Author Topic: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open  (Read 47439 times)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2024, 11:39:59 PM »
Now that we’ve got our names. Time to start thinking of exactly what to make. My question for everyone to get started. Do you prefer bows with clean lines and angles or something more unique?

I’m going with a wood bow, probably a selfbow but have some super clean eastern red cedar slats just calling for a bamboo backing (great combo I’ve used a few times). I’m torn between clean and pleasing to look at or a ‘how the hell does that shoot’ character bow. The stave I have roughed out is one of the latter. The other half of the stave made a fast shooter with about 90* of propeller twist, about 6” of reflex difference in the limbs and loaded with little cracks, but managed no set and chronographed almost 180fps with 10gpp with my 27” draw but was tillered to 28”. The pictures are of that bow.

Kyle

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2024, 08:23:47 AM »
That one is bending pretty good me  thinks.
I got some parts put together yesterday.
High on Archery.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2024, 08:58:47 AM »
Kyle - I would tend toward clean lines myself, but I think this is about building a bow for your recipient that is as much a statement of you and your personality as it is about what you think they want. Feel free to go wild if it’s headed to Virginia.

Step one for me is to just clean my shop I suppose. I can barely walk in the door at the moment. :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2024, 08:59:35 AM »
Kyle, character bows are sweet to look at and a nice novelty piece for shooting with others.   On the other hand ive heard you can make a really snappy bow from eastern red cedar and with a bamboo backing, oh boy does that sound like a fast and fun bow.  Up to you but that where im at.

Stic that looks AWESOME

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2024, 09:45:57 AM »
Mo moon, whatever you build I gotta say that I'm always amazed at the way you self bow guys can tiller a bend out of a crooked stave.  :notworthy:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2024, 10:25:00 AM »
Well I guess I better dig around and find some wood for a bow riser. I’m kind of leaning towards a Myrtle wood and black walnut combo. I picked up a few pieces this last summer to choose from.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w4c4U4S67PZofjs1A

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2024, 11:29:13 AM »
Went to shop and a pile of sawdust fell on me . I’m safe now but no pics…  :o
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2024, 12:38:31 PM »
Dbeaver, bamboo backed cedars are beautiful and fun little shooters. I wouldn’t call them fast as much as extremely smooth and no shock bows. They also feel like a feather. The English longbows I’ve done with that combo I don’t think weighed even 10oz before I added horn nocks and handle wraps.

I may do a couple bows and flip a coin to see what goes.

Kyle

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2024, 12:53:55 PM »
Today I haven't done tooooo much in the name of bow building... However I did do background stuff that leads to it.

Bought a new (used) jet oscillating edge sander. Setting up a profile sander jig on the end for it, like I did my grizzly This one is just getting a machined horseshoe screwed to the end table though. Much simpler, hoping it works out well. I don't see why It wont! Took the 2hp motor off it to take to the shop to be tuned up & cleaned up. Should be assembled tomorrow or the next.

Also, spent all day yesterday and today finalizing my jigs for the CNC.... I'll have my takedown limbs profiled on the machine, as well as drilled and limb butts done. All tests proved successful, hoping a real limb does too LOL Now, with my risers drilled by cnc as well, I should at least not have much issues with alignment.

Then I did some work on a few forms that needed it.

So, as a whole, not going to get to the "build" part for the victim just yet. But the ground work is being laid!

Offline dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2024, 02:08:04 PM »
Pickin'n'choosin

Going high contrast with this one, try to make it a little flashy and fun to look at

Macassar Ebony Veneer on the belly, black glass on the back, bamboo and hard maple cores stacked appropriately for their tension and compression strengths.  Figuring out if im going to sandwich maple between bocote, or bocote sandwiched between black limba for the riser.  Black phenolic and sheeps horn for overlays  :shaka:

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2024, 02:19:37 PM »
Went to shop and a pile of sawdust fell on me . I’m safe now but no pics…  :o

Yeah,  I wouldn't leak a picture of that either.  😀
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2024, 02:30:13 PM »
Nothing major yet.  Fine tuning some stack ideas.  I have a fine line to walk on the draw weight spec!  Also contemplating veneers vs solid color glass and riser wood.  It's all going to end with an order to Kenny for sure.  Just about everything I have in stock is earmarked.

Gonna be fun

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2024, 03:56:50 PM »
I got my stave picked out. I'm still trying to figure how to post pics fron my phone.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2024, 04:15:08 PM »
Kenny you add enough glue to that sawdust may get a riser out of it.
High on Archery.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2024, 05:25:56 PM »
I went ahead and ground out a couple of S T wedges.
High on Archery.

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2024, 06:22:06 PM »
Thinking of using this for my victims bow. Had the junk just sitting around for a few years, need to use it up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:28:39 PM by 4 point »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2024, 07:12:46 PM »
Pickin'n'choosin

Going high contrast with this one, try to make it a little flashy and fun to look at

Macassar Ebony Veneer on the belly, black glass on the back, bamboo and hard maple cores stacked appropriately for their tension and compression strengths.  Figuring out if im going to sandwich maple between bocote, or bocote sandwiched between black limba for the riser.  Black phenolic and sheeps horn for overlays  :shaka:

Have you ever used Mac ebony under glass before?   The reason i ask is that it pretty much just turns black and doesn't highlight the grain much at all. On top of that it shows EVERY imperfection in that so called clear glass.... Honestly.... i would pick a different veneer myself, or stick with black glass. it's a waste of mac ebony, and you wont be happy with the finished product..... been there... done that...   Kirk

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2024, 07:18:28 PM »
Heck I got a piece of particle board the tornado left laying up on the hill , prob a little wet but that would work?  :goldtooth:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2024, 08:31:27 PM »
That roof underlayment would make some interesting veneers  :bigsmyl:
High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2024, 09:10:11 PM »
You ever see a humpwood bow?  It looks crazy but your huntin buddies would always be trying to burn it...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

EvilDogBeast, Nicholi, PV, Jon Lipovac, Crooked Stic, rmorris and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©