INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***  (Read 33296 times)

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: *** Daily Hunt Stories and Pics 2009 ***
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Bloodied my new Schafer Silvertip. First time in about ten years since I started hunting this early in the season. I usually wait until November when it turns cooler since I hunt with bow throughout rifle season.

A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
Heck of a buck buddy    :notworthy:  

Congrats    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
NICE BUCK!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Nice deer!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."

Offline shakey slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
not smart enough for good coment.
 hunt eat repeat / bow work of wonder , arrow work of god.
i never regretted a day in the woods/ a hippie taught me to hunt

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I gotta start remembering to take the camera, just in case.

I left work at 3:00 and was at my hunting location by 3:30, thanks to a nice straight shot road to get there. It was kinda warm (upper 50's) I put my boots on, slipped into the bibs and put on my brown/black plaid shirt, strung the bow, donned the side stalker quiver and binos, grabbed my new thick seat cushion, and off to the woods. Arrived at my natural ground blind and settled in on my new cushion. I sit on a 7 gallon bucket with a swivel seat lid. There was a favorable breeze in my face.

I spent the first 1-1/2 hours watching squirrels and woodpeckers and such. At some point, I got one of those "you should probably look over here" feelings and lifted my binos to scan the tree line at the other end of my honey hole, about 125 yards away. Nothing at first, but then up from the ravine walks a nice doe. I yearling, but a nice, blocky, fat looking yearling. I have a combo tag, so if she comes my way, I'll fling an arrow. She decides to stay under the big osage and feed on a mashed up hedgeapple. If you want to see something funny, watch a squirrel try to carry one of those off.

I decide to have a little fun, so I grunt at her several times with my tru talker. She looks up each time, but never comes my way. Finally, a hedgeapple falls right behind her and sends her running. She comes back several times. She wanders back down the hill, out of sight and I see nothing special for about a half hour, then she comes back with a mature doe in tow. I note that the deer are all looking really big and healthy this year. The big doe is the size of a nice buck. They feed for awhile, then something sends the big doe packing. I raise the binos again and up walks a buck I saw last year that I want out of the herd. He has a tall, narrow 6, possibly 7 point rack, but he's a brute otherwise. I'll definitely take him if he moves in. They are content to feed on the hedgeapples, as is the fat red fox squirrel about 30 yards away from me. The big doe comes back.

They stay under the big osage, so I decide to try grunting again, because I got maybe a half hour of legal shooting light left. At first, the buck could care less. The yearling keeps prancing around playfully, like she's 4 months old again. Not sure what her deal is. I then decide to pinch the call down and go for more of a doe sound; that "calling to my fawns" sound. A couple of those and he's decided he better come on over and see what's going on. He starts walking to me on a string. I know he can't see me yet, and I definitely know he's not smelling me. He gets to about 50 yards upwind of me and both does take off running for some reason. He looks their way, then continues to me. He gets another 10 yards closer. My heart is pounding by now, and I'm feeling the string on my bow. Then one of those does starts making a big rukus in the tree line like they're wrestling back there or something. I can't see what she's doing, but the buck takes note and looks her direction. I softly grunt again and he looks back my way, then back towards her, lowers his head and slinks on off into the tree line. ($#@&%!) I think to myself. Next thing you know, the yearling pops out of the trees, runs in a big circle, then runs back in the trees. All is quiet again, then all 3 come barreling back through like their tails are on fire. I sit there wondering what is got them so spooked, then off in the distance, I hear a 4 wheeler start up, then another, then I hear two teenagers hollering back and forth on the neigboring property as they're loading up, talking about where they're going tomorrow.

To top it all off, I left my new seat cushion in the tractor shed where I park. I hope it's still there today when I go look for it. Oh well... there's always next time! I believe I'll be closer to that osage tree then.
 :archer:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Got my first deer with a longbow. Im shooting a Bear Montana 45lbs. 1916 xx75 arrows, magnus buzz cut in 125gr. Deer was taken in the evening. Had 2 does come in, this one stopped 8yds quartering away. I was 16ft up a tree. I got nervous and didnt "pick a spot". I staired at the chest and ended up hitting a bit further back then I would have liked. Deer went about 150yds. I waited 2hrs and in the first 50yds found stomach matter in the blood. I backed out and waited till 5am to pursue her. The blood was dark/watery at first, then mainly bright red. She bedded down one time, which is where she expired. I dont know who was more excited, me or my family.

I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Kenn-
Good job! Handled it just as you should. Congrats!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Atta boy, Kenn!
I told you it was just a matter of time   :D
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
That waiting over night is hard to do but it pays off.  Good job.  Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: November 01, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Nice shooting!  :thumbsup:

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Forgot to post this here a while back.

Killed 10/11 @10yds(9 and a half steps actually) with a Black Widow PSA II 56@28(drawn 30) with 31" chundoo shafts and a 125 glue on Snuffer.  That equals bad medicine for the doe.

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

11/07/2009 Illinois buck taken with a Bob Lee recurve 53#@27" and carbon vapor shafts with 100 grain brass inserts and a green bear razorhead at 6:28 central time.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Saturday 11-7-09 5:30 pm......the shot was 25 yards.He went about 50 yards before he expired.He weighed 182lbs field dressed

bighorn recurve...zwicky eskimo broadhead
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Dang guys, awesome job!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
1st deer with my Fedora.  For various reasons, I have not had a shot at a deer for quite some time.  It all came together tonight.  see my post in powwow, turkey talisman.  I had wanted this posted here on daily hunt pics but put it in the wrong spot.  Sorry for any confusion.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Great Job!!  Nice bucks.
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Nice Job to everyone!
You get what you get.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
WOW, Those are some great deer!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©