INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Compensation and Pension  (Read 3961 times)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Compensation and Pension
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Today at 1300 I have an appointment with the C&P Doc....
    They want further proof, I have no contact what so ever with anybody I served with, For Gods sake it's been 37 years since I left the crotch.
    All the Psych's I have talked to agree and tell you what you want to hear, But don't put anything in writing....
    In the 70's at Camp pen Psych ward they said I was Skitzs zoid and capable of uncontrolled violence with out being provoked.
    Recent Doc said I had intermitting explosive disorder.
    I think I'll just go off on this Doc and se what he thinks....
    Sorry for the rant....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Compensation and Pension
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Be careful, O wants to take weapons away from vets. Probably good that they don't put it in writing.  I went
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Be careful, O wants to take weapons away from vets. Probably good that they don't put it in writing.  I went to the VA a few months ago for the first time and they wrote me up for 2 different disabilities.  Great timing...I've only been out for 42 years.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Redfish, at least your getting the help which is more than I can say for many of us. They think that because it has been 46 years ago it is ancient history and therefore ignore it. It is a shame that  as vets we can't create an integrated national vet organization and file as nationwide class action suit against the VA. In 1970 I was approved for service connected outpatient dental care and received that care while I was a graduate student at CMSU. It took Senator Eagleton of Missouri to get the VA to provide that care. I have tried for the past 40 years to pay for my own dental care because at that time I was in a position to do so. Now, when I need the help I can't get the VA to provide it. Teeth like any other health issue is a continuing problem for me and requires constant dental monitoring and treatment and the approval I received in 1970 should stand as a service connected health issue that is still owed me. Pardon my rant but for 46 years I have never felt like a vet and I am still not sure where home is or where my country went.
Thanks for listening.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, there hasn't been any help yet.  They just filled out the forms and she said it would be between 3 and 8 months before they would contact me for an evaluation.  Sure not holding my breath.
Before I retired I was able to cover the costs myself and didn't want the hassle of dealing with the VA.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
I found out the hard way if you relie on VA you will not get all the help with compensation hearings you need. I went to Purple Heart Assoc. Now Mike G., my bud up in Redding got his help from DAV. Do not know if you are up that way but if you are not happy with eval it might be worth your time to check them out.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Ok thanks Tom.
    It's just a little over 30 days since my Evail, Still waiting as usual.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Took them about 4 weeks to answer, I got 100% after 40 something months.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Good deal Mike.  I still haven't heard anything on an appointment for my evaluation...since November.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Well, an update. Got a letter for evaluation about the end of March. Got the testing and evaluation done and got a letter in the mail last week that VA approved the disability. Even though I was medically discharged I never attempted to get disability and generally avoided contact with VA. I figured that I fared a lot better than others.
The only way I got it was when I was losing private insurance and going on Medicare I went to VA to get an ID in case I ever had to go there. The lady recognized that I had a problem and after looking at my DD214 she sent me directly to the disability lady.  I had no idea.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Good to hear Redfish.
    It pays not to give up.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 05:23:00 AM »
Redfish, I'm glad for you.  No harm in a little communication and a few questions with the VA.
Good luck.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
Good job mike G and redfish.  It took me two and half years using a very good DAV rep but now that I have my card they treat me very nice.

I joined the DAV as the magazine has a lot of good info in it that you may not get everywhere. Like all the cancers we can get because of being stationed at LeJuene and Viet Nam.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Mike g, glad to hear you got 100%. Is it permanent or subject to review? I had a second eval after 5 years, now have permanent status. Was supposed to be 3 years but they are always backed up. Usually if you were wounded the rating is permanent from day one.
Semper Fi, Tom M

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
The DAV is the way to go dont waste time with the VA. They will tell you what you need and how to get it and do the paperwork for you.
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »
I have to say this about the VA. I didn't intend on even applying for disability or anything. I just wanted to get a new card because my old one was blue paper and about disintegrated after 42 years.
When I went in the VA lady at the desk noticed that I had a problem. When she took one look at my DD214 and sent me directly to another VA lady that asked some questions and filled out an application for disability for me. She said that it could be 3 to 8 months before I heard anything.
Months later I got a notice for evaluation and got it done, still not expecting anything.
Long story short, the VA has done all of this without any pressure from me or anyone else.
From my personal experience I can't complain about the VA. This was at the outpatient clinic in Conroe, TX.
Some of you can relate to this. When I got out in the early 70s, I wanted as little to do with the Army or VA as possible, so I just went my way and avoided contact with them. Considering the times and my MOS, I considered myself lucky to get out with all fingers and toes...and still do.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
M60gunner.
    I got Permanet, No further evals....
Me and the new wife just went and got our pink ID cards, So we can go to the Px and commissary.

What get's me riled up is all the Bennie's your supposed to get being 100% that no one tells you about until it's too late....

I found out about the Pink ID by hearsay and I just found out you get a discount on your Automobile registration....

With the VA, It all depends on if your lucky enough to get a worker who gives a crap our not.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Mike, you also can get a discount on hunting and fishing license in Ca. Also a state park pass that gets you free parking and camp sites on available bases. Even a tax break from state if your income is below a certain amount.
I did a search for Ca. Veteran benefits. The way I found out. I also keep the VA website as a fav. Here in Az. a little different, free hunting and fishing license, just pay for tags. Car license not free but reduced.
Use the VA when you made need stuff like hearing aids, wheelchair, etc. my father in law got real expensive hearing aids for nothing, just need to get a prescription from your doctor.
Dealing with the gov is an experience, no, they are not proactive so you must be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©