INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker  (Read 105202 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker
« Reply #360 on: May 10, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
A lot of folks still talk about trying to hit the "wingbutt" on turkeys. But, a lot of bowhunters have gotten away from doing so for good reason. One is penetration.  A hit directly on this joint will cause major problems with your arrow getting in far enough to do any damage. But the additional problem is that there is hardly anything there to hit on a broadside bird...

This hit a bit further forward than I like to hit them, but as seen by this pic, it was still behind the wingbutt, both entrance and exit....
•      

The result was a shot that barely, I mean barely nicked the front of the lungs.....the reason this bird dies quickly was because the big broadhead when through the neck/breast junction where all the Carotid artery, Jugular vein,trachea enters the body just in front of the heart and lungs...note all the coagulated blood that settled up in the front of the chest cavity...
•      

The broadhead after extraction...
•      

Now,  the million dollar question...."what exactly was inside the "lump"?

What I found was unexpected, well at least the color of it.....

•      

Best I could figure it was some kind of blood sack that formed from the shotgun blast it took, the bleeding obviously was pretty bad, and his body just never absorbed it as it would a smaller injury...
•      

It was firm, and fairly dry but not powdery dry or mushy wet either.....it smelled bad, but not horrible.

Obviously it was taxing on his body...he was only 13+ pounds. Looks like he was lucky we had such a mild winter.

So once again it seems I've killed another "wierd" critter, not sure why, but I seem to do that a lot....but.... how boring would this story have been had he been "just another gobbler"          :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

« Reply #361 on: May 10, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Cool story, Curt!

Congrats again,

Bisch

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: May 11, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Way to go Curt!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
May 16th...

When I went outside Wednesday morning at 4:30am...it was hot, humid, and foggy!  The rain the evening  before and earlier during the night had everything soaked.

I was going to hit a spot where I hadn't been in a while, and I hoped nobody else had either. The plan was to get to a high spot in the middle of the orchard and listen for gobbling...then set-up.

I was on my high spot at 5:00 and I wasn't standing there for 2 minutes when a gobbler cut loose over in the NE corner of the orchard.  I listened to him gobble again to make sure where he was and was off!

I new I wouldn't be able to get to tight because he was roosted in a hilly part of the orchard and in an area where he could possibly see me set up....so I knew I had to hang back a bit.

I found a decent spot in a flatter area of the orchard about 200yds. away and started to set up. While doing so I heard another bird gobble off to the NW pretty far off. So I figured if it didn't work out with this first bird, I might be able to go after this other bird.

I got everything set up and got out of the blind and got as close as I thought I could to the roosted bird to try to draw him around the northern edge of the hedgerow that separated us.

I snuck up behind some good cover withing 100yds. and called softly.....he banged a gobble right back at me!  Game on!

Fast forward 10 minutes....I could tell my plan to draw him around to the north hadn't worked. he had flown down into a field over the property line. He was gobbling steadily though, so I could keep track of where he was while I sat and called once in a while and waited.

From scouting and previous hunts in the orchard, I knew these birds usually head up to the orchard after a while....so I just relaxed and waited.

After another half hr. I started hearing a hen calling from down by where the gobbler was. She was yelping loudly and aggressively, obviously not happy at all with my calling!

She called...I called.....she called....I called...back and forth we went for a few series. Then came a nice surprise....another bird boomed a gobble!  Apparently all this calling had brought in the other bird that I'd heard while setting up.  And he was closer and sounding very hot!

After another 15 minutes it sounded as though the original bird I'd set up on was further away, but this other bird was coming!

After another 10 mins. or so I hadn't heard anything...so I purred and clucked softly....nothing.....

Like gobblers like to do once they commit to coming...I hoped it was the silent approach.

A few minutes went by without any hint of where he might be when I saw movement.....there he was...only 20yds. away!

But he was barely in view and in a spot where I couldn't shoot anyway...

He strutted and drummed for a few minutes without moving. Then another red head came into view right behind him!

I'd only put out 2 hen decoys this morning. Even though it was only half way though our season and I'd normally still have a jake in my set-up. This season was different and the birds seemed to be further along in the breeding cycle so I'd been going with only hens for a week or so.  I've always noticed that gobblers coming into a set with only hens usually take their sweet time getting to the decoys...these two would be no different!

They preened their feathers, pecked some dandelions heads off, the first birds would strutt and drum a bit. But 10 mins. after they showed up they still hadn't moved a step!

A crow flew over and let loose and I was rewarded with a booming, simultaneous gobble from each bird at 20yds!!!  Awesome!!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
Ten minutes later they had moved about 5 yds. closer to the decoys, but they still had about 7-8yds to go before I could even consider a shot.

Again, they just pecked around, preened, the one strutted.....they were still just kinda "hangin out".

Then, about 5 mins. later it seemed they finally either just finally saw the decoys or just decided it was time to go check out the ladies. They started forward......I grabbed Miss Faith out of her holder and readied myself....

Very slowly, and mean very slowly....they walked forward. The lead bird stutting, his "wingman" just staying a step behind.

When they were within 5yds. of the decoys and about 12yds from me, the "wingman" turned around and stood facing back the way they'd just come from....the strutter just stood his ground.

I had a feeling that they were about to head back the way they'd come...hmmm...

So, I leaned over a little on my stool and found that I had a good shot at the strutter, but I'd have to be on the money as it was in a part of the window where a pole and strap formed a small triangle.The shot would also be through a small slot in the tall grass that screened the birds.

Leaning forward,I drew the GT shaft tipped with Chris' 1 1/4" VPA to anchor and released.....

As some of you might remember, I used one of Chris' bh's last year to kill 3 turkeys, and three deer. That BH is headed for the ST. Jude auction.  I thought I'd try to do it again this year with the last of his VPA's that I have. If you remember about a week ago I killed a bird, but missed my first shot that was Chris' broadhead. I needed to make this one count!

.....the arrows seemed to strike right on the money! At impact, he rolled and flapped wildly as he tried to retreat....I faintly remember hearing the other gobbler putting as he ran off....the strutter wouldn't make it far, after about 2 seconds and 10yds he was over the rise, the string stopped, and all was silent! Then, a second later he flapped and rolled wildly again, this time back toward me about 3-4yds, and everything was still and quiet again...was it over?

I held my breath waiting for any more movement or sound as I couldn't see him over the rise, but the only movement that came was from the second bird running in to stand over his partner....
•    
•    
•    

He just stood in the same spot for a minute so I knew it was over, my gobbler had to be dead just over the rise in front of me!

In this picture you can see the grass I shot through and how truly drenched the grass was...
•    

The little triangle part of the window I shot through....
•    

I waited about ten minutes for the bird to finally walk off. Even though I was 99 pecent sure he was dead, since I couldn't see him, I slowly got out of the blind, nocked an arrow on MIss Faith, and started forward....

I only made it 3-4 steps and could see my gobbler was indeed very dead just over that little rise in front of me...

•    
•    

You can see he didn't make it very far at all...
•    
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:00 AM »
He was wet when he came in, and then when he got to rolling and flopping after the shot he got totally soaked....
•  

He's a good bird...
•  
•  
•  

Always nice to have company in the blind...
•  

The arrow took him through the wing and right in front of the thigh on the way in...
•  
•  

Exited right on the thigh on the way out...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Another view of the set-up....
•  

The screen of cover that the gobblers where looking through to see the decoys. I think its better to when they don't get a very clear view of the dekes. I think it keeps them wondering...
•  

Two cut feathers found at the spot of the shot, one cut on the way in(clean quill), and the other cut on the way out(bloody quill)...
•  

Taggin'...
•  

Since the gobbler was so wet when I originally took my pix, I waited a while for him to dry out and went to a different part of the orchard to take a few better pix....
•  
•  

Miss Faith one last time...
•  

It always feels so good when everything comes together and things go just as planned after all the effort....but to do it with Miss Faith and Chris' broadhead makes it so much sweeter....Thanks again for the "company"....

Autopsy later....
Curt } >>--->   

« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Cool deal!

Congrats again, Curt.

Bisch

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
As much as I hate to do it, I know I needed to get Miss Faith packed back up soon to send to Minnesota.

After adding to her "mojo" by taking 2 gobblers with her since she got here in early May....I knew I wanted add just a little more before sending her off.

With the weather forecast for the week, I needed to get on the river this morning.

I left the house and hit the river before sunrise with a single goal in mind....get one fish to add to the Miss Faith "mojo"...anything beyond that would just be a bonus.

It didn't take long...
•  

Miss Faith looking over some prime water...
•  

It wasn't long and I was into another fish..
•  
•  
•  
•  

This was a nice fat fish!
•  

I missed a couple more, and lost two that somehow got off off during the fight.

Then I drove to another spot on the river...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Slower water here, but as i worked the shoreline, I spotted a fish "tailing" up stream right along shore. Tough sneaking in this slow water, but I was just sneaky enough...
•  
•  
•  
•  

As I was untangling line and getting this fish subdued, I saw another fish upstream and I had fish #4...
•  

Another good sneak and I had fish #5...
•  

Looking down stream, working back toward my truck and another fish showed itself. See the subtle ripple and dark spot just to the right of the weeds?
•  

The shot was good...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
And I had fish #6...
•    

I had Miss Faith rigged with an AMS adapter and Retriever reel...
•    
•    

The Fish and Miss Faith...
•    
•    

A great way to "cap off" my time with Miss Faith...
•    

I promise that I treated Miss Faith with more "TLC" than I've ever showed any bowfishing bow in the past...although a little muddy, she's none the worse for wear.

She's cleaned up now and will be headed to Minnesota soon...I'll miss her      :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Good run with  Faith Brother.The Staker bows kinda grow on ya don`t they. I hated to send Hope off after I had her.Sweet bows and a heck of a good donation for the kids.RC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
You bet buddy wasn't long before I was pretty attached to her!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
You fellas have that right ... sweet shoot'n bows !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I knew about Curts kills...since he called me...but missed Ken's..

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just too cool.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I feel so fortunate to have won Faith in the St. Jude auction.  I am patiently awaiting her arrival.  Planning to print this thread off and stick in the case with her for my kids.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Ken, I sent the arrow that I killed the first gobbler with Miss Faith. Enjoy her!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Wow!  Thanks Curt!
I'll find a special place for it in my room at our new house and send you a pic.
Faith should probably make it to her new home by Tuesday.  We'll still have 4 days of our spring squirrel season here in Virginia, so I'm looking forward to giving my K-Mag a break and putting her in the game.
Then it'll be on to a bit of bowfishing and range duty in preparation for the fall.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Moving to archives....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©