INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Imported Black Hunter Longbows/Recurves  (Read 18032 times)

Offline SteveC

• Trad Bowhunter
Imported Black Hunter Longbows/Recurves
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:43 AM »
Anybody have any real world experience with these bows? Smooth of draw, speed, quietness, overall performance, etc?

GCook

Re: Imported Black Hunter Longbows/Recurves
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
I have a 60lb longbow.  I liked it the few shots I've taken.  Relatively quiet and shock free.  I expect it to be even better when I get the new arrows and a quality string for it.  The palm swell is a bit big for me and I will work on sanding it down to get a more pleasing grip.  The "calf hair" shelf plate adhesive is a joke so be prepared to use something else. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
I have a 45lb longbow that I really enjoy.  It was loud to start but I was getting it all set up.  I changed the string and put on some beaver balls and it quieted right down. Grip fits me good, I have medium sized, kind of pudgy hands.  I didn't use the rest that came with it as I put a Bear Hair rest on it from the start.  My other bow was a Sage so I am comparing two inexpensive models.  For the price I would recommend it for sure.  Only shot it for targets but I will be carrying it when I go out hunting this fall.

Online Bill Leeming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:37 PM »
Have a 40# takedown LB and really like it. Shoots great.

Offline Gcg2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
I have 40# longbow and love it.. Riser pads, cat whiskers and it's pretty quiet shooting 10 to 13 gpp. I've had alot of top end customs and I shoot this one just as good as any. Grips are very important to me and this one is superb in my opinion,  I have medium sized hands and I couldn't be happier.. :shaka:

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »
I have owned a lot of customs, and when I began Jim Casto's TP detox program, I needed a very light draw weight bow so ordered the Galaxy Ember.  I love it and find that usually it is the bow in my hand.  The grip fits me better than any I have had.  The 60" longbow is smooth as can be at my 31" draw.  However, this pig didn't care much for it.  :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SteveC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
Nice pic.
Have any of you used the "calf hair" rest that comes with the Black Hunter longbows/recurves? I know the adhesive qualities are pretty poor, but I have some 3M double sticky stuff that works very well. What I'm wondering is if this "calf hair" looking stuff that comes with the bow is durable and holds up to alot of shooting.

Offline shamus275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
I have the longbow version in 35# and 40#. I didn't care for the palm swell so I spent over a week with the rasp, dremel and sandpaper until I got a good consistent grip on it. Its now almost an exact copy of a Jaeger 2.0 ILF grip. The bow shoots surprisingly fast and stable and I've put SBD skinny string on it. The calf hair and string that come with it are junk so toss those aside.
Bear Takedown
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
My wife shoots the 40 lb black hunter LB from "Mandarin Duck" and loves it. My brother ordered the 50 lb version. Fit and finish is really good. performance is really good. My brothers bow with a 550 gr arrow drawn to 29.5" does 180 fps. I have the same draw and I find it starts to stack at after 28"
My brother did have a failure a week ago. The limb tip let go. A chunk of the tip busted off creating a sharp edge which cut the string. I figured he was out of luck because he was past the warranty but he sent a picture and explained what happen and Mandarin Duck sent him a new set of limbs without question.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
I have several of them, all longbow limbs from 30# to 44#. Some limbs with maple lams and some with bamboo, can’t tell the difference. Absolutely love the grip, best I’ve had in a long time. Am going to sell all of my recurves and other TD longbows.

Are they the fastest, no but no slouches. Are they smooth and stable, yes among the best. And with that yummy palm swell grip, every shot is the same as the last, smooth, stable, and accurate.

Regarding rest material what comes with it is junk. I use hair rest and shelf plate and make sure the side plate is a thick one. With these handles cut past center I need to bring my arrow out some to hit where I’m looking.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
Yes, I have the LB, I also have a Silvertip recurve that I haven't shot in almost a year because of it, that ought to say a little bit about the bow. I filled five of six deer tags this past season, all with the Galaxy Ember, all off the ground. They are ridiculously inexpensive so the risk is small, just buy one and try it, get the bamboo limbs.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
I bought one and the limb folded in half right after it was shot for the first time.  Junk as far as I'm concerned....

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »
Did you contact them for a replacement or just toss it in a corner and be mad?

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »
Failures happen, I had a very expensive custom blow up on the fourth shot once, no need to mention the brand but they are up there high enough that they don't even advertise. One phone call and it was sent back for a new set of limbs and returned surprisingly quick. So if a $2K bow can blow, so can a $198 bow and neither be junk.

Offline bigun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »
 I have the longbow at 45#, used the material that came with it for shelf & strike plate & have not had any issues with it. I shoot it a lot just target & a little stumping, all with 1916s @ 293/8" 125 points, put my boa quiver on it & it didn't change point of impact any. have had bows in the past that it would change impact a bunch.
  it has proved to be a very good bow for the money spent, fit & finish can always be made better with a little sand paper & a spray can of finish. seriously considering buying a couple more to put back to have just in case.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©