INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Anybody struggling with PTSD?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody struggling with PTSD?
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
I am reaching out to my fellow veterans with the above question.

I am currently a firefighter/paramedic.  I have been at my current department for 15 yrs.  I have a friend and former Captain on the department that was recently denied a line-of-duty pension.  He is struggling with PTSD.

He was denied on the basis that he didn't have all the signs and symptoms of PTSD.

My question is what can I do to help him?  He's in therapy, taking medications, but I just am wondering what can I do?  What does he need from a friend?  I'm not looking to "cure" him, just support him.

It's difficult because sometimes I just don't know what to say.  Our one strong common bond was work and he doesn't want to hear about it anymore.  I get it but it makes for some quiet moments.

If anyone can give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it.  I just hate to see this man struggle like he does.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody struggling with PTSD?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:13:00 AM »
Was his interview conducted by a physiological doc or a board? How long was his interview, anything less than 1 hr. Is not fair to him. it takes a while with people that have deep depression to show it. They usually put up a facade to others to help them coup.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Thank you for responding M60.  The kicker is he was interviewed by 6 different psychologists.  5 of which the village and pension board chose.  5 out of the 6 doctors said he had PTSD but that with time he could overcome it and return to work.

He is going to appeal his ruling.  In the meantime I'm trying to make myself available to him so when he reaches out I'm there to listen/support him.  He has his good days and bad.  Seems mostly good.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
An appeal can take 5 years....I know, I'm waiting on mine.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©