INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Unplanned Turkey  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Deerchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Unplanned Turkey
« on: October 02, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »
First chance I had out(10/2) and only seen 2 does. On the way back through the timber noticed a flock of turkeys feeding my way. Long story short, was wearing my homemade gille and they got close enough for me to arrow this young tasty bird at 7 yards. Least I know the suit works!

Roger...

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unplanned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
Nice goin Roger! Great shooting!
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 11:21:00 PM »
Only half dozen turkeys with a bow!! Heck that make ya an old pro Dude!! Congrats!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »
Way to go Roger.....Since you've taken a half dozen more turkeys with the bow than I have, I qualify you as an expert.....Where do you like to hit'em with an arrow?
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »
Ya, I would say you have turkey hunting down pat.  Congratulations!  I am still working on getting my first bow killed turkey.  I have shot all of mine with .22's.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Deerchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
Wally, Haven't got the best answer for that. I've had 2 fly over 75 yards after a complete pass-through and another with an arrow stuck in him. I've used adders behind my broadheads and they really to a number on the insides of those turkeys but they're really tuff birds. I've had the best luck with avoiding a side shot and just putting an arrow straight on from the back or front to break the back and running gear down. As I said I'm still learning and drawing on those birds isn't always easy. They move alot and there's always a bunch of eyes looking at everything than moves. By the way, shot my first one years ago from a popup blind. Will never do that again. I lost so much of the enjoyment by being locked up in a tiny black spot looking out a hole. Reminds me now of so many of the hunting shows shooting from a fiberglass treehouse over a baited field at fenced deer. Sorry I rambled on, it's the old man in me!
Roger...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©