INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Welcome...  (Read 57736 times)

Offline treehermit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Welcome...
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Looks like a great group.  Thanks for the forum!

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Roadkill, I laugh more then at things in the service than I do now.  Such as, when a sub I was on had a minor hickup with a valve and was loosing depth. I watched the depth gauge spin in the missle compartment until we got the valve secured. None of us were scared. Back then, we were too young and dumb to realize we might be meeting our maker.  Later a friend I traveed across country with I called Doc, did on a similar situation when his sub, the Scorpion, went down.

That same "I ain't gonna die" attitude that the service help provide was my salvation to recovery when I was in a fatal one car accident and was the driver when I was in the Navy. I'm smart enough to  try to avoid any potential fatal situations now.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I left for Nam on my 20th birthday and returned to the world on my 21st and I am still celebrating.
All gave some,some gave all. Bob

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
I was in high school friends going to college.

I saw an army commercial I went to the recruiter.

He said son do you like to drink beer and go camping? I Said who the F don't. He said the infantry is the job for you son!

BEST choice I ever made, got out went college for free and been a cop for the last 15 years.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Keb, thank you for your service on both fronts! Welcome at my campfire anytime.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline lablover

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
Joined straight out of high school, coming from a navy family all I ever wanted was to be a sailor. Well at 17 I got my wish. But looking back on 22 years can't say it was a bad run. More good times then bad and a lot of great memories. Four boys later I have one now serving our mutual uncle in the sub service. Don't know. Where I went wrong   A bubble head oh well we're still proud of him. Terry thanks for the forum.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Online MnFn

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Yes, good ol' Fort Leonard Wood.  Still remember my first drill sergeant.  Drill Sergeant Godfrey.  A Bowhunter, I believe.  He pulled a bow out of his vehicle to show another DI while we were doing push ups.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
"Going back to the World"...always got a conversation started
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I feel proud to associate with all you fellas. My story is not so glorious and my post military career is where I pay my dues to America. My father was a Vietnam vet and that along with 1st Blood made me decide to join up with the army reserve during my senior year of high school. I left to basic training on august 4th 1990, the same week as the launch of desert storm. I was an orthopedic tech in a field hospital unit and never was deployed. Chased women, drank beer and sat around doing nothing during drills. Six years of that and I was done.

Went to college with help from uncle Sam and I have to say my non remarkable enlistment time still saved me from going down the wrong path.

Having seen what combat has done to some family members, including my two nephews who have safely returned from Afghanistan and Iraq with the USMC, I hate to say it but I have no desire to see my sons go there. At the same time, I respect all of you who've been down the path more than I could ever express. Thanks for your sacrifices.

Offline New Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Proud to have served, proud to be part of this group.

My story sounds like many of yours, 19 years old, no college and a rotten economy in the early 80's. Joined the army as an MP ended up getting posted in Germany.  My First Sergeant had grown up about an hour away from me and I'll be damned if those deer hunting pictures my family sent me didn't make my room inspections a piece of cake. He spent more time talkin' deer that he did room inspecting.
Got out in the spring of 84 and a month later got hired by my hometown Police Department.  I start my 32nd year June 4th.
I owe a lot of who I am to those two years...

Thanks to all who served

Chris

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Here's an interesting website I happened across.

http://www.onlineatanthem.com/anthem-veterans-memorial
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
It is good that we have such a place. There are things that can be said, or unsaid, that would not be understood by others.
 Waking up alive is a good sign.  .
In 2013 we had a first reunion of the guys in my company in over 40+ years, only about 15 then but we have found more since. It is good.
RLTW
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for your service. Sometimes just reading other peoples stories is a comfort. We all have sacrificed and go quietly about our lives. I know now more than ever, I appreciate every day I have with my family and friends. You are all family, brothers in arms. Miss my brothers who are long departed so much. Thanks Terry!
USMC 82-86

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Little late getting here, just the opposite of the military's 'hurry up and wait'.  Thought I had it all planned out after high school.  I was going to join the Army Security Agency(4years) and go to Crypto repair school.  Get out, finish college and get a job at the pentagon.  Trouble is the ASA had different plans for me and never saw the school I wanted(no guarantees back in '66.  Sent me to signal supply school and ended up in Turkey taking care of the 'in country boys and their needs.  Developed a trick shoulder playing flag football too often and was operated on stateside the month before discharge.  Extended for a year and ended up giving Uncle Sam 5 years.  I really thought it was a waste of 5 years and started out being a civilian again behind the times.  Now I know better; went to Penn State on the GI bill while raising 3 children.  Got a degree in '78 and wouldn't say anything bad about 'yesterday's military at all. Retired from the USPS; I'm a Life Member of Disabled Veterans and volunteer my services when I can.
Glad to be with you guys.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Well, here goes...

I flunked out of High School in 1978. After 4 years there, I was still in 9th grade math & 9th grade English. Got called into the office one day,right before Graduation... Principle tells me, "You know there's no way in hell,you're going to ever graduate... Do us all a favor & don't bother coming back next year." I went up to the recruiter's office & the man says "You can have a uniform just like this!!!" Well, I tell him I haven't graduated... "No problem Son!!! What you have is what we here in the Marine Corp. call, The High School Equivalent!!!" (Meaning basicly, my body was physicaly in school for 12 years,LMAO!!!) I headed for Paris Island 4 days later, June 28th 1978.

Boot Camp was Ok, On the Rifle Range I kept playing with my sights on my M-16. The PMI went BONKERS!!!!! I'd hunted woodchucks all my life & long range shooting was old hat!!! On Qualification day, I made 10 head shots, at the 500yd line. Impressed the snot out of the Bn. Commander. Probly even gave him a chubby! LOL  The day before Graduation, I was given 2 sets of orders... The 1st was to Advanced Infantry School at Camp LeJeune NC, The 2nd was to the Marine Scout Sniper School at Quantico,Va.

After graduating Sniper School, I went back to Camp LeJeune,await transfer to the 1st RECON Scout Sniper Platoon, at Camp Pendalton,Ca... I was in a holding Company for about a week, waiting for my orders. Every motning, we all went to the Gym, to see if our orders came through. If they didn't call your name, you had Base Liberty untill the following morning. One morning, the C.O. of the 2nd RECON Bn. came in looking for volunteers. The wheels started turning...I had managed to dodge Okinowa, by going to Sniper School... I was going to Camp Pendelton Ca. If I raised my hand... I'd be stationed in N.C. & MAYBE, be able to get home for deer season...???

The rest My Brothers & Sisters... Is History!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2015, 02:23:00 AM »
A lot of brothers here.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2015, 01:18:00 AM »
Joined the Navy in 1964 the day before receiving my draft notice. Between June 1965 and September 1968 did three West Pack tours aboard the USS Kennebec AO-36 running up and down the Vietnam coastline replenishing other ships and gun boats with fuel, cargo, and ammunition. I started shooting archery on a consistent basis after being discharged from active duty in late 1968. I am now 70 years old and still shooting. In fact I recently ordered another bow, like I really needed one. May be the last bow I may ever order, but then again maybe not.   :)
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Texoma Felton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Thank you Terry.

Like so many in mid 60's was drafted. Basic at Ft Polk La. During orientation an officer ask me what I did in civilian life. I told him I was 3rd gen in refergeration, and he ask me if I would like to be in ref and air conditioning during my stay with Uncle, jumped on it beats carying a rifle.
Orders after basic for Airborn Electronics and Special Warfare board. Fort Bragg N C. Small attached unit tested military equipment,everything from night scopes to C 141 first pure jet troupe transport.we tested it and officers wrote manuels before Army approved purchase. 126 unlisted men 86 officers. Spent remainder of active duty there missed Nan but tested a lot of equipment that went there.
"IF YOU LIVE ON THE LAKE YOU ARE LUCKEY ENOUGH "

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
USN-62-66

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
Lets see,  senior in High school and got into some trouble.  My parents didn't deserve the aggravation, they raised me better, so I enlisted.  12 days outa graduation I'm in Basic.  Served at Eglin AFB, DaNang Air Base (71-72), Takhli RTAFB Thailand, and Kinchloe AFB, on the UP.    As Sgt. King says, "Every day is gravy"
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©