INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "The Paradise " St. Judes Hog Hunt - Now with VIDEO!  (Read 12890 times)

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "The Paradise " St. Judes Hog Hunt - Now with VIDEO!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Terry, I think I stole your taters when I left last night . . . sorry but I am sure yall had plenty to eat.    Any more dead critters?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Sounds like a dandy of a hunt - now I'm waitin' for a heckuva "story time" to follow!  ;)  

Glad you found yer bow, Terry.  'Member when we were trackin' (er, CRAWLIN' around) after Charlie's deer down in the holler and my cell (oops, WILDCAT'S cell!) fell outta my pocket ... good thing it was on LOUD when ya dialed it up and we found it!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Rob... I forgot all about that incident. Thanks for the memory and the smile.
  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
This is one of the better hunts from the auction , I went a few years back and had a great time and even though I didn't get a hog that hunt I managed to get one this year on the combo hunt along with a "Super Buck " I ran into hogs so thick I had to shoot my way out . Between Terry and JC you know the food will be great , Miss Kim can really cook , I'm getting hungry now thinking about that great breakfast  cassarole , I speak from fond experience . I don't know how JC stays so slim . You will have a great time , best of luck to you , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I can't wait for the stories.  Thinking of the Paradise puts a smile on my face.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
YIKES.......A blast from the PAST  

Fred is that REALLY YOU  :confused:

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Well, we drove straight through last night; 14 hours. Got home about 4 a.m. so I am pretty whipped.  
It was 2 degrees here this morning. Why did I come home?!
I'll start the stories tonigh, for now I just have a few things to say.
First off, I can't thank Terry and J.C. enough.  We ate like kings and they worked their tails off to get us on hogs, which they did many,many times. This was the best trip I've ever been on, and hopefully not the last.  It was great to meet everyone in person and share camp with some great guys. Thank you guys,it was a awesome! When Terry said in the video, "Tip number one, if you live where you can't hunt hogs, move" he was not kidding. Hunting will here in PA will never be the same. In fact, I would trade our deer hunting for hog hunting any day of the week.
More later...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Well, where do I start? I don't want to tell too much of the tale and steal the thunder from Eric and Clay....but we were on hogs every day. As Terry said, we lost count of the stalks and number of hogs seen, heard, and got close enough to smell. What a hunt! We hunted hard, laughed a lot, built new friendships and solidified old ones, ate well and came away far richer in spirit than when we arrived.

Here's a teaser shot to whet your appetites until Eric and Clay can chime in...

"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I dont think this is fair,You guys are killing me.Leatherneck and myself need to go hog hunting.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
No, what's unfair is having to come back to work this morning, with an hour and a half view of brake lights from 10,000 cars....after seeing sights like this the previous 3 mornings:

"[dntthnk]"
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I could snuffer-shoot shoot myself in the foot for getting out of that lease.      :banghead:        :banghead:        :banghead:       Sure sounds like Sam is still running a great operation over there.
Cant wait to here more details and see video!

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
The first morning we walked for about an hour or so with no action,but I was bursting with anticipation.  
...Then we got to "Our Road," a spot that would prove to be a very active crossing for us.
As Terry and I eased along the dew dampened woods road we listened intently for grunts or squeals.  Suddenly we heard hogs moving and froze on the edge of the road.  
Slowly we tried to blend into the meager cover that we had.  I backed into a small pine and waited.
I looked left and saw a 60 pound black hog coming down the road right toward us. I swallowed the lump in my throat and prepared for the shot, but it never came. A big old black sow got to us before the smaller one and gave us the staredown, sniffing the air, trying to get our wind. She knew something wasn't right and took off.  No shot, but what a rush!
We tried to intercept them as Terry knew where they were headed. Again it almost happened, it was just a matter of yards. I had a shot at one of them, but it just didin't feel right. Again they took off, this time for a swamp.  I took off after them, and watched as two little ones fell behind. It was comical watching them try to catch up with Momma.   One was pink, just like a little farm hog. He looked like a little piggy bank running through the woods!
We continued hunting and again got into some hogs.  Terry sent me into a corner of pines and I got ready. I couldn't have been there more than a minute when I heard sticks breaking.  In their never-stop-moving way the sounder of "samich hogs" scurried across the white sand road, down into the ditch and hustled up past me.
Suddenly the biggest black one charged me. I tried to move but she got to me and bit into my boot. She yanked my boot and sock off and tried to suckle on my toe, so I shot in self defense! Luckily for me she ran about 20 yards, squealed a few times and it was over.
Well, maybe that's not exactly how it happened!
She came past at 4 yards and I zipped an ash arrow through her. She was a small little thing, but I was thrilled! Terry was genuinely happy for me and got the whole thing on video, then even carried the thing to to Range Rover for me. Unreal! Have you ever seen anyone sling a dead, bloody hog up onto the hood of a new Range Rover? I have!
She ended up weighing 30 pounds and I'm sure is gonna be fantastic slow smoked with fresh garlic, crushed red pepper and cumin. I love to hog hunt and I havent even ate one, yet. That's gonna seal the deal!
We got back to camp and were telling our stories when Matt's disturbed little dog proceeded to,um..."get intimate" with my dead hog. Repeatedly!
We all laughed and shook our heads and I believe someone said, "Matt, you need to shoot that dog!"
I was having a blast and it was only the first morning...

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Eric,....thanks for 'christening' my vehicle.    :D

We did have a blast, and look forward to reliving the hunt by Eric and Clay's posts.  They were some fine northern gents for sure, and they caught on to hog hunting like a fish to water.  I can't remember a hunt where I laughed so much.  I surely enjoyed hunting with these guys, and filming the action for them.  

Also, we had a visit from Sam Roberts and I'd like to thank him again for allowing this hunt to take place and for stopping by Saturday evening for a visit around the fire.  We also had Biggie Hoffman  stop by on Saturday to share lunch with us around the fire, Biggie is always a treat in camp. And thanks to Matt Schuster as well for all his help....and don't mind the taters, Mr. Story cooked extras that night.

I really hope these guys get to hog hunt again soon, .....cause they'll either drag their wives south or get divorced one!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline clayk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
JC & Terry thanks for the great hunt! It was with out a doubt the most stalking fun I ever had.  I may be an addict.  Lots of hogs and great hospitality.

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Hello Vance , I have been laid up a few weeks nursing a recurring back injury , on the mend now , JC those pics sure get me pumped up , I can't stop thinking about the trashcan woods . Made some great friends at the Paradise , it is aptly named . Hope to hunt with you guys again soon , Be well , Fred
Greyfox54

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey Fred...someone tacked up a pic of you with your deer on the wall at The Paradise....brought a smile to my face for sure!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Lets see some picks ,and is thier a lot of snakes.Hate snakes.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Hello Terry , Well at least the deer is definetly worth looking at , not so sure about the hunter. I'm in the Pope and Young book , the SCI book , had my pic up top ,I've hunted with some of the best guys from here and now my picture at the Paradise along with the archery greats  , how can it get any better than this ? I must be dreaming . If so don't wake me up , Thanks , Fred (By the way don't believe the rumors that I paid someone to put it there )
Greyfox54

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
Fred,

Sorry to hear about your back.  Those pics do bring back the memories.  I still don't know how you dragged, the sticks, and all your stuff out of the woods.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©