INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Takedown Recurve Build Along - H.S. Shop Class **Updated 12/20**  (Read 13354 times)

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
I am currently building two takedown recurves with students in my shop class.  We have done this a couple of times before and many students really seem to enjoy the process.  I am going to post a few pics and will continue to update until we are finished.  

Riser block that has been rough cut - Shedua, Osage and Pao Ferro.

Limb materials all laid out and ready to go.  Boacote limbs under clear glass with an osage wedge.

My student applying glue to the laminations and getting ready for the lay up.

Applying the last bit of glue to the wedge and getting ready to go to the form.

Putting the limb in the form.  

All laminations taped down and ready for the pressure strip and hose.

Everything in the form and ready to put the air to it.

My student placing the limb in our heat box and leaving it for the afternoon.  The other limb will go in tomorrow.

I'll keep this updated everyday.  This is such a great project for my students.  We live in a very whitetail rich area of Illinois and everyone of my kids bowhunts.  Hopefully, many will be using traditional equipment next season.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Takedown Recurve Build Along - H.S. Shop Class **Updated 12/20**
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
That is awesome!  It's great to see a public high school that still has enough common sense to allow such things to be built on the property.

I still remember when we did gun-refinishing here in central Michigan in the late 80's, including re-bluing and stock re-finish.

In most towns nowadays, some lawyer or insurance company would have a screaming fit over a "weapon" being built in school.

Are you using a pre-made jig to square up for the holes for the riser inserts, or some other method?

Awesome tutorial, and thank you for sharing!!
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
insttech1,
   We are using a jig that I purchased from Bingham's to drill the holes in the riser blank and the limbs.  It is a very simple process.  

Thanks for the cudos.  It is awesome that our administration and school board has the insight to see the value in such a project and allow us to build bows in shop class.  My principal has aksed me today if he bought the materials could I have a student build him a takedown.  Now that is awesome.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
I wish I could go back to High School with yall good luck! marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
Afternoon Update

Removing the limb from the heat box after 4 hours

Letting the limb cool to room tempature.  It will come out of the form at the end of the day.

Working on the riser while the limb is cooling.  Riser work takes a while with only a rasp and sandpaper to do the job.  As a precaution, I do not let them use a belt sander or drum sander on the riser.  It has been my experience that it is too easy to take off too much wood before you realize that you have gone to far.  Therefore, a rasp and file is the safest way to go.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Wolfcoach:

I thought we had it good in "Southern" IL.  Sounds like you W. Central folks have it OK except ya all are kinda close to "Blo-go-vich and his henchmen.... LOL

Good deal.  Keep em building............
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
** Morning Update **

My student came in early htis morning to remove his limb from the form.  Here are some pics.  I will have another update this afternoon after class.  

Removing the limb blank from the form.  We left it in the form overnight just to make sure that the glue had set completely.

Removing the tape and Saran wrap from the limb blank, along with some of the excess glue that had oozed out of the limb.  

A finished limb blank fresh from the form.  Next step is to lay up the other limb, clean the rest of the excess glue from the blanks and get ready to cut them to shape.

Offline dhm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
Great post. When I was in grade school in the 1970s we made one piece bows from semi-finished kits. I have often wondered whether kids these days had that same opportunity. I still shoot the bow I made way back then and every time I look at that bow it brings back fond memories.It shoots great, by the way. Please keep up the good work.

Offline kcbrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
Man that is just too cool  :bigsmyl:
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
Hey coach the pics are great what kind of camera are you using to take these great pics??? keep em coming..mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
Bayoulongbowman,
Thanks for the recognition of my students work.  He is doing a great job with this project and is very excited.  However, his excitement has not caused him to rush as so often we do.  I am very pleased with his progress.  

You asked bout my camera.  It is a Canon PowerShot G3.  I will keep the pics coming.

Offline wolfcoach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

Sanding the excess glue from the limb blank.

All of the glue must be sanded from the limb before the limb can be cut to the proper shape.

Cutting off excess length of the limb blank.  Getting ready to cut the limb to it's prper shape.  

Cutting the limb tips to the roper taper.  We use a template made from thin plexi glass to layout the limb shape on the bow blank.  Cutting is always done on the waste side of the line and the rest can be sanded to finish.

Sanding down to the finish line on the limb tip.  

Sanding down the limb to ensure a smooth and even taper of the limb on both sides.

Aligning the limb bolt jig and preparing to drill the holes for the limb hardware.  This must be done in a very precise manner.  Everything must be lied up properly to match the riser.

Offline benzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »
Awesome post!!!
I wish I could have done that in shop class.

Offline headknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to join you shop class.
That is my next big project, make a takedown bow.
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
This is an outstanding Post! Thanks for sharing and thanks for teaching our youth.    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
Outstanding!!!

This just goes to show how different things are across Illinois. When I was in high school I was allowed to bring in my bow (complete with broadhead-tipped arrows) for a speach on bowhunting. That same school now suspends students for bringing fingernail clippers to class.

If you were to try that project up here in the Chicago suburbs I guarantee there'd be about fifty hysterical parents complaining about "making weapons in school". Thank God there's still some common sense left in your part of the state.

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Ron
Great post.  We just got a new principal this year so I am going to see what he thinks about my kids building bows in class next semester, although ours will have to be self bows.  The last principal was okay with it but I have yet to ask the new fella.  Thanks for sharing with us and paving the way for the next generation.

Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
One of the best new posts I have seen. It is great to see the kids so involved in such a discipline. Great job with the post and please keep those pics coming...My hat goes off to ya!
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline nick_the_tinkerer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
sweet   :bigsmyl:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Offline Desert Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »
I love your build a long, as well as what you're doing with the kids.  I needed a shop teacher like you.
Thanks,
Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©