3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014  (Read 37818 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014
« Reply #540 on: May 18, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
Lookin good Darren! Let me know when your headed out and I'll try to go with ya. I'll have my swap bow done this week and maybe I can bring it on it's maiden hunt! Or would that be wrong?    :dunno:   lol
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

« Reply #541 on: May 18, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Good luck, Hackbow!

Bisch

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: May 18, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
My first hunt with Hope is in the books. Like most of my hunts, I end up eating store-bought food. I was out in the backyard grilling okra (my favorite way of many to eat it). We live in a small tract home neighborhood in suburbia and there are very few mature trees, so we almost never see squirrels.

Well, I'm sitting on the patio enjoying the evening when a tree rat decides to walk our fence. I rush in the house and get Hope, but the little sucker decided to hit the neighbors roof and I lost it from there.

Back to the okra. Both Hope and I are ready for the squirrel to come back when I see a little movement under one of our bushes. It's one of the rabbits that's been chomping on my wife's flowers. I think he could sense my bloodlust because under the fence he went, into the front yard.

I decided to make my move and headed around the house. Lo and behold, he was stretched out in the neighbors front yard acting as if he owned the place. Not wanting to look any more redneck than I already do, I didn't take a shot there. Instead, I made a wide arc around to the sidewalk and herded ol' Bugs between the houses. He stopped right in front of the neighbors' air conditioning unit. Not exactly the shot I wanted!

I'm in the middle of replacing the fence in the backyard so I knew the rabbit had an easy path to some safer shooting space and my neighbor across the alley was mowing, so I gently pushed that little flower muncher and just as planned, he turned the corner past the garage and into my backyard. When I stealthily crept around the back, I saw that he had taken a broadside stance about 10 yds away and I could let the arrow fly without fear of hitting a fence, car, air conditioner, kid or siding. I brought Hope up to shooting position and with a steely gaze and a cold heart let the tension on the string propel my arrow toward the bunny's left eye as I didn't want some flopping, bleeding, screaming rabbit to draw anymore attention than what I may already have done. Most of the neighbors think I'm nuts already.

I swear one of the fletches scraped that sucker's nose as the arrow buried into the muddy, rain-soaked soil without so much as a drop of blood on it. The rabbit beat a hasty retreat through the alley and I returned to the grill to find my okra charred.

Squirrels - 1, Rabbits - 1, Hackbow - 0. Game on!

Randy, If we don't get a big storm I think I'll head over tomorrow for an evening hunt. I'll shoot you a text as well. And if you bring your swap bow, I won't tell.....for a price.    :p  

Bisch, thanks! As you can see I need all the luck I can get.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: May 19, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
That's what I call a suburban adventure! Those head shots are tricky. Keep after 'em!

I mangaged to take a big chunk out of my left index finger so Faith is getting an unplanned break while I shoot righty until the stitches are out and a bit of therapy.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: May 22, 2015, 05:26:00 AM »
It is 4:26 am here in TX. Hope and I are headed out the door for our first run at pigs together. I'll report back later today.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: May 22, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
Good luck,

Hope need a few more "blood baths" to get all of that frog lime off her fine lines   :biglaugh:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #546 on: May 22, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I'm glad Hope and Faith are still getting a workout this close to the auction!  Good times.  Both those bows are superb weapons.  The big question is, who's gonna bid???  I'm already feeling nostalgic about the bow (Faith) that brought me my first trad kill this past season...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: May 23, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
Sorry, I'm a day late on the hunt report.

I headed back to the swamp and scene of the East TX Hog Hunt from last month. We had identified couple areas that held more hogs and I was hoping they were still there and undisturbed. If any of you read about our hunt you know it was wet. Well.....all it has done in the month since then is rain, so there was a new level of wetness. Within 2 minutes of leaving the truck I was already walking in water over my knees. And to add to that unpleasant surprise, as I was pushing through that deep hole and the thick grasses and other plants in the water, a 2+' cottonmouth swims away from me just under the surface of the water.
  :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

I don't really mind being out there with them, but this one caught me a bit off guard. My progress was a little slow for the next 30 minutes as I scanned every leaf, stick and blade of grass in front of me.

Finally, my fears eased and I was able to start hoofing it to the far end of the WMA. I had my Thermacell on and for extra protection I lit up one of my personal skeeter/woman repellants.

I saw a nutria in the slough behind me in the above picture. I don't believe they are legal to kill on this WMA, so it would have been safe if I had gotten close enough for a shot. I did try to get close enough for a picure, but it busted me at about 40 yds.

The fresh sign was incredible when I reached my intended destination. One open area was similar to walking across a freshly plowed field. I wasn't able to find any hogs though and eventually had to head to the truck. As I was slogging my way back, I noticed a funny looking log on the edge of another slough. I reached for my phone/camera to take a picture of the greyish log, but it decided that 15 yds was too close and it made it's way into the water.

It was probably between 6 and 7' long and pretty anti-social.

Besides enjoying the day hunting instead of working, I was blessed to have come upon a little easy-picking sustenance. These blackberries are just hitting their prime and were very sweet. I ate my fill.

I made it home, dried out and my wife and I had dinner. Afterward, we went out to enjoy the evening on the patio and the thought of getting a rabbit with Hope returned. Except, I don't think I will pursue the yard rabbits anymore. We literally had four rabbits running around us last night with no care at all. Two of them came up onto the patio and one of them brushed against my wife's leg. It was a little crazy.

For now the yard bunnies are safe - not much adventure in killing, or hunting skill required to shoot one of these. This guy liked hanging out by my cheapo target. It has obviously watched me target practice and is unconcerned.

I will try to get back out after something with Hope and will keep you all informed.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: May 24, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
"Wabbits is sooooo stupid"  Yosemite Sam

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I wish Faith good future adventures.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Hope made it home today. I met Darren early this morning before work and just got home. Ran straight in the house, put her together and slung a few arras! It's amazing how much better I shoot this bow than my others! I guess the saying is true, " the bow picks you!"
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: July 10, 2015, 05:27:00 AM »
Good on you Critter! I know I sure enjoyed my time with Hope. I too shot that bow much better than others I own. I hope the mojo will be strong and last for many years to come for the two of you.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Good Stuff all around....Great thread.  Gotta cut if loose from featured and move a copy to classics.

Thanks All!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©