INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Osage Selfbow Buildalong (Updated)  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage Selfbow Buildalong (Updated)
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
Sparky and Dano, that is knot mid limb on the right limb, I'm partial to leaving it right now.  It has a little handshock, but nothing I can't live with.  The handle, because of the knot in it, kinda skewers the way the bow looks, it throws everything out of proportion when you look at it, and the limbs go back and forth, but so far she shoots, so I'll see how it works out.

Jim, are you talking both limbs as far as bending near the handle, or just one?
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
Oh yeah, I'll get one of those levels Jim.  I find it hard to draw and hold the bow at 50lbs and take a photo at the same time, I'm lucky to walk and chew gum at the same time.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Yep, I'd say it's ready to finish then. Kinda hard makin knots bend huh  :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
Nice Dave. It may help your eye to have some horizontal lines on the wall behind your tree. Peg board would work well in that spot.
Nice work Bro!
Post some pics if you decide to go with antler tips and skins.    :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!

Offline Ground Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
Looking sweet David!  Keep up the good work.  I can hardly wait to see the finished product.

I love following these build-alongs.  Some day I need to try to build one.
A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt.
~Fred Bear

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
It looks nice.   You might want to do just a touch on the right from midlimb out.  Maybe 5 scrapes.  Good job.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
I see in the second picture on the wall.

Kids bow - $25
Adult bow - $50
Arrows - $2

Do you take American Express?       "[tunglaff]"
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
I saw that Meat after I posted and have just been waiting for someone to comment on it, figures it would be you.    :D    That was Hunter's idea when I first got into, he calls it

"Bows Business"

Says I can't make bows for anyone unless we charge for it, I think he gets that from his mother.....if I ever make a bow for someone else I can't ever see charging money for it, then it becomes like a job, and I already have one of those, thank you very much.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
Very nice. Congratulations. Jawge

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
I got to the point where I the bow was pretty much done, except for adding the finish.  Before I completely finished the bow I added a Floppy rest and then added antler tips.  I pretty much follow Ferret's directions when adding overlays, except that with antler tips I do most of the shaping prior to glue up, getting the basic shape I want prior to putting them on.  Once I have them glued up I will leave them for about a day, then will finish shaping them and filing string nocks.  Here's where they are at now....

Tomorrow night I will finish these off.  Before I put these on I put my Floppy rest on, a pretty simple process even for me.  For both of these projects I used Tite Bond 2 as my glue.

I will post photos of the final product in a couple of days when it is completely finished.

Thanks,
David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
Hey where'd dat knot in the handle go? LOL

It always amazes me that we can make wood bend like that ...repeatedly. Amazing.

Little too much bend out of the fades, especially that right one in the pic but overall an excellent job David.   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »
Nice job David!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

I agree with Ferret about the bend at the fades, but with knots at midlimb it's gotta bend somewhere, right?!  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©