INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us  (Read 22270 times)

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
my first longbow was also a longhunter it was a great bow to transition from a recurve.DAN had a very easy video to watch and learn from a life well lived

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
He convinced me that a 68" longbow was what I needed and I have never looked back.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline donb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
I haven't been looking on this site for a while, so I was shocked and saddened by the news of Dan's passing. Dan was a big influence on me in the late 80's when I first started in traditional archery. I bought one of the first Patriot recurves made and began shooting local tournaments. I have a closet full of trophies from tournaments where I shot that bow. Later, I ended up with about 14 bows of various kinds and would always go back to the Patriot when the chips were down. I was using that bow when I killed a Caribou on the hunt where I met my wife, so the bow has special sentimental value to me. My wife even has a soft spot for the bow! Several years ago I traded for a Longhunter and enjoy shooting it also. I'll never forget the excitement I enjoyed being in his shop and shooting his bows. My brother bought the canebrake that he brought to show everyone at the first Traditional Bowhunters of GA rendezvous in Sylvania, GA. One of my first dealings with Dan was when I spotted a couple of Archery Traditions bows hanging in a Pawn shop in Palmetto,GA. I knew the value of the bows, but I hoped the shop owner didn't. I got both bows for $150. A 65# Traveln Hunter, and a Howard Hill style bamboo longbow,57#. I couldn't pull the heavy bow, and I couldn't shoot the longbow well, so I called Dan to see about trading. The Pawn shop owner had told me that the owner of the bows had to hock them cuz he had a drug problem. Mrs Quillian informed me that the fella had paid for the bows with a forged check off his father's account! So I had two hot bows! Dan graciously allowed me to keep one of the bows. I kept the longbow, but eventually traded it since I never learned to shoot it. I have many more stories, but I'll save them for another campfire. I'm real happy Dan was honored a few years ago by TBG for his lifetime of achievement. I had tears when he was given a standing ovation. He deserved it. My heart goes out to the family during this difficult time.
"Lead on!"

Offline crazymoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Another " Great one has left us ". May you watch over us and guide our arrows true.
My prayers go out to the family.
God Bless.

Hoyt Dorado,
Nuge Strings Pro Staff

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
I am saddened to hear of his passing.  I bought a tab form him recently and it does accommodate the DEEP HOOK.  He was a straight shooter in all respects and his kind is getting rarer in this world.  

I further saddened by the fact that he had to go through so much from diabetes.  Peripheral Artery Disease or PAD is insidious and painful as it advances; this is what caused the lower limb circulation problems that Dan experienced.  Get a screening test for this if you are diabetic or have other risk factors like advanced age or smoking.  The test is called an Ankle Brachial Index or ABI and is like have a fancy blood pressure test done - easy and cheap.  If anyone has questions about this they can check out several websites or send me a PM and I'll answer as much as I can.  

May DQ rest in peace.

DD66
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline Tobie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
I met Dan at Jerry Hill's shoot in 1993 in Wilsonville, AL, he was undoubtedly one of the most unforgettable men that I've ever met.  He helped young archers on the practice range and was always ready with a comment about the history of archery. He spent some time with our group around the campfire and was kind enough to sign an arrow for me, along with the rest of our shooting group.  This arrow is one of my prized possessions. Truly a giant among men, rest in peace Dan.
"If you can't string it- don't bring it"

Offline Dragonslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
I had no idea he had passed away....my condolences to his friends and family
Better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.

Sincerely
Rich

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
Never met him, but I talked to him on the phone a few times and bought some of those old leftover glass arrows he offered a few years back. I've still got a few of them. He was always very helpful. Via con Dios, Dan.

Offline Tommy2993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I met him the first time at the Louisville trade
show,we were staying in the same hotel and met
before the show started.

The first morning of the show, Dan starts making waves about having a new recurve,the Cane Break,
that was faster than any compound in the place
pound for pound.

The more people that crowded around Dan's booth,
the louder he got, after what seemed forever,
Screaming eagles archery takes the challenge.

The closer we get to the chrono area the louder
Dan talks, we wind up with a bigger crowd than the room can handle.

A pro shooter from Martin archery is chosen to shoot both bows,the Compound shot 237 fps, now
this was fast for the early 80's, Dan's Cane break came thru at 240 fps, the crowd was stunned,the guys from Screaming Eagle made the comment at least we have let off.

I still have a signed Bamboo longhunter , and a
Cane break recurve, I will asways remember the big, Gruff,and not too politically correct, true
giant among archers.

Offline tobildteleez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I too have a canebreak and it is deadly acurate. pointable and FAST!!A favorite bow of all my other bows.

David

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
Wow, that is the first I heard of it. I bought some arrows off of him once. He was the real deal. Trad archery lost a good one.

Offline Old Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I am stunned and saddened to hear this news of a truely great and gentle man. I bought one of his bamboo backed/ipe longbows a year or so ago and the day it arrived I began a month long almost daily conversation about building my first bow, granted it was mostly made when I got it, but this man never tired of my questions and offered much more then simply a how to on finishing my bow but grew to Dan sharing his love of archery and his many years of experience in an ancient sport. My last conversation with him was a personal invite to vist him at his home. I will meet him one day and I bet my last arrow that he has a range set up and ready for the rest of us on a prime streatch of heavens real estate.

Bill
Old Stickbow

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
I heard of Dan's passing but just found this thread.
My conversion to trad was heavily influenced by Dan, around the end of 1999, I was trying to find info on longbows online and found him, of all places, on eee-bay.

I posted a question to the seller and received a simple "call me ###-###-####". I did, and spoke to him a few times before purchasing one of his bows.

The bow came with his home phone number for questions and I used it a number of times until he finally got me going in the right direction. He sent me his getting started video for free.

I kinda regret getting rid of that bow, except for the fact that it went to another fellow who was just getting into trad archery.

Dan

Offline BooneDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
This is my first post on this site.  I just signed up as I'm getting back into traditional archery after a several year absence.  And will have some questions in other areas of the site as I get my gear up to speed.

I knew of Dan's passing, but am surprised and pleased to see such a wonderful tribute to him here.  He deserves it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dan on a few occasions, the most memorable in his shop in Athens when I was interviewing him for Traditional Bowhunter magazine.  I wrote the article "An Interview with Dan Quillian", soon after he returned from his Grizzly Bear hunt in Alaska.  The article was published in the April/May 1994 issue of Traditional Bowhunter.

David Harper

I don't know if anyone cares, but below is the introduction to that article from 1994 that I wrote.  As a tribute to him...
===============================================

His eyes burn with a fire that says, “You don’t want to be my enemy.”  The discussion has turned to anti-hunters and what they are trying to do to his sport.  The man that only a few moments before had been quietly explaining the importance of arrow spine and joking with customers was now stern and deathly serious.  This man definitely has two sides.

Meet Dan Quillian, the owner and operator of Archery Traditions in Athens, Georgia.  Involved in archery for over 40 years, Mr. Quillian has accomplished many things in the world of bowhunting.  He was a key player in getting the first archery season approved for a southern state and he has been involved in defending that archery season on more than one occasion.  Dan was there to help start the Georgia Bowhunters Association and he was one of the front runners in the revival of traditional archery.  He recently bagged a record book grizzly bear from the ground with his longbow, and the list goes on.

Dan loves his sport of bowhunting.  He is a happy man to see the smile across an archer’s face after releasing an arrow from one of his bows.  He also loves to teach.  It seems as though every question asked of him in this interview ended in a lesson on archery instruction, equipment selection or hunting know how.

Many traditional archers and bowyers possess these qualities.  In the world of traditional archery, this is normal—countless bowyers will talk for hours about archery, or give instruction to anyone who will ask.  Dan is no different in that respect.  The quality that separates Dan Quillian from so many is his drive to fight for what he believes in.  It’s not enough to just want an archery season, to just wish the anti-hunters would change their views, to just hope no controversial subjects will arise to be bothered with.

Dan takes an active role.  He plays the politics necessary to get a bow season in place.  He writes articles and letters and attends meetings to battle those that would take away his sport.  He sidesteps no issue that will make bowhunting a better sport.  People like him have made our sport what it is today and people like him will continue to protect it.  He is one of the few individuals who contributes to our sport on every level.
================================================
Happy hunting Dan Quillian.

Offline Jimmy Pitts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
I met Dan way back in 1990. I saw his name listed in a Traditional Bowhunter magazine and called him to ask about an old bow I'd found. He and DD had just got back from Africa. DD showed me a piece of back bone with a broadhead enbedded in it from his 90# longhunter longbow. I bought one of his red elm longhunters and still have it and shoot it. I used to show up at the shop every week to shoot with the guys there. I remember when I was coaching the 4H archery team, Dan not only gave us one night a week we could gather for practise,free of charge, but he cut the parents deals on all the equipment their kids needed to compete. Then, to boot, he had two young men working for him that were top competitors themselves and they pitched in to help coach. One of my shooters actually went on to capture the state championship that first year thanks to Dan and George Ryals. He also let us hold NBEF classes there in the shop too. I'll never forget those days or Dan.
I'm a richer man for having known you.
God Bless you DD and family...

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
I met Dan in sometime around 1984-1985 at the Atlanta Buckerama. I thought he was one of the neatest fellas around. Especially since their wasnt much trad archery gear around then. I later ran into him in Elberton Georgia at the Southeastern Championship somewhere around 1999-2000. He was always involved with archery. He will be missed.

John

Online bama

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Nice article about Dan in latest edition of TBH.
I bought one of his "finish it yourself" longbows a hear or so ago and talked to him about it over the phone.  He laughed when I asked him if it was center shot and said it wasn't necessary.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Been thinking a lot about Dan lately, as I prepared my leftover inventory from the Superceder adventure for selling. I've had about 200 dozen stored away since the business closed.

I met Dan in 1988 after a house fire destroyed all of my archery equipment (along with everything else). I had been shooting a compound for about 10 years, which I never really liked, and had decided on a take-down recurve that I saw in one of Dan's ads. I found that Dan wasn't too far away, so I drove up to his house to look at his recurve. He was still working from his home then, and what a sight! He had a pile, literally, of longbows and recurves in the middle of the living room floor, from which he commenced to pull out a Longhunter for me to try. We went out beside his house, and I was hooked.

Dan found out I knew something about wood, and began to talk to me about the need for a new arrow wood, which would be stronger than the POC that dominated the market, that would be strong enough for modern laminated high-poundage bows. Again I was hooked, and a couple of years later marketed the Superceder shafts. Dan was my mentor as well as sales manager, even though I had been shooting for 30 years before I met him. He taught me more about archery in the first year than I'd been able to figure out for myself in all that time. My life was totally changed, for the better, from the first day I met him. All those stories are true, and then some. I could go on for days, like the time my brother, who has also passed, and I went to Athens for a visit, and he invited us to stay in his Airstream. We were about to move in when he remarked offhandedly that he hadn't yet found the copperhead that had escaped in the trailer, but not to worry- copperheads aren't that aggressive.

I made several trips with Dan, and each one was a trip indeed! He refused to stay in a hotel, always traveling with his trailer. When we did the archery trade show in Indianapolis, I woke up one morning to see a snowdrift next to my bed, from the door that didn't close tightly. Nothing fazed him- he would wear the same clothes for days at shoots, never backed up from a confrontation, always had an opinion, and was nearly always right. I loved him deeply, and am greatly saddened at the world's loss. He lived and breathed archery, and knew it inside and out. He raised a fine family, too, and his wife Sue must have been a saint! She was always gracious and a lady, in spite of Dan's excesses.

I tried several times to get Dan to write an autobiography, and I still regret not trying harder. He lived life to a degree that most of us can only imagine. As a youngster he raised birds and animals, had pet owls that he would ride on his bicycle handlebars to the outskirts of town and use to call in crows, which he shot and put in the freezer to feed the owls! He knew more about snakes than any professional herpetologist, and once had the feds try to put a sting on him to catch an endangered indigo. He saw right through it. He was a king-hell mutant of the kind that only comes about once in a century, and I surely do miss him.

Don Stokes
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Scott Campanaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Dan helped me select my 1st Longbow - and Quillian Bamboo Longhunter - and 21 years later I am still hunting with it (it is Punday). Dan took a lot of time to help me get the right bow and I will always have fond memories of the several conversations we had re: my bow and 2 dozen arrow he made for me... Dan got me started with Grizzly Broadheads too.

I will be thankful for all your help... Thanks Dan... until we meet in the Celestial Hunting Grounds - Your man in Westsylvania... Scott
The Price of Freedom is the willingness to engage in sudden battle anywhere, anytime, with anyone, and to do so with absolute ferocity and without quarter.

(inspired by Robert A. Heinlein 1907-1988)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Id love to read more stories about Dan. Does his family still make his bows? I wish I had Lefty Dan had made. Love to read more... marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©