INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos?  (Read 27997 times)

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos?
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos to share?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Here's the grizzly that Dan killed with the shafts I made for him. He used 160 Snuffers with my barrel-tapered Superceder shafts and got complete penetration to the hide on the opposite side, quartering through the chest at about 15 yards. He was on a high bank overlooking a salmon stream when the big old sow came by him. She squared 8 1/2 feet and was big enough to make P & Y. The other man is his friend who was his guide in Alaska on the trip, whose name I have unfortunately forgotten. When Dan shot this bear, he had an open wound on the bottom of his foot, so he couldn't have run if she had seen him. He later lost the foot, due to diabetes and "hospital" staph infection that wouldn't heal. It hardly slowed him down at all!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Don, that's a great photo and great story!  Thanks for sharing!!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
When Dan told me the story, he said she looked so big it was like shooting a bus. She "woofed" when the arrow hit and whipped her head around, and Dan froze in place. She didn't see him, and walked on across the river and into the woods. He wisely didn't go in after her until the next morning, where he found her dead in no more than 100 yards.

Only Dan would have hunted grizzly bears with such a wound in his foot! It was not the only close encounter he had on the trip, and he could only hobble around. The man was amazing. The world is a smaller place since he passed on.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I use this as a desktop from time to time.  
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
When Dan told me the story, he said she looked so big it was like shooting a bus. She "woofed" when the arrow hit and whipped her head around, and Dan froze in place. She didn't see him, and walked on across the river and into the woods. He wisely didn't go in after her until the next morning, where he found her dead in no more than 100 yards.

Only Dan would have hunted grizzly bears with such a wound in his foot! It was not the only close encounter he had on the trip, and he could only hobble around. The man was amazing. The world is a smaller place since he passed on.

Barley, thanks for asking.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Here's my Dan Quillian tree stand from the 60s.  I spent many a day in it but you couldn't pay me enough to get in it now.  Measured 17.5" x 13'5".  Shot many a deer out of it.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
oh- that's just plain scary.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Looks like it makes a good seat now    :biglaugh:
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I know Dan took that Grizzly after his heart attack. Can't remember the poundage he was shooting. In one of my conversations with Dan, after the attack, he was struggling with 30# bows...
A true ambassador to the sport of Archery and Georgia.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Are there any videos of Dan available?  I had a lot of respect for him and his role in archery history.
Lon Scott

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
When I bought my longbow I received a VHS tape with Dan showing how to set up the bow,stringing the bow,brace height,tying on a dental floss nocking point.He was sitting on the tailgate of a pickup out in the woods.He explained the theory behind instinctive aiming how the computer between your ears will make the adjustments.Then he proceeds to shoot a few arrows explaining proper form.This was my first introduction to traditional archery.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 03:25:00 AM »
mickeyes4, do you still have the vhs? mine got caught and wound up defibulized.
sure wished he'd a sent me a dvd.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing the photos and stories.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
Just a short. I'm talking to Dan on the phone, in reference to an adv posted on whatchamacallit.
He ask me a simple question. You ever shot a bow before? He must of understood from the question that I had emailed earlier that I was a valued customer. I said yes, he said when, I said a long time ago, he said how long, I said don't remember, he says allright now we have something to work with.
He brought me back into traditional archery and a kinder man I've never met.
But I'll bet he's still chucklin.

But he waited and I said yes. He asked, what's your draw2 length, and if I remember correctly, I believe, I said 1968.
He said, we need to talk on the phone
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Dan.  Archery Traditions, Dan's old archery shop in Athens, GA, was just up the road from where I lived.  The individual that owns it now worked for Dan at one time.  I heard alot of stories from him.  That is where I would go to pick up some items.  They have a little trad stuff left but mostly compound stuff.  That Bear is mounted standing in the corner.  It is supposed to be that same bear, not sure.  

Dan was a driving force for getting bowhunting going in GA.  They say he would go to various places where gun hunters were present and challenge them to shoot their 30/06 through a milk jug filled with sand.  When the bullet wouldn't go through he would politely put a heavy wood shaft through the jug.  I never saw it but that was the story in a nutshell.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Yeah, Dan hollered at me up at the bowhunting trade show the year he lost that leg---walked over and pulled up his pant leg and said "check out my new bow limb" and it did look just like a fibreglass lamininated bow limb---being Dan, it might have been.

I've got some pictures round here of Dan from some of the old original Howard Hill shoots. When i can find them i'll try to post them here.
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Bowferd I still have the tape.I'll check with my son see if he can transfer the VHS to DVD.If so I'll send you a copy.It'll be awhile,he's away in college.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Called his shop one day about ordering & bow particulars not expecting to talk directly w/Dan. We talked nearly 2 hours like we were related. He talked of research w/ff & hybrid designs with chronos of 215fps! He told me about taking his bear & his bad foot and how he couldn't get around much anymore. I thanked him for his credibility and contributions to archery. He died a few short months later.

Dan made me feel important enough to talk to. I'd bet he did the same with most everybody that gave him the chance. That's special. I won't forget.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Joe skipp, Dan was shooting a Longhunter around 70# when he shot the grizzly. His arrows were 30", I think. He wouldn't have hunted grizzly with low poundage. If it was after a heart attack, he was well recovered from it.

Joel, that artificial leg WAS a bow limb, built for him by Owen Jeffrey. He had a foot made for it that looked like a bird or dinosaur foot with long toes, that he designed to have some spring in it for walking in the woods. Can you imagine the tracks he left?    :)  

Hatchaser, the grizzly was mounted standing, on a platform that had a dead salmon in the edge of a stream made into the base, all in plastic. Since a grizzly bear's claws are very valuable, the claws in the mount were replaced with artificial ones. Dan had the real claws made into a necklace by a Native American friend, in the traditional fashion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©