INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***  (Read 33297 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
I posted a thread about this one, but I'll add the pic here. Shot this grey in Nov.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

Shot this tall six on Nov. the 6th.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Cold weather late season doe.
Kentucky TJ and I had a little doe hunt last night.  I shot this one right before dark and left her till morning.  It was a brisk 17 degrees this morning which caused the camera to fog a little.

53# Black Widow MA IV Mossy Oak
125 Magnus Stinger Axis ST 400's

Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
I robbed the gun hunters of this one.  Shot on next to the last day of Maryland's gun season.  I was using a Robertson long bow 63# @ 29

Offline 2ndxarnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Terry, Now that's a great BUCK! Congrats.... RP
Take the time to teach a child.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
From another MD hunter - Holy Cow!!!!
Congratulations!!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
9-7-09

9-9-09

10-1-09 public land

10-7-09

10-22-09

11-1-09

"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
11-1-09

12-07-09 public land

12-08-09

"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Dang Mark! Looks like someone will be eating a lot of venison and turkey. Congrats on a great season!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Great season bud....but it seems that way every year for you!  Congrats    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Ok guys.  I am about three weeks new to this forum.  I have got the traditional bug pretty bad.  This is my second post, and I am very excited to post here.  

To start, a very close friend of mine has been doing the trad thing for quite a while.   He has killed several bucks over 140 inches with his modern equipment, and said he just wanted a fresh outlook on bowhunting.  I sorta blew him off, but he has proved me wrong by killing quite a few deer with his longbow and recurve over the past few yrs.  He is currently hunting with a black widow psax, and is just as efficient now as he can be with modern equipment.  Off course his yardage is quite a bit less.  Well, back in the summer he handed me a chapparall longbow, and a dozen wooden arrows with zwickey broadheads.  He told me if I wanted a new outlook on bowhunting, then I needed to start practicing.

I took the bow, and diligently practiced with decent results before the MS season opened.  I kept cutting my nose with the string, and it was effecting my shooting.  I gave it up, picked up the compound and started hunting. I killed my biggest buck ever with the compound.  He was an 8Pt that was just shy of Pope and Young by 1.5 inches.  Nonetheless, a step in the right direction.  I wanted a challenge so I told him my dilemma with the string cutting my nose.  He helped me with my form by canting the bow a little more, and I also changed the brace height on the bow.  I started practicing again three days ago.  I was drilling out to 20yds so I felt like I might have a chance if I got one in the 20yd range.

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday about trophy hunting.  TROPHY is in the eye of the beholder.  I usually have a policy that if I am not going to mount a buck, then I don't shoot him.  This all changed yesterday when I shot my first deer with the longbow.  It was a 1.5 yr old spike.  He means as much to me as the 150 inch 8pt that I killed with a gun last year.

I had been watching deer come out on my clover field for two days.  I went at 3pm took my huntve, and drove to a pine that I had picked out on the edge of the field.  I hung a lock on, parked the cart about 100yds away, and climbed in the stand with longbow for an evening sit.

I had been there 45min when I heard deer moving my way.  I had two does come out to about 32yds.  I just didn't feel condident with the range so I passed as they fed out toward the center of the field.  Directly, I heard another deer coming.  I looked up and at first thought it to be a large doe.  It was a spike headed straight toward my tree.  He walked approximately 10 yds, turned broadside, and started munching on clover.  I have not been this nervous since my first deer at about age 14.  I drew the bow silently and held it for what seemed like an eternity as I focused on the lungs.  I released the arrow, and it was a perfect shot through the lungs exiting the heart.  The arrow was protruding equal amounts out both sides of the deer.  He turned ran about 50yds, and crashed.  The emotion overtook me.  My legs locked, and I felt like I was going to be sick.  One would have thought that I had shot a true trophy.  As I gathered my thoughts, I realized that indeed I had shot a trophy.  I also realized that I should keep my lips closed if I am at a camp and someone shoots a buck that by today's trophy standards seems sub par.  Quess what.  The trophy is relevent to the person that shoots the animal.  

In conclusion, I am hooked.  I have rekindled the desire to enjoy the sporting practices of hunting again, and realized it is not just all about the bone.  Thanks for a great sight, and I am very proud to say that I took a spike buck with traditional archery equipment.  I also know that there was lots of luck involved for this to happen the first time out with a longbow. I also found half of the wooden shaft with the broadhead for a keepsake, and reminder of this wonderful day.  Thanks for listening.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Hello

a good winter Fox from south alps ...

very lucky , missed once from very close and "smoke it" after from very far , don't ask me why or how ???? ... the Muzzy Phantom 22O were perfect for a very very quick recovery

save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
That is a big ole fox. Congrats!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
September 11, 2009....52# Beeler Osage Hybrid longbow...Beman MFX Classic 500s...Delta two-blade...pass-through at 23 yds:

Click the following link for the whole story and more pics:
    http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=078154#000000
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
wow nice pics
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Onewldcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by arklongbowman:
That is one BIG Georgia hog.  Wish I had something like that to hunt in Ark.
I think you do have something like that in Ark.  I found some sign recently waist high on public land in NW Ark.
I like bows

Offline Emilio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Beautiful fox Kibok&Ko, congrats.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Great story, Spurs, thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Nice foxe and doe you guys did good.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Congrats on your first Spurs   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©