INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ft Bliss, my archery beginning  (Read 3769 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Ft Bliss, my archery beginning
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
I will get this forum started. Don't really know what Terry has in mind for this place, but if this isn't appropriate, please delete.

My archery life began in the 1950s. My dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss, and we lived at an on post in a trailer park. Directly across the road from our place was miles and miles of desert, where I bothered some rabbits, birds, and lizards with my fiberglass Indian longbow that I got for a present when I was about 9 years old. Some buddies and I also set up cardboard boxes that became targets for our arrows.
Where I used to play has been pushed out by civilization, but I have been by there a few times and thought each time of how my love of archery started.
Any other military brats out there that started archery in or around a military base?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ft Bliss, my archery beginning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
No worries....posting topics is fine and dandy....like I said, the forum is all yours.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I got started in high school, but no on base. Didn't shoot for years after high school as I shipped out for basic 2 weeks after graduating. It has been good getting immersed in archery again.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I got started way back when after my first season with an old bear compound.  I read an article about Myles Keller and a few stories about Paul Brunner, Paul Schaffer and the Wensels.  I looked up Paul Brunner and called him.  I then became known as "The Guy from Texas"  Paul spent hours over the phone encouraging me and giving me advice on equipment and technique.  I soon had his book and all the Wensel books I could find.  Then Bowhunting October Whitetails came out and I was a complete goner.  I took my first deer with an old Howatt Hunter recurve with the very first arrow I ever released at an animal.

I have hunted on and off with recurve and longbow for over 3o years now.  Everything I learned was by trail and error as I never have had the opportunity to share a campfire with another trad shooter.  Hopefully some of us can get together and share some stories.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Well, my archery journey did not start on a military post. I did do my tech school at Ft.Bliss. After that I was stationed at Ft.Hood. That was 91-95. I didn't have the opportunity to bow hunt at all while I was there. It was way too expensive for me. The cheapest lease I could find close was $1500.

I'd love to meet some of the great people I see writing here myself

Offline Droptine26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 09:32:26 PM »
I got my start in trad bow shooting while I was stationed at Ft. Bliss ‘87-‘91. There was a great archery range off post on Fred Wilson Dr. Met an old timer named Charlie Nail who took me under his wing and got me started.  There was a lot of desert to chase jack rabbits, quail, and coyotes. Great times!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 12:49:20 PM »
I didn’t even know there was an archery range on Camp Lejune until one night on a “night compass” problem I stumbled into a field archery butt. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to check it out as we were preparing for deployment. When we came back I got orders for the rifle range so never saw it again. Now after I relocated to San Diego I used to shoot at the monthly shoots at Camp Pendleton. There was a store in Vista, Ca. I used to go to, he was a longbow guy. He helped me with my Bear SK, probably cause I was only trad guy that came in store.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©