INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us  (Read 22285 times)

Offline Gene Langston

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Some years ago, Dan lost a foot to diabetes.  He tried a prosthetic foot, but was dissatisfied with it.  So he rigged up a a recurve bow limb and used that for a foot substitute.  He never lost his good humor.

He was one of a kind, had an Airstream trailer that he took on business trips that he kept rattlesnakes in (one got loose once, and stayed loose for a while.)

I think Dan's primary role was in promoting traditional archery.  And he was very good at promoting it and in my opinion, was instrumental in creating a market for recurves and longbows after the compound bow pretty well wiped out the recurve/longbow market. I know he did around here, and as someone else mentioned, he was one of the prime movers in getting a bow season started in Georgia.  

When he lived in Athens and ran his business out of his house, shopping direct was an adventure!  He had stuff stowed away everywhere, and some especially collectable bows.  One made by Buchanan, and another lovely flat bow of yew, can't remember who made it but it was fantastic.

It might take him a while, but if he had an uncommon something you wanted (and he almost always did) he'd eventually find it.  I bought a feather burner, he had to go to the loft to find it.  "I know I got one, it's around here somewhere."

Both his son, DD, and his daughter, Dr. Kay Quillian Carr, live in Oconee county.  I think there may be another older sibling whom I've not met.

So far, the paper has not release arrangements.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks for posting all these remembrances, I am learning about a man whom I have never met. His name has danced around my periphery for many years, but our circles never met. From what I have learned so far, it will forever be my loss.

Joel, your writings I found especially touching. Thank you for showing me a wide range of the man's character. Ingenuity, humor, practicality, loyalty, tenacity, generosity... a treasure has moved from our sphere and left us some high blazes on the trail.

Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Monty Browning asked me to post this for him  since he says he is computer neglected (he hates them)...... he states " I first saw Dan Quillian in 1969-70 at an archery shoot near Rock Hill SC. Dan was talking to a group of archers about bowhunting, archery, tackle and sorts. I was a young man and I didn't know anything,Dan was the first guy I could understand the explanation of things. Later as I grew older and had many visits with him at local shoots and functions I realized Dan was one of the very few people that understood bowhunting and archery and how they really worked together and sometimes against each other. He understood the place each component( bowhunting, field archery,equipment, local archery clubs, etc.) contributed to this sport. He saw the whole picture. Dan was a strong person who I respected greatly."
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
I think the year was 1994, I had taken my soon to be wife Caren up to Athens to a few art shops.  I chose not to go to the art shops and go to this archery Traditons place I heard about.

I walked in there and opened up my case and pulled out this cam bow I'd been shooting for years.  Noticed this older gent sitting in a chair, he smiled, I smiled although I did not know who he was.

I shot the range for about an hour, shoot then adjust sights, shoot some more and tinker some more.

When I was finished, all packed up, this older gent still sitting in the chair asks if I'd ever shot a longbow.  I told him I had many years ago but that was then and this, pointing at the cam bow was now.

He bet me that if I shot his longbow, he would have me hitting inside a pie plate in 15 minutes.  I said, okay as my soon to be wife had not arrived yet.

My soon to be wife arrived, LATE!  So for 30 minutes I got a one on one private longbow shooting lesson from Dan himself that day.  I was hitting in the pie plate when I left.

That was the last time I ever shot that cam bow.  I traded it for a longbow.

I grew up reading about Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, watching Fred Bear on tv specials.  I later realized who Dan was and to this day, I am proud to say that I got a one on one longbow lesson from him and he converted me.

Thanks Dan.

Frank V. Rago
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
These are great stories about Dan. He touched a lot of people. Keep them coming.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I've owned a Patriot, and just today bought a used Longhunter.  Rest in Peace, friend.  Or better yet, don't rest in peace, RAISE H*** in that land where you are.  Teach the harp players how to restring their harps into recurves and longbows  :)
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline vthunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear of Dan's passing.
My condolences to his family.

I have one of Dan's Patriot recurve bows that is 57# and love it.
LM NRA
LM NAHC
LM NSSA

Offline Buckscout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
I never got to meet Dan face to face but I talked to him several times over the phone. The first time was years ago when he was still running Archery Traditions and I called his shop from work one day. I was shooting a recurve then and called about possibly finding some turkey fletching already ready to use. I was surprised at how quickly he warmed up and just wanted to talk trad archery with me. We talked for almost an hour. I was very impressed to say the least and really enjoyed talking with him. It seemed like I'd known him for a long time.He sent me some info, and since we had been talking about Mr. Hill, he also sent a pic of he and Howard on a little hunting trip he had been on with him.
  I later picked up the longbow for good because of the influence of Howard, and also a man I actually got to talk a lot with, Dan Quillian. I bought one of his bamboo longhunters a few years ago used and talked with him about that bow. He always had time to talk archery! There's no doubt he stuck to his opinions as some have already mentioned, but he found the things that worked for him, and that was that. I am very saddened by his passing and very glad to have gotten to know just a tiny part of what he was about. May God comfort his family in these days and I know all of our prayers are with them.
Paul Williams

"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline johnnail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
......"Get a good, deep grip"
and then he'd pucker up and shoot
this is certainly a pointed conversation....

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
In 91 I was on my way home to get married from Ft. Benning GA. I had read somewhere about Dan's archery shop and decided to check it out. I was a die hard compund shooter then, competing well with an Oregon Deschutes I had purchased from a great shop owner in Wapakaneta OH. Dan worked with me for about 15 minutes (promising the pie plate thing and prounounced I was ready to hunt!) and sold me my first longbow (the red elm model #1hundered and something) and what started as a little side trip is now my 15th or 16th year carrying nothing but a longbow. I still have the bow but not the wife!!

Rest easy Dan, we'll catch up soon enough

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of his passing.
I purchased one of his U-Finish bows last year. Talked with him on the phone concerning brace height and what finish he recommended. That longbow was the first one I owned that was in a hunting weight.
I felt that today would be a good day to take that bow out and do some stump shooting, then launch one in memory of Dan.
God speed Dan. You'll be missed by many.

No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I met Dan a couple of times, bought one of his Canebreak recurves from Archery Traditions when I first started in traditional archery.
 I would say a person lived a good full life when they have touched this many people.
 Prayers said for the family.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Dan had a real nice funeral Saturday, buried in Oconee Hill cemetary (right over behind Sanford Stadium) on a hill with a great view, bout the highest spot around. He probably picked that spot himself---right under an oak that drops a lot of acorns, still a bunch on the ground....happy hunting Dan.
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline billy on the road

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
I called Dan when I was looking for  a kit bow for my son. We talked probably 20 minutes that day and his recommendation was to buy a kit from another bowyer.
He was friendly,helpful and all anyone could ask of an Ambassador.
Dan is one reason that my two boys are shooting with me.
I didn't know who he was the day I called him, I didn't know for a year or so after that either. But, I do know something about the man I spoke with that day, and the world is a dimmer place for his passing.
Rest Well, Mr. Quillian. Best to the Family.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Once Dan was asked about the speed of his longbow - compared to a compound.  "I can get an arrow into a deer faster than a compound guy, so I guess mine's faster" he quipped  HA!  Dan had a way to cut straight to the point.

I use to talk quite a bit with Dan when he did the Bowhunting Trade Shows in Louisville many years ago. "Get a good grip on it" was what Dan once told me about my hand position on the string.  Been doing that ever since Dan!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Condolences to his Family , I am the proud owner of several of his bows and and happy to have had a few short phone conversations with him . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Shot with him years ago - the man was a gentleman in my books.  He took time to help and teach others even when he was strapped for time.  dan you still are one of the great ones in my book.  Will see you sooner than I want!  Good bye and happy hunting in our archers' paradise in the sky...my friend.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline Ozi Jeffro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I have one of his patriot bows,its been a goodun.
I was gonna sell it.Might hold off on that that now.
I have a question...would it have been made by him personally
here it is  
RIP Dan

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of his passing.  He will be sorely missed.  Down to earth, and would take time out to talk with a new trad hunter!  Thanks, Mr. Dan!!!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline BEAR CLAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Like so many of us I started out bowhunting as a kid with traditional gear (Bear Grizzly) and was mistakenly lured to and swithed to the compound bow.  After several years of hunting with the compound I picked up one of his longbows but just couldn't seem to get back a trditional shooting form.  After finding out that Dan had his telephone number posted on **** and was offering his assistance to anyone that wished to call him, I gave him a call one night.  That telephone call turned out to be just the first of several calls to him for help and advice.  The man was a complete gentleman who just couldn't help me enough.  Today because of his willingness to assist me I have returned to hunting only with traditional gear and I am shooting better than ever before.  As I have told you many times before, "THANK YOU DAN", you will forever be missed!!!!!!!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©