INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ground blind button buck  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground blind button buck
« on: December 24, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I have spent this deer season hunting a piece of property on Wadmalaw Island, SC. The place was crawling with deer but I found the place to be quite challenging to hunt. I have spent the majority of my hunting career using climbing stands and lock ons to hunt the upstate, but this place offered very few opportunities to get in a tree. I did manage to shoot a doe earlier this year while perched on a pine limb, but ground blinds were the name of the game for me this year. I had opportunities to shoot some small bucks early on, and refrained because the owner had mentioned that he would like to let the little guys walk. Fast forward the rather unproductive season to a few nights ago. I set up in a ground blind on a heavily used trail and had 5 does ease out just beyond my effective range. 5 minutes later a pair came back to me and offered me a 20 yard shot. The woodsman entered perfectly and I was able to track her  by the sound of my arrow hitting saplings as she ran off. I could tell she took a hard right toward the marsh. My girlfriend and I took up the track an hour later and we had no other alternative than to bring along two house dogs who would have ripped her truck to shreds had we left them. Little did I know, one of them is an excellent deer tracker. The blood trail was awesome and I let her take the dog to track. We found the "doe" which turned out to be a buttonhead about 200 yards later dead in the marsh; my arrow nowhere to be found. It was getting late so we loaded everyone up and I would have to return later to find my arrow, which I did a few days later. I would have been heartbroken to not have found it because the button buck marked the 6th deer with the same arrow and head, and the 2nd deer Ive killed on the ground with it. It was also great to have Meredith along for her first deer tracking.

Ben the new deer tracker.
[/url] [/IMG]

#6 Arrow  

[/url] [/IMG]

Re: Ground blind button buck
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Congrats!

Bisch

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Congrats!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Congrats!  Great Story. I'm happy you have a  new tracking committee. lol
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Nice job Mr. Holler!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
that arrow has some MOJO.  Good job.
I've got an arrow on the shelf for next season.  I got 3 deer with it this year.  It took 3 weeks to find it after i shot the mule deer.  Yellow feathers, yellow dipped and I shot the deer in an Aspen grove.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Congrats! 6 with one arrow that's awesome!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Very cool, congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©