INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Memories of Paul Schafer - Gene Wensel  (Read 19947 times)

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Memories of Paul Schafer - Gene Wensel
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »
:wavey:

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
Well said. Reads like a best friend's Eulogy
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
Gene,

I luv ya!

Peter Iacavazzi

Offline donb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
Wow. Great read. Thanks for sharing that Gene. I'm going to copy and save it in my library. Paul wrote me a personal letter in the late 80's when I was just getting into Traditional archery. I was starving for good information, and I had learned that Paul would be a great source for this type of information, so I called everyday for about 2 weeks until I reached him on a Sunday afternoon on his off-day. He was having a bad day and didn't particularly feel like answering basic archery questions so he was short with me. (Only later did I realize what a jerk I was for being inconsiderate of his personal time) I shot off a letter to him basically wondering why he was short with me and so he responded with a letter of his own. Here are a few quotes..."Thanks for taking the time to write and thank me for my time. I realize I was short with you. But my phone rings from 6:00 a m till 10 at night,7 days.And people are very inconsiderate of my time.  I am one person trying to the job of about 3 people. And I like anyone else likes to have a day off. I live bowhunting 365 days a year talk to about 30 people a day about the same thing,I even get call on Christmas day. And I like anyone else has bad days. And I'm afraid you caught me on one of mine. I love helping people with bowhunting and your questions are very common, not simple questions at all. And if I can ever help you in any way in the future please don't hesitate to call, but please call on a weekday at a reasonable hour and please not on a Sunday. Personally, I feel the Wensel brother's, Asbel, Shulz and a hand full of others well known bowhunters, are truly interested in our sport." "Good luck and thanks again, Paul Schafer  P.S. Sorry for the sloppy letter, but I wanted to at least write". Believe me, this letter is precious to me. His spirit lives on through the voices of all who knew him.
"Lead on!"

Offline bigsow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 08:04:00 PM »
Great post Gene. Never met Shaf but talked to him several times doing some horse trading many years ago. And yes, over a period of a few mos. he did get the best of me. An old skier, I have spent a few weeks in Whitefish and love it. Met the director of operations over a couple drinks and he showed me were Shaf went down. Skied down and left my hat in his honor. Hit the fly fishing shops in town and ask about Paul.Paul WH00000HH. Say what! This was a modest man and it would do him justice for you, and his many hunting buddies, to wright more of his exploits.

Offline Hutch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »
When I was about 5 or 6 years old I recieved a red fiberglass longbow for christmas. Beings it was made by Fred Bear company, my first real hero was Fred Bear. I lost that bow for being unresponsible shortly theirafter(sp).I'm now 31 years old. Spring of 2003 I came back to archery allbeit compound. But, I picked up the Feb/March issue of TBM. Shortly after that sold my compound bought a recurve,whatelse Fred Bear Grizzly. Long story short,I've never met any of the big names of traditional archery,but,the more I read the more I realize that I'm surrounded by hero's.
People that I can look to for encouragement, knowledge, or just a conversation.

Thank you very much for being the people that you are.

Gene thank you for the story about Paul.

Moderators and founders thank you for a place I can go any time day or night and share a campfire with some great people.

Hutch  :thumbsup:
"Who STOLE the Little Delta Bows life??? terry green."

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks, Gene!  Can't wait to meet you at the United Bowhunters of PA Rendevous later this month!

Lee Vivian
United Bowhunters of Pa
Lancaster County Rep.

Offline Jim Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »
That was fine, Gene.  Thanks for sharing...
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Chuck Nesset

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
Gene, nicely done and thanks for taking the time to share those memories. It's appreciated more than you know by those of us never knew Paul.

Offline WoodChips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »
Gene,
Thanks so much. Really enjoyed reading it.
Brandon Byers

Offline Jim Spencer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the story Gene,I enjoyed it very much.

-Jim Spencer

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »
I bet those crawdads looked like lobsters to you Too Short.........
Most people don't realize what a brave thing you did attacking those big rascals by yourself.
All things are relative..............
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
Gene, thanks alot, that was cool.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Rich Potter

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
Biggie, that was priceless.  :bigsmyl:
Rich Potter

Offline JEFFRO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
Thank you,  this is the reason I come to this board, memories are what we pass on to make our children better people.  jeffro

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. Obviously I never met him but Paul is the reason I got into bowhunting. In an old Outdoorlife magazine there was an article on Paul after his death (I still have the magazine). And reading that article about him and his bows lit my bowhunting fire. I still hope to someday find a Silvertip made by him.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »
Gene, what else can I say!  Feel free every now and then to give us another shot in the arm like the Schaf article.  God Bless.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline arraflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »
Gene,  thanks for writing the article to say I enjoyed it would be a real understatement.  I really enjoy first hand writing especially about Paul.
Arraflipper
Jim Fisk Bowyer
"Life is to short to shoot an ugly bow!"

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
Gene,  The pictures of him with big recurves in the early 80's is what influenced me in  trad. archery.  He was like the Arnold S.  of trad. archery that influenced us young aspiring eighteen yr.  olds. ( well there wasn't very many).

Thanx for sharing the experiance you had with Mr. PAUL

Raybow..................Tx..............
na

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©