Author Topic: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open  (Read 47403 times)

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2024, 07:36:43 AM »
Yes sir excess will grind off. Rather see it squeeze out than not.
High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2024, 08:02:07 AM »
Yes sir excess will grind off. Rather see it squeeze out than not.

Yep, testing once I cut back on glue when I was told I was using too much glue because I had quite a squeeze out.  I made two sets of TD limbs. One pair lasted five years and the other five days.

Now I put all I want in there because you can't put it in later... :biglaugh:

I have plastic wrap under the bow and another on top, so after I put the air in hose, I take a scrap and just wipe down on the line of glue. It stays between the two sheets of plastic and you can just tear most of it off. gotta be careful tho, stuff can be sharp!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2024, 08:08:32 AM »
I never used all my EA-40 before it was out of date, so It's KennyM's  :knothead: fault for not having the correct size for me.
I did nothing wrong :dunno:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2024, 09:12:00 AM »
I never used all my EA-40 before it was out of date, so It's KennyM's  :knothead: fault for not having the correct size for me.

You just need to use more each time!!  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2024, 10:25:56 AM »
I go though about 4 gallons a year of EA 40, and it’s a lot more cost effective buying it by the gallon than the 6 quart kits.  Last year I bought empty caulking tubes and loaded up a dozen at a time. First attempt was a bit messy, but I finally got it down to a science.

The caulking tube method I would highly recommend even for smaller quantities. The longevity would be much longer not being exposed to air every time you open the can. The application for mixing is a thing of beauty too.  Two squeezes of the resin, and one on the hardener in a paper cup and you are good to go.

The only down side is that you need to keep the current tubes you are using above 60 degrees so it flows out of the caulking tube easily.

You can reuse the caulking tubes after they are empty, but getting the bottom back out is tricky without damaging it…. One refill per tube is all I do, then I buy more tubes. They are cheap, and it just takes all the waste or contamination out of the picture….  I’ve gone through 4 gallons using this method now, and it’s well worth the time and caulking tubes purchased.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2024, 11:07:44 AM »
Great idea.
We should put that in the Tips and Tricks thread.
I like to use Huntsmans epoxy and I think would be the ticket.
Thanks.

Offline jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2024, 01:06:28 PM »
I was originally going to use colored glass.  Changed my mind going to go with clear.  Haven't  decided on riser or veneers yet.  So many choices.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2024, 01:22:21 PM »
Far right looks like a good riser piece. Veneers zebra or something with lighter grain even osage
High on Archery.

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2024, 01:51:12 PM »
I’d like to go out on a limb and try something new - lets call it “Ask your Victim”?  I’m applying the outermost accent to the back of the riser, and am totally stuck between two choices, either would look great. The interior decorator/assistant was ambiguous.  Since this is in effect a “custom build”, why not ask the person who’s going to receive it?  So the two photo’s attached are the options, Rosewood or Maple Burl. The black and white have already been applied, so they are fixed. The same will apply to the belly below the grip heel.
Since none of you know if you are the victim, all should chime in.  Then when I get the real victims response, I’ll go with that.  Or maybe take the majority - democracy, you know?
Thanks in advance!!

Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2024, 01:52:35 PM »
Sorry, pictures screwed up, again.

Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2024, 02:05:29 PM »
Maple burl me think.

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2024, 02:37:23 PM »
I like the dark one

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2024, 02:39:06 PM »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2024, 02:52:40 PM »
Cool looking tip overlays Noah. :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

I like the dark overlays myself, but the stark white might be a bit much.... maybe a golder color instead of white, or something that matches the tip overlay color might look better.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2024, 03:02:36 PM »
Rosewood for sure.
BTW, no-one else needs to reply because that one is coming to Iowa……I hope!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2024, 03:17:40 PM »
Well......  We have fireworks this morning.... Damn shame too because it was bending nicely until she blew!

Here are a few photos and a little info fist.... I profiled it from 1.375" to about 3/4" at the tips for rough stringing purpose, and filed the temp tip notches in at 66" length.  The first brace was done with a long string and a 5" brace and she came out about 7/8" positive.

The tiller process was done with a palm sander and 80 grit paper, much like i tiller my glass bows. It actually took very little sanding belly and back, with a slight amount of trap to the belly to hit even tiller. here she is after i hit even tiller.

I had eased the edges using 80 & 150 grit both belly and back of the limbs before putting it on the tiller tree. See the link posted below for the video....   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJgqBU9sc5TwKNF59

Back to the drawing board.... :biglaugh:     I'd be interested to hear any feed back. i was a bit disappointed that this fossilized bamboo didn't hold up better..... from the looks of the break i'd say the back let go first. unfortunately i didn't film this with my high speed camera, i just used my phone. So i don't think i can slow it down enough to see a frame by frame of it coming apart.   I've added a bunch of pics of the broken limb in the album link below.  What do you think guys?   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/65qB8TLhqTR4FJzB6
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: February 20, 2024, 03:54:54 PM »
Prob the camera angle but looked like the right limb was bending a little more off end of wedge.

I'm not much on all wood bows tho...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2024, 04:10:48 PM »
Prob the camera angle but looked like the right limb was bending a little more off end of wedge.

Video was backwards but like kenny said bottom limb (right side of video).
That bamboo could be to much for the core. :dunno:
I would say with all wood limbs to draw without holding, but you have to test it, so I don't know.
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2024, 04:20:26 PM »

Video was backwards but like kenny said bottom limb (right side of video).
That bamboo could be to much for the core. :dunno:
I would say with all wood limbs to draw without holding, but you have to test it, so I don't know.

That was a rock hard maple core.... Look at the photos closely of the break itself...the nice clean break on the belly side was straight accross. That tells me the back came apart first and the belly snaped last.... I did a slower motion video with a bit of editing here, but i still cannot see it actually come apart. I may have to set up my high speed video camera and break the other limb to be sure....

here is that clip.... i've watched it a half dozen times and cannot really see it come apart....

https://youtu.be/-GDulwRiI94?si=QBjh-DCpYAD2BdyI
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Nicholi, PV, Jon Lipovac, Crooked Stic, rmorris and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©