INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "The Paradise " St. Judes Hog Hunt - Now with VIDEO!  (Read 12886 times)

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "The Paradise " St. Judes Hog Hunt - Now with VIDEO!
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »
Sorry asleep at the wheel.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
Mitch, ....you might want to have that looked at.    :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
So Clay, you gonna start tellin this story or are you gonna make me do all the work   :biglaugh:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Good to hear from you Mitch , it was pure adrenilan , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm really wondering why I came back home. It's freezing cold and we have about 6 inches of fresh snow. My wife is sick and the boys are being little demons so I can't be on here too long tonight.
After my meat hog kill we got into hogs every time we went out.
The second morning we again slipped down "Our Road." I let down my guard and of course that is when I saw the black hog staring me down.  I froze. He stared. Apparently he felt I was no threat and started to move. An 80 pound calico colored hog trotted towards me, then moved to my left. He stopped at 19 yards, I shot and was pretty confident of the hit. Terry was videoing and thought it looked good, too.  Well, we trailed the thing for over 200 yards until we finally lost the trail.  That's when Terry laid his bow down and momentarily forgot where he laid it. He was getting pretty frustrated, but soon realized where he left it and we walked right to it.
I got full penetration on the hog.  Not a passthrough, but a hole out both sides. Matt graciously took his dog out later to try to find it, but she wasn't in the mood for bloodtrailing.
I felt horrible about the whole ordeal, since I have not lost an animal in over ten years, but Terry helped me to get over it.
I learned a valuable lesson in hog shot placement.  I studied anatomy photos before going down there and we discussed shot placement at camp. But I was so ingrained with shooting whitetails, that apparently I shot the hog like it was a whitetail and probably got liver if that. A hard way to learn a lesson, but a lesson was learned!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Yep, that was a clean shot almost broadside and wide open...looked like the hog bumped forward a bit.  I was eying through the view finder, but I'm finalizing the video now so I can view it on a bigger screen than that little camera panel.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
I've heard the story from Terry and JC. Sounds like a great time was had by all.....Come on guys, tell us some more about all the hogs.....Terry and JC are both still excited...   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Well.....I've learned one thing......I'm not the best camera man!!!  I did get some great footage, but I need to stay zoomed a bit more.  

What's amazing is that there are hogs in plain sight of the naked eye, but the camera wont pic them up when the sun is beaming through the woods....AND, I just viewed several stalks that I had forgotten about.

Also, close up, its neat to see the breath of the hunter, I almost got a chill watching Eric's vapor rise off.  I almost thought I was back at The Paradise...that was COOL!!!

I wasn't able to get the hog shot on impact of Eric's bigger hog, just the shot and the hogs scattering, the grass had him blocked.

I got the 'sandwich hog' video left of all 4 DVDs that I shot.  Man did we chase a lot of hogs!!!

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
...Second evening...it's almost dark as we walk down the road.  We hear a grunt and a big black boar comes barrelling out of the pines and crosses about 50 yards in front of us. He goes down in the woods to our left and starts snorting like a deer! Terry said the hog was ticked off and he certainly sounded like it.
We continue walking and suddenly Terry stops and points to our right.  He hears hogs. We stop at the crossing that is literally about 6 feet in front of me. Terry is behind me a few feet. He says, "If you hear him coming, draw your bow."
Well, it isn't long and I hear him coming! I draw and hold and hold...and hold. Finally I have to let down.
I can hear one of 'em drinking out of the ditch. They were within 12 feet, but we couldn't see them. Terry said he could hear them breathe. About all I could hear was my heart thumping out of my chest. All got quiet and then they crossed the road about 40 yards ahead, and crossed it fast.  I think there were 3 black ones, including another good boar. No shot, but again it was AWESOME!
Just hearing their vocalizations was really cool.
We laughed and shook our heads the whole way to the truck.
We got into hogs everytime we went out, most weren't in bow range, but we always saw or heard them.
Once again, thanks to everyone for everything.   Southern hospitality is all it's cracked up to be and then some!
If there is a St. Jude's hog hunt this year I feel like someone else needs to experience what we experienced, BUT I'd also really like to go back, so I may have to bid again!
By the way, I put the ribs from my little hog in the crock pot this morning after I rubbed them down with fresh garlic, red pepper,salt and black pepper.  I poured some barbeque sauce on after they'd cooked awhile and let them slow cook for a few more hours. DADGUM! That's some good eatin'!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Great stuff...but where's all the pix?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Curt, maybe they needed one of us to take some pics  :bigsmyl:  we need to remember this on any future trips  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
:pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
I rolled into camp Thursday evening after Tery had taken the boys on a walkabout. While I was driving down, they were busting a sounder of hogs outta the standing water in Trashcan Woods (named after an old trashcan at the end of the road). "Hogs in the Trashcan Woods" would become a familiar theme for Clay and me over the course of the hunt.

We had some awesome food at the catfish house that night. I'm not a big fan of catfish but the perch was great and the fried oysters were as good as I've had...and I've had a few! Thought about you Vance....because I didn't have anyone reaching for stuff on my plate.

Got back to camp late, putting gear away, getting ready for bed, I looked out through the woods and saw a faint light dancing through the brush. I knew there shouldn't be anyone coming from that direction unless they were REALLY lost and saw the camp light as an oasis in the middle of the night. Terry and I slipped out on an intercept course, only to find out it was Matt Schuster coming in from a hog kill. Matt had the hog down and knew where it was, we only had the draggin left to do. Clay and Eric were plumb tuckered from the long drive so they hit the rack. Changing clothes (at least I did preparing for the worst...terry's shoes didn't fare as well as my rubber boots in the swamp  :p  ) we followed Matt into the swamp. I'll tell ya boys, Matt knows that place like the back of his hand. Halfway in there I was really glad I had slipped my compass around my neck. No kiddin, he walked almost right to that hog, in a swamp, in the dark. Impressive to say the least. Nice pig, perfect shot...but neither of us thought to bring a camera. (I'm hoping somebody got a picture of that hog on the pole?) Matt's got a bad back so Terry and I shared the draggin, thankful for the water we walked through....that 175#'er sure slid easier through the water than over those cypress knees   :readit:  

We crawled into bed around 11:30 or so to get up at 6am to start the hunt. I slept well that night in my sleeping bag....

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
:D    :campfire:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Matt NEVER shoots a hog unless he knows there are some young backs in camp. There's nothing wrong with his back...looks like he's added you two to his duped list now.......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
YOU mean he doesn't have a bad back???? And HE doesn't hang out in the swamp just to keep the women away!!!!  Dang MATT. What is going on ?
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Shhhh Biggie...I know that! I'm just butterin him up fer when he's got some great hog huntin place that I need access too  :rolleyes:  

J-"will drag fer hog huntin"-C

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©