INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please feel free to post about Fred  (Read 8232 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Please feel free to post about Fred
« on: May 07, 2023, 08:12:37 AM »
Stories about Fred, his Books, Videos and what ever else you would like to talk about.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please feel free to post about Fred
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 05:51:21 PM »
I met Fred for the first time at the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational. I don't remember the exact year, but it was shortly after Bighorn came out with the Ramhunter longbow. I had been shooting an old Bear recurve some but hadn't committed to shooting traditional yet. I rode up to the shoot with a friend and didn't have a longbow. Just planned to hang out. We stopped by Bighorns' tent and Fred asked me where my bow was. Told him I didn't own a longbow and he said for me to pick one out and go shoot it! I found a lefty on the rack and he gave me a half a dozen arrows, a glove and an arm guard. Then He and Tom Parsons went to the range with me and my friend and I commenced to lose two of the arrows and break three! I tried to pay him for them but he just laughed and asked me if I had fun. I told him I had a blast and he said, "then we're even!"
I always looked him up at Cloverdale and when I started shooting a Widow, he made fun of my plywood bow. Several years later I was shooting the practice range at Cloverdale and caught up with Fred and a couple of other guys. Fred was shooting a Widow! Before I could say anything, he grinned and said "it don't shoot too bad for a plywood bow" and if a Widow would hold up for someone from West Terrible Haute, they must pretty tough!
I am sure that to Fred, I was an acquaintance, but I always considered him to be my friend. Attending Compton and Cloverdale won't be the same for me without hearing "How's things in West Terrible Haute?" I hope he knew that loaning me that bow and arrows and the time that he and Tom Parsons took to help me with the fundamentals that day set me on a path that I am still on today. Thank you Fred!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 01:06:18 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Fred in the early 2000's down in South Georgia.  He along with several Traditional Bowhunters
of Georgia were members of a bowhunting lease called "Paradise" and had plenty of hogs and deer.  We had a rendevous type weekend hog hunting. My first impression of him was he was a mountain of a man who looked like a mountain man.  I still remember he was wearing a Hudson bay type longcoat that was bold red, yellow, and white wide stripes. He was just another one of the guys, but he made a lasting impression on me.   
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
I met G. Fred at PBS San Antonio.  Talked to him in the vendor area, and mentioned that I shot a "straight limbed recurve", a reference to statements he made in his writing about the D/R longbows with locator or pistol grips.  He chuckled and said, "you just don't know how much something is going to come back to you after it is in print."  We were at the same table during dinner with the Wensel boys, I was in hog heaven.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:57:47 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 12:40:35 AM »
I last saw Fred in person at one of his shooting clinics in Nixa with Ken Beck and the guys a few years back.
We shot hay bales for two days and it was there that things finally clicked for me and I developed a (fairly) consistent draw and release.  Fred's patient, amiable manner just made the time fly by.
All packed up to leave I shook his hand and thanked him for keeping the trad spirit alive.

Good memories.   :campfire:

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Rick Henry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 11:49:11 PM »
I met Fred one time. It was at Kalamazoo a couple of years ago. I had read all his articles I could get my hands on because he shot a bow the way I shoot a bow. My brother and I taught ourselves as kids with the old solid fiberglass bows. We didn’t know how to aim we just looked at what we wanted to hit and let the arrow fly and after a while we got pretty accurate most of the time. We didn’t know what it was called and I had never heard of instinctive shooting. Fast forward several years and I had stopped shooting bows. I didn’t even own an adult sized bow. I started shooting compounds with sights and a string peep and for a while it was fun but after a while I lost interest. One day I was at my parents house and I noticed my old fiberglass bow hanging on a gun rack in my dads unattached garage along with a couple of old BB guns. I grabbed the bow and a few old arrows and shot it a little. Thankfully it was structurally sound. It was like being a kid all over again. In no time I was hitting what I looked at with that little bow out to about 15 yards or so. I have never shot a compound bow again since that day. Fast forward 10 or so years and I am hooked on trad archery and own several bows and I am shooting almost daily. I always shot the way my brother and I did as kids and had a lot of fun and also got pretty darn accurate. Then things changed. I joined a club and started to shoot 3D tournaments and guys started telling me all the things I was doing wrong. The cant of the bow, my stance,my arrows and my release. They were trying to help me and I bought into it because I wanted to get better and most of them were pretty darn good. So I listened and I changed every single thing I knew about shooting a bow. I even bought an expensive super heavy riser and ILF limbs in different weights.  They are all good guys but my shooting got worse and worse. It was frustrating to say the least. I just couldn’t get used to using the point of my arrow to aim and the stance didn’t feel natural to me and I didn’t like holding the bow more in a vertical position. Honestly I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn anymore. So I go to Kalamazoo and Fred and his wife are there. I bought one of his wool back quivers and start talking to Fred. I tell him I always enjoyed his articles and mention that he had written in one of his articles that he was always amazed how guys were always trying to change how they shoot in an attempt to get better and that I had done the same exact thing. He says “ how is that working out for you?”  I replied that basically I stink and most days I’m pretty frustrated. He then says “then go back to what you were doing before”. It was like a lightbulb came on. I came home and started shooting the way I had always shot a bow. And now a couple of years later I shoot better than I ever have. I don’t shoot tournaments anymore and for the most part I’m a loner. I stump shoot and bow fish and I might start hunting again this fall. I enjoy shooting the stick and string again and I’m pretty darn accurate out to about 25 yards. I know this has gotten long winded but the moral to my story is I guess you can’t always teach an old dog new tricks. Competition isn’t for everyone, me included and their isn’t just one way to shoot a bow. I shoot differently than a lot of guys but that’s ok with me. The way I shoot is best for me and the only way I can shoot accurately and be consistent. Call it instinctive or call me a snap shooter or say I have target panic. Doesn’t matter to me at all anymore. I don’t really know what my style is all I know is it works for me. Lol. And I really feel that I owe it all to that short conversation with Fred in Kalamazoo. Wish I would have gotten the chance to talk to him again because I would have told him how much that little talk helped me out. Nothing against the guys that tried to change how I shoot, they were just trying to help but from here on out I will do it my way. The way I think Fred Asbel did it and a lot like Fred Bear and so many others did it.

Rick Henry

Offline Dogsoldier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2024, 12:44:47 AM »
Doesn't anyone have any pictures of Bighorn bows? I can't find any at all! Fred made some gorgeous bows but I never got the chance to buy one...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©