sanlida Royal x8 60” recurve. 40# at 28”, Best I can figure I am around 28.5” or 29” draw. The bow came with some 500 spine arrows. I want to buy some better arrows, I plan on shooting about a 30 inch arrow, From the groove to the insert. And I plan on running a 100 grain brass insert with either a 150 grain or 200 grain broadhead. What Aeros would put me in the ballpark? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I first started, I always made the mistake of pre-cutting my arrows to a desired arrow length that I wanted to shoot.  It really is a bad mistake to make in my opinion.  Let the bow decide what length of arrows it wants.  Too me, full length arrows are the way to go.  I will suggest some Dark Timber 600's from Big Jims.  You can get the 100 grain or 50 grain brass inserts to go with them.  Keep in mind, that most archers, especially new ones to traditional, are shooting too stiff of a spine and probably aren't drawing the bow as far back as they think.  Start full length with those 600's and bareshaft tune them taking off 1/4 of an inch at a time.  Buy a Modsaw so that you can tune your own arrows to perfection versus having someone else pre-cut them.  Depending on how the riser is cut and what string you are shooting, you may even try a 700 spine but if you are wanting a heavy arrow I think the 600's will be money, probably around 31-31.5 inches would be my bet but bare shafting will tell you for sure.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 05:23:23 PM »
I agree that 500s are too stiff.  Just about any 600 should work. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©