INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Takedown Recurve Build Along - H.S. Shop Class **Updated 12/20**  (Read 13356 times)

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Takedown Recurve Build Along - H.S. Shop Class **Updated 12/20**
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 06:04:00 AM »
Very cool. Thanks for posting this.  :thumbsup:
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »
Good on ya!  And those in your administration that allow this!!  Please pass that on.

You should take this "on the road".  Want a job in OK?  Better yet, got an opening in your school?  I could work for you!

I'm not sure we could get this in our schools, but we could get it into our Scouting program.  Would you have more detail by chance?  Material list, step-by-step "how to" checklist, etc., more safety considerations for the kids, jig info., etc.

Dingus

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »
Super cool and way to go Coach, might have paid more attention in shop class had you been the teacher!!!
I give it 2 thumbs up....WAYYYY up. BD

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 08:21:00 AM »
Please let your student know we're really enjoying this and can't wait to see the finished product.
Also please congratulate your principal and school admin - my hat's off to them for following common sense and supporting you.
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »
What the Doc said.  I am going to show this to my hunting partner...who is also a 20 year H.S. woods teacher and a traditional hunter.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
Excellent.  Following with interest.  Have never seen the process for a laminated bow.  Interesting stuff and glad to see that you are bringing kids along.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Great Job!! Our shop class is also working on building bows following the Fred Bear and Bear Archery display I did back in Sept/Oct for our H.S Library. I saw UPS delivering the boxes from Bingham a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to check today in the library and see if the books I donated are seeing any action. It is good to be from a "common sense" based area! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
Outstanding!  It's good to see this in public schools, any schools for that matter.  A big THANK YOU to you and the school administration for doing this.

Offline Yance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
very cool buildalong
Yes I am a Pirate, 300 years to late, cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder...

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
** Wednesday Update **

Today, we got all set up and laminated the second limb for my students takedown.  Here are some pics.

Covering the outside of the glass with painter's tape to protect the finish and measuring and marking a centerline on each piece of glass.  This is done to ensure that the limb bolts are installed properly.

Putting all of the laminations in the heat box for an hour to get them ready to laminate.

Applying the Smooth-On epoxy to the the laminations.  

Laying up the laminations in the proper order.  We have used two pieces of glass, 1 tapered lamination and a parallel laminations with a wedge.  You must be careful and make sure that you lay these up in the correct order.  

The second limb fresh out of the heat box.  We wil let it cool to room tempature before we remove the pressure from the hose and take it out of the form.  
Probably not going to be anymore pics for the day.  It is a gourgeous day here in West Central Illinois with very little wind and gun season coming in tomorrow.  Therefore, I am heading to the treestand right after school for a couple of hours.  We are not allowed to bowhunt during gun season and I will go nuts if I don't hunt for 5 days straight.  It should be a great day to be in the woods.

I will have another update tomorrow.  
Ron

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
** Thursday Update **
Second Limb out of the mold

Second limb coming out of the mold.

Sanding the excess glue from the limb blank.

Drawing the shape of the limb on the blank.  Next step, to the band saw.

Cutting the limb to shape on the bandsaw.

Both limbs are cut to shape and waiting to be drilled and installed on the riser.

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
** Thursday Update 2 **
Limb locking Hardware Installed.

Tapping the riser to accept the threaded insert that will be used to bolt the limbs to the riser.  The riser is drilled with a 27/64 bit and then the wood is threaded to accept the insert.  A small amount of epoxy is used to hold the insert in the riser.

Installing the threaded insert into the riser.  

Using a mallet to install the index in into the riser.  The index pin is also glued into the riser using epoxy.

A photo of the limb locking hardware after it has been installed in the riser.  The riser is still in a pretty rough stage and will require alot of rasping and sanding before it is finished.  We will soon be installing the limbs and begin the process of tillering the bow.  
My student is hoping to have this bow finished by Christmas break.  He is looking forward to having a few days free to get out in the woods and do some stump shooting.  
Thank you all so much for the encouraging comments and support that you have shown this young man and his project.  He is checking the website every morning to see what you all have to say about his previous day's work.  Again, Thanks!

Ron Edwards

Offline where wolf?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
Great work Ron!  I'm really enjoying this!  I wish my shop classes were this informative.  We only took shop class 'cause it was a blow-off class in our school.  Keep them coming!

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
Very interesting build along, hope you will show us the finished product also. Bue--.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
Great stuff!  I am really enjoying this thread.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

"[heman]"
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
What is the bow length and poundage are you building?
That is going to be a sweet looking bow  :cool:  
Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »
I'm Sorry.  I should have included this information in the beginning of the post.  Somehow I just left it out.  We are building a 58" takedown and are shooting for 50# @ 28.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Awesome!! A few years ago when I was a senior in high school I asked if I could build a selfbow. They let me do it, but I had to sign a waiver. Just tells you which way schools are moving. Pretty soon they won't even let students bring scissors into class. This project is great. Thanks for sharing it with us. Oh, by the way, you should warn your student that this bowbuilding thing can get addicting. God bless, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©