INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St. Jude's Solana Ranch Hunt Officially Underway!!  (Read 16769 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Jude's Solana Ranch Hunt Officially Underway!!
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Great Pics guys!!  It looks like an awesome time!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »

Will be available soon here on the Trad Gang Store ...going to make the red ones a little more blaze orange.

Going to have another goodie wrap available also.

Feathers a basic shields in Flo Yellow....lots of sponsors carry them.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
My story isn't as sweet in the hunting end although the Solana Ranch & comradery shared was incredible!

I've hunted Texas a few times with the TX Sweat for hogs, javies, and goats But never experienced Texas deer on corn feeders.  They are probably the most alert spooky animal I've hunted...more like turbo deer  :eek:  

The first night I had seven what I thought were fawns on my stand....a couple with in 10 yards under me.  I just watched them hoping to see some bucks.  Then three very large beagles came in!  That is they were the size of beagles but were actually fawns...now I was beginning to understand size of Texas deer compared to our Northern deer  :)   Just around dark two bucks showed up...a fork and a very nice nine point.  I made up my mind right then that it was going to be a nice eight point or better for me to shoot.  

The next day & a half, I saw a lot of does but no big bucks.  It was an education in their reactions to everything that moved, made noise, or just appeared to move.  They were like someone light a firecracker under them.  As to my education, everyone was telling me to aim low for the white spot on the far leg Under the body.

On the third day after seeing guys come in with hogs (I never saw one) and does, I couldn't take it anymore...I decide I'd even go for a beagle   :mad:   To justify my decision, I'd use one of my forged points.  

The next morning, I had two very nice eight point with tall racks come in.  They weren't with any does and seemed to be feeding pretty calm.  I just waited til one came on my side of the feeder before taking a shot.  I kept repeating my new mantra...aim low, aim low, aim low, etc.  You guessed it, my arrow hit him in the chest right behind the front leg...low  :(   He hadn't even moved with the shot!  As I watched him run off with my arrow sticking out, all I could hope for was it slipped in above the sternum into the lungs or heart.  After an hour, I slipped down to see if there was a blood trail.  No sign of anything.  I found my shaft broken off in a small creek about 50 yards off then my broadhead another ten yards furter with no sign of blood.  We searched and never found any blood.  At the end of the week the deer were even spookier and I didn't get another shot opportunity.  I'll be back next year but I won't be passing up shots this time  :pray:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »
....I sure was pulling for you kill a deer with your hand made bh Jeff...next year bud!  I feel the same way....

....So like I said, I was as ready as I could be...waiting.......a bird would flutter by...they would flinch....then I'd let them settle again....then he'd take a run at one of the does....and I'd wait for him to come back....more deer were coming in.....he was almost where I needed for him to be.....Then what sounded like 100yds away a deer blew.....in a split second deer scattered in all directions including under me on both sides and I was left all alone holding my bow!   Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it was early...........
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Tippit is a very talented guy. Knife builder and arrowhead maker deluxe. Like Guru, I was pulling for him to harvest a good whitetail with one of his home made broadheads. There is no way that whitetail would not leave a bloodtrail if hit in the vitals with Tippit's broadhead. That deer is running around on the ranch today with a minor flesh wound, well on its way to healing. Heres hoping Jeff gets another chance next year. My money is on him. :archer:

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Speaking of Tippit.....where's that pic someone took of his knives spread out on the table???

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Not sure who took that pic,but i'd like to see it too   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
I know how you feel Tippit, I shot under 3 different Impala because everyone told me to aim low, aim low.  I finally decided that I was going to shoot at the next one like everything else and it was perfect!  Critters can be frustrating when they don't do what we want them to.   :D   Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Joseph, That at least cheers me!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Terry,  Here are the knives from Solana.  Funny cause that was the night you told me you were considering allowing a Hunting Knife Forum.

What shock to come home and see the Hunting Knife Crafters Forum on the Big Board!  A very nice surprise.  Thanks...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Next year Jeff, next year!!  I can't wait!

.....So with our last evening approaching.... guide David and I got into a little friendly shooting competition. After thumping a water bottle from about 35yds, then calling a head shot on the 3D deer and shooting it in the ear from about 40yds, I was ready...he was all smiles....he's such a cool dude....

We headed out to a stand that he said "your last shot on the bottle EARNED you this stand".....he then said...."when that feeder goes off be ready"
.......So I climbed up and got ready as quickly and quietly as I could......
Deer started to show up before the feeder even went off.....but a swirling wind was killing me!

Only the young skipper fawns would come close enough,but all the does and the one buck I saw were very skittish and wouldn't come in....

the view in a couple directions....

But then all the deer started looking in one direction toward the woodline......all slowly left the way they came in...they'd seen something that made them uncomfortable...and I would soon know the source.....

Within minutes I could hear something in the trees  to my right...another BIG black boar hog! He was coming in...I slowly switched arrows like I'd done on my other hog and got ready for the shot I just knew was coming.......

At about 25yds he stopped and started hooking(with his tusks) a small 3ft. cedar tree...my heart was just pounding! He did this for about a minute...I was just waiting for him to start toward the feeder...but he had something else on his mind.....he slowly turned and started back the way he came. I have no idea why,the wind was good,he had no idea I was there(I think). He moved off to about 30yds and stopped quartering away....I never even thought to shoot,I figured he was going to work around into the feeder....he walked into the woods and I never saw him again.......

He was at least as big as the one I'd killed earlier in the hunt, but I really think he was bigger!!!

Never saw another critter...but as I waited in the dark to get picked up...a whole bunch of 'lil hogs came in(I could barely see them thru bino's)....the sound of crunching corn was almost deafening...I was really enjoying just sitting there......But then when it was too dark to see at all I think the big boar came back in....whatever it was had a heck of a grunt! I could hear him right under me......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Jeff, That one caper with the "spaulted" wood(at the bottom of the pix) was just awesome!  Well they all where,but that one was my favorite!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
That evening was Steak night!!!

Big Bob Walker and arrow slingin' Don Wilson(DW)...

Bill and Terry Green......

Joel Smith holding court.....

The guides...

The "grub"......

Time to eat....

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
I recognize the store on the shirt Joel is wearing.  I drove by there the weekend after Christmas.  Does he own it?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
He might, I know he has one down there.....

I'm out of pix guys,anyone else have any pix or stories?
Curt } >>--->   

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
Chuck...he's the manager of Bear Country Outfitters.

I got a couple more pics....but there's a few more kill pics out there as well....maybe they'll get around to posting soon.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Sure wish I could  have been on this hunt. I've enjoyed this thread immensely.

:thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I wish you had been too, Charlie. You would have loved it! Here's a few pics, including a few of my hunting partner. This place is perfect for big deer.

Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Here's my partner at the ready.

Not so ready.

Dreaming of the hunt!

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
A 70lb Schafer Silvertip with a 200gr Ace tipped MFX Classic 340 does the trick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©