INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk pack list.....  (Read 28689 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk pack list.....
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:13 AM »
As I learn the new gear I will post up what I think of it and pics. My buying has been either based on talking with guys that actually spend time in the backcountry or watching YouTube then reviews of the actual product. I try to keep it as simple as possible but also don’t mind some extra weight for comfort or safety either. My back ain’t as young as it once was..

I’m no expert and don’t claim to be either , I generally spend 20-30 days a year living out of my pack in the mountains hunting. And this year will be my 7th elk hunt , each time my gear is a little better. So that said I will give my opinion on this stuff the best I can..

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
The first aid kits on these lists seem to be an after thought. I would encourage you guys to research and learn more even if it is not the funnest of gear talk. This video is a good place to start.

Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »
That bow sure is a beauty Sam! Good luck out there and we'll be looking for the success story. Take care, be safe and shoot straight! :campfire: :thumbsup:

PS: I had 5 cow elk walk right out in front of my son and I on Saturday. They were about 35-40yds. :laugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2018, 05:59:47 PM »

Sam,
   Great looking bow and best of luck on your Elk hunt.
  Looking at your pack list the only thing I see missing is a knife.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »
As for knives I always have a Leatherman and a sharpener on my hip , knife in my pack is a cheap Mora. I love the Mora knives and at $14 price range they are hard to beat. Found a Mora knockoff for $3 and have been very happy with them in fact I bought a dozen of them , sharpen easy and hold a good edge.

Bought new boots yesterday , I bought the Cabelas/Meindl. Looking at reviews and shopping around I chose these. $300 and a guarantee that is hard to beat sold me. Got home with them and did 4 miles with a 60lb pack and the new boots and am very happy. It was 102 degrees here yesterday so it was a little on the warm side. Boots did great no rubbing or hot spots on my feet , no slipping , fit is great and good traction. Very happy with them for the first walk....

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
Gotta love them Mora's, cheap, light weight and sharp as,  "get outta here".  Great looking bow you got there.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »
Great looking bow and arrow selection. Your equipment selection is 1st class. What broadheads are you using? I've had good luck with Grizzy and Wensel Woodsmens broadheads.
What have you been using for stove and cook gear?

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
It’s is a great looking bow for sure , South sent it to me as a gift and I was shocked at the beauty of it when I opened the box. I will be shooting SureWood shafts of my own make with CutThroats up front ( haven’t got them yet but have heard nothing but good ). I have killed elk with a Woodsman , Magnus 1 , Zwickey , BearRazorhead and all did very well. Going this year with longbow and wood so I figured a new broadhead also.

I have been using a jetboil for the last few hunts and have been happy with it..

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »
Not much in the way of cook gear , the big cup of the jetboil , small metal cup , and just bought some plastic type plate , Bowl and cup. They fold out flat and snap up into shape , pretty cool and don’t weigh nothing. I take foil for cooking fish , and have a few different water bottles...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »
Sam, I think you'll love the Meindl's. I've been wearing the Denali model for about 12 years and they are the best all around boot I've had on my foot period. The serrated blade on those leatherman is amazing on elk hide. Most people never use it, I wont go out without one. I've also been upgrading gear this year. Went to a warbonnet hammock and tarp. have to see how that goes. Like you said the old back ain't getting any stronger. Gotta lighten up the load.

Good luck on your hunt.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
Yes sir I do like these boots...

I always have a leatherman on my belt unless I’m sleeping and have cleaned many critters with one. And also always carry a cheap little pocket knife also
Just a little $4 job that I have been very impressed with. The mora knives are my go to pack knife but the $3 knock-off knife is just as good...

I use a hammock on short trips and do like it but don’t think I could do it for 3-4 weeks on an elk hunt. I really like my teepee GoLight tent I can stand and dress and have room inside for me and all my gear. They are out of business now but found one that looks just like it for $150 new, prob going to buy it and see if it’s same tent..

Been working out hard and getting the bow shot in...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »
Good luck on the Elk hunt Sam.  My buddy & I didn't get picked to hunt in NM,  but hay...theirs always next year.   :pray:

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:11 AM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
I like your target Sam

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
Sam I’ve been busting my butt too. Lost 25# and feeling good.  Ready to go. My brother and I built an elk like that out of plywood with the vitals cut out and card board behind it. Really realistic.  Made you tighten up a bit.  It sucks pulling arrows out of the plywood. Good luck.  Maybe we’ll cross paths somewhere?

John

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
I’m getting more eat up everyday , on my off days this week I will be recoating my tent and going over gear again. Trying new gear out on a short hog hunt and training in the 100 degree weather we are having.

Those two elk targets are made from big sheets of corogated plastic and spray painted. Have them set up in my yard one is in the open and the other in the trees. Both I can shoot at night when it’s cooler , the guard light hits them enough so it like shooting at dusk and dawn.

I hope my hunting area starts getting some rain...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
Tested out the new Stalker longbow yesterday and the Alaska Guide Creations bino harness on a short pig hunt. The bow is ready now that it has some blood under it’s fingernails. I really like the bino harness also , wasn’t sure at first but after using it in the field I wish I would have got one years ago. I thought it would get in the way while shooting but everything clears great. I like all the pockets it has also seems to keep certain things handy. Also I like how it protects my binos cause I tend to plow through stuff. Only thing left is to get my new pack so I can get it broke-in....

,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2018, 06:28:12 PM »
Might have missed it, but what pack did you get Sam?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©