INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk pack list.....  (Read 28685 times)

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk pack list.....
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Trying to post pictures here is impossible.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 11:09:57 PM »
With Tapatalk I've found it to be much easier than the old methods. 
Trying to post pictures here is impossible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
Been awhile since I’ve been here.  I’m doing my second CO hunt this September.  I’ll be packing in with two buddies.  Following this thread closely.  I have most of my gear but still have a couple things to get yet.

I’m using a Kuiu 7200 Icon pack.  My shelter is a Luxe gear Mini peak w/ one person nest.  Bag is a 15 degree synthetic....nothing special.  I still need a pad, small cook set for my stove and my water filtration system.  Since I’m flying in to Denver, I guess I have to take a t/d so it’ll probably be my 64# Bear.  I wish I could take my Mohawk but it’s most likely not worth the hassle.  The plan is to carry my Palmer quiver since it would eliminate an arrow tube.  Now I’m trying to find/make a two arrow holder for the quiver attatchment on my riser.  Any ideas?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Been awhile since I’ve been here.  I’m doing my second CO hunt this September.  I’ll be packing in with two buddies.  Following this thread closely.  I have most of my gear but still have a couple things to get yet.

I’m using a Kuiu 7200 Icon pack.  My shelter is a Luxe gear Mini peak w/ one person nest.  Bag is a 15 degree synthetic....nothing special.  I still need a pad, small cook set for my stove and my water filtration system.  Since I’m flying in to Denver, I guess I have to take a t/d so it’ll probably be my 64# Bear.  I wish I could take my Mohawk but it’s most likely not worth the hassle.  The plan is to carry my Palmer quiver since it would eliminate an arrow tube.  Now I’m trying to find/make a two arrow holder for the quiver attatchment on my riser.  Any ideas?
Eagle Flight makes some two arrow options for the riser mounts. I think they make a single one as well. What pad are you thinking of getting?

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:55 PM »
What are you all using for a stove-cook set?
I have used several different set ups to cook or warm foods. I have used a Tragia alcohol stove and pot combo that starts off light but uses a lot of fuel at high elevations. Switched to a  Snow Peak Trek 700 pot and giga stove which is light and works great, but the empty cannisters still must be hauled out. My current set up is a Esbit 585 lt pot and stove/stand that uses solid fuel. It takes awhile to boil water, but add a few sticks to boost the BTUs. The fuel tabs weight only a 1/2 oz. This is my lightest solo cooking set up. When hunting with a buddy we usually take his Jet Boil and let him carry it.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »
I've got a couple of different set ups for cooking.  Soto Windmaster with an XTS pot is what I use now.  I don't have the patience for fuel tabs or alcohol stoves,  and early season here they frown on you using any kind of fuel like that.  Too dry.  Even canister stoves make me nervous when it's been as dry as it has been the past couple of years.  Last year was a bad fire season,  and we had the most moisture ever the winter before. This year was a dry winter... it doesn't look good for fire season.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »
My last two elk trips I have used a jet-boil and it has been fine. For cook set all I have is the jet-boil cup and a light metal coffee cup and that’s all I use along with foil for wrapping fish. I did order a light weight plate , bowl , cup set that is some kind of plastic and is flat and you fold them up and snaps together....

Just got a few new Takedown Longbows and just found out I’m about to get another as a gift from a bowyer friend also. So now I need to figure out what longbow I’m taking. Will for sure be wood arrows , made up a set of heavy cedar and a set of Dug-Fir also to start playing with...

My new diet is going good and I already feel better and have dropped about 5-lbs in 10 days. Been running in the mornings and will start lifting at night and also walking and hiking with my loaded pack also..

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
I picked up a Solo Stove Titan this winter and have been playing with it on day hikes to cook lunch.  Seams to work pretty good but have not had it out in extended wet weather.  Appears to work as well as my old MSR white gas stove for heating water and has the advantage of being able to roast the fresh trout over a wood fire.  It is a little time consuming to gather dry sticks and requires more attention when cooking.

Has anyone had one on a long pack trip and what did you think?  I think this may be a good choice for a pack in trip.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:28:11 PM by last arrow »
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
Our group(4) got drawn for a Colorado elk bow tag. Can't wait for our September DIY bowhunt.
Need to step up my training and gear selections.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
Start getting ready as fast as you can , it is getting closer by the day...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
One thing I would recommend,  get to your hunting location a couple days early to get acclimated.  Drink lots and lots of water leading up to the hunt.  I hope you've been training already because you're getting close to season to start a training regimen. It can be done,  but you'll have to be strict with maintaining it.  Heck,  I live at about 5k feet and the first days still make me hurt at elevation.
Our group(4) got drawn for a Colorado elk bow tag. Can't wait for our September DIY bowhunt.
Need to step up my training and gear selections.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
As for the gear,  that's the fun part.  A license to buy more hunting stuff is always nice.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
Not my first elk bow hunt rodeo (9). See my bivy list on page 1, need to rewrite and update minor changes. Some back issues has me with a slow start training for the trip, but shall be ready. :archer2:

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Not my first elk bow hunt rodeo (9). See my bivy list on page 1, need to rewrite and update minor changes. Some back issues has me with a slow start training for the trip, but shall be ready. :archer2:
Your bivy list doesn't show up on my end

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »

[/quote]Your bivy list doesn't show up on my end

Bivy list on page one reply #20, maybe shows up on old school computers.
Xcell List was very difficult to post had to take picture and crop to size. I have no problem posting pictures to other web sites, just this one.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »

Your bivy list doesn't show up on my end

Bivy list on page one reply #20, maybe shows up on old school computers.
Xcell List was very difficult to post had to take picture and crop to size. I have no problem posting pictures to other web sites, just this one.
[/quote]When I first looked after I found it and read across from your knife I was like 47.52oz for a knife? You need a new knife lol.  Then the brain caught up with the eyes!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
I just scored a GREAT deal on a brand new Big Agnes Encampment 15!

Now I gotta save pennies to get that Qcore sleeping pad. Those of you with this gear... is the inflation device a necessity?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
Will any pad work under the BA Encampment 15 as long as it is 20 inches wide? I would like to hear from the guys who have this sleeping bag. Im looking forward to trying it out.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »
Not sure about the encampment,  but I had a Storm King that I used an Xtherm under. It's a 20" pad

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »
I have a BA Lost Ranger bag that is similar to your bag. I've used a BA IAC pad, or a Ridgerest, or a Thermarest on occasions. Use a rectangle or taper pad 20" wide and 72" long or less. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©