Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Planning Africa  (Read 948 times)

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Planning Africa
« on: April 19, 2024, 04:13:49 PM »
I am finally getting close to making an Africa hunt possible.  I am in the initial stages of planning for a 2026 trip.  I have followed along here on Trad Gang with hunts to Sofala and Makalaan camps and right now cannot decide who to go with.  This will probably be my only trip to the Dark Continent.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  :coffee:

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Planning Africa
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 07:12:06 PM »
As you probably know, I have hunted with Makalaan (Antonie) and was so pleased that I have sent at least 10 other people over and everyone of them had a great hunt.  This is a husband and wife operation, although they employ several native families as well.  His operation is set up for bowhunters.  He has elevated and pit blinds.  The wind on any given day will determine which blind you will hunt.  He has 2 houses for hunters to use.  Your laundry is done for you, so no need to take a lot of extra clothing.
On a slow day, you may see 50 animals, on a good day 100 +.  Everything is set up so you shouldn't be taking any shots longer than 20 yards.  Some of my shots were 12-15 yards at trophy Kudus.  I guarantee you will have shots at very nice animals and you will have a great time.  If you can allow for a few extra days, they will take you on a tour of their National Parks.  One is within a day trip and you will see every African animal.  You will also have a chance to see the people and the culture in Namibia.  During my research, and experience I found Namibia to be one of the safest countries and well as cheaper than many other countries.
If your truly interested, send me a PM and I will give you much more information, as well as packing lists and travel tips.
[email protected]

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 08:46:50 AM »
I would say nearly the same about Sofala.  Louis and family run a fantastic operation.  You will be picked up at the airport in Johannesburg and returned there at the end.  Your food and laundry are all included.  Plus, Sofala has a traditional bowhunter package that you can add to while there. 

In fact, I will be at Sofala again in a few weeks.   If there is anything I can ask Louis for you let me know.  I would encourage you to reach out to him.   He is easy to talk to and will tell you anything you need to know.

So, yes I am a big fan of Sofala.  Nearly all of your shots will be under 15 yards. Louis is very interested and accommodating to the traditional bowhunter.   The facilities are great.  I too would be more than willing to help with any questions you might have. Don’t hesitate to message.

Finally, I wish you luck with your hunt. I am sure you will want to go more than once no matter which outfit you go with.

But

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 04:39:46 PM »
Thanks Gene and Kirk, I really appreciate your feedback!

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 01:41:09 PM »
I've been to Sofala 7 or so times and have sent more people than I can add up. It is Traditional Friendly and I can back it up with a pile of critters and a Sprial Horn Slam completion as well. If you want to talk bowhunting Africa call me and I'll shoot you straight.
479-474-3800
Mike

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 04:00:41 PM »
I’m at Sofala right now. Having the usual fantastic Sofala experience.  If you want to see for your self, checkout Sofala’s facebook page.

I just want to add that some changes are being done with blinds etc that will really make tradbow hunters happy at Sofala as well as other archers. 

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 11:30:31 AM »
Thanks Mike, I will be contacting you as my time gets closer.  My concern right now is the cost of getting my trophies back.

Good luck Kirk, fill me in when you get home.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks Mike, I will be contacting you as my time gets closer.  My concern right now is the cost of getting my trophies back.

Good luck Kirk, fill me in when you get home.

What we have started doing is having it done over there and shipped back. The cost is WAY cheaper and we are only doing flat skins and skulls now. My zebra rug was under 200 if done here it would have been close to 1500

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 10:07:00 AM »
We do the same.  In fact, this time we are just having the skulls done.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 03:04:44 PM »
I am going back to Makalaan next week, three years in a row. In my opinion Namibia gives a better African experience because all the country is less developed, no crowded at all, less towns and cities…

Amyway, I have been in South Africa and is a great place for bowhunting and usually you have more species to choose. Sofala looks very good

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©