INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us  (Read 22272 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
ferret, you bring back some fond memories for me. Dan gave me the most important archery lesson ever. "If your arrow is not pointing towards the bullseye, it want hit it"
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline wmcclendon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
I never met Dan, but I've been around DD a good bit.  I'm pretty sure that acorn didn't fall from the tree and Dan must have been one heck of a guy.  I know he'll be missed.  My prayers will be with the family and friends he's left behind for streets of gold.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Most folks have no idea what Dan has done for bowhunting. We were at a 4-H meeting where Wayne Pacell (PETA) was speaking. Dan stood and asked him what his salary was. He ignored him. He stayed standing and kept asking until security made him leave. His examples where easy to follow cause he was right.
they thru me out about 10 minutes later :-)
He also convinced me to switch from a recurve to a longbow after watching me shoot. That was 1990 or so.  Bye Dan.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I'd written to inquire after his health last week. He had my complete and absolute respect.

Here's to you, Dan. Well done.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Biggie and I just hung up telling ole Dan stories. One of my favorite Dan stories was in the early 90's at the Atlanta Buckerama ( Redneckarama) ole Dan had a booth with his full mounted bear in it, basically showing everyone what a longbow could take down. He was a hit. After the show ...get this now... he strapped that huge bear on the back of his Winnebago using hitch haul for the base. Off he went on I-285 in Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon deep in Atlanta church traffic. My buddy Trigger and me were following him to make sure he didn't have any trouble. People were either driving up yelling at him or waving at him. We laughed so hard we almost wet our pants. i asked him later did the granola crunchers get on his nerves that day yelling at him. he said " Nope, he knew his power sterring was a little loose and he was swerving some." !!!!!!  I loved it..

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

Here is a pic of him and the bear.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
May He RIP

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
That's a shame. He had a great influence on a lot of archers...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
A friend and hunting partner of Dan taught me to shoot the longbow at age 8.  Got to hear a few stories.......he will be missed.

Prayers go out to all of Dan's friends and family.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
My first longbow was a Bamboo longhunter. I had several conversations with Dan while I had that bow. I bought it used but he said I coould call anytime....and I did a few times. BTW....I shoot with a deep hook.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Dan started the Ga Traditional Bowhunters in mid 80's. He was a one man show trying to get his archery business off the ground ( later on that) and raising a large family not to mention trying to form an unheard of bowhunting org in a state that barely had a season. Well his archery org concept was two new then and the new club folded. About 3 years later Biggie gets a call from Dan he had something to give him for the newly formed Traditional Bowhunters of Ga. Dan's old club had $1000 some odd dollars left over which no one knew but him. Dan donated that money to the new TBG which we in turn were able to buy our first targets to have shoots to raise money. Dan planted the seed money unselfishly. TBG every Blue Moon year or so gives a Dan Quillian award. The award is self expanatory. TBG is aproaching it's 16th year.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Joe, any word on the services...I've lost DD's # or would call direct. I'd like to send them something.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Rick Berry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Met Dan at an ASA shoot in Valdosta Ga. one time. He had a booth there and all of the compound shooters were passing him by. I walked up with my Black Widow in hand and it was like I'd run into an old friend.  Prayers to his friends and family. Rest easy my friend.
God Bless. ~Rick

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Adios.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Nothing yet Joe, they are still getting family together. DD's sister in law will call me asap.I'll pass on. Most that knew Dan knew about his diabetes and how he fought that. hell i think he won. it didn't kill him! Dan use to give himself shock treatments in the foot with a police taser to jump start circulation..oh heck another story...But probably a donation to the diabetes foundation may be great way to remember him.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks Joe, please pass it on when you hear.

I have fond memories of Mr. Quillian and the "old bowling alley", and of course tip my hat to him every year when my sportsman's license includes bowhunting...we simply wouldn't have a seperate season here in GA without him.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Good by Dan,
Thank you,for all you've done for Traditional archery.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Yep, Dan overcame a lot of serious health issues to keep on keeping on. He had a bout with Lyme disease back when nobody knew what it was, had heart troubles, lost limbs to diabetes, hardly slowed down. i used to work the archery trade show with Dan and have a lot of memories of those trips---I'll never forget the time we were driving to Louisville and somewhere around Dunlap, TN he started looking around in the floor of the van.....
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Great Spirt.....A hunter comes to you as swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun.....Welcome him to his place at the Eternal Hunter's Campfire.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Dan also laid the foundation to what is the IBO rules for Traditional Longbow Class. It's been tweaked some but it was all Dan for years. He let the Old ASA (Valdosta) have it for not conforming. Remember a man named Wayne Pearson? Dan also went to Africa 25 years ago before practically anyone and bowhunted. He was shooting 160 gr snuffers when they were REAL snuffers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©