Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Mountain Goat Hunting  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Goat Hunting
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Both Tahr and Chamois would make a great hunt down there in NZ.  Make sure to post a story and pictures when you do go after them Ozy!
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I haven't hunted mountain goat.  I still need to draw which is tough in Washington State. I have chased them with a camera and can say that in Washington they love the steep stuff.  There is a big billy that I see every time I climb the North East Ridge of Mt Adams.  He is old and huge and no gets to hunt that area so he will die of old age.  In some areas you can get at them in less severe terrain.  I had a nanny and two kids in my camp one morning in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.  Later that day I walked right into a group that were feeding in a meadow at the base of the cliffs.  

The even worse thing for me is driving up the Gorge and seeing full curl Bighorn Rams standing 50 yards from the freeway watching traffic.  They are in a closed hunting area for Bighorns and the big boys are often surrounding by 10 to 20 other rams.  Fun to see but tough on a hunter with no options to go after them.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Ive always wanted to hunt mountain goats.
Thought it would be fun to combine hunting and climbing, both of which I really enjoy.
I was thinking you could rig fixed lines and repel to some nasty areas.
A decent climber could gain access to nearly anywhere.

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
fine job penning this ursus. Im heading your way in 2011 to stalk Moose and Brown Bear. I can't wait to try goat and sheep

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
fine job penning this ursus. Im heading your way in 2011 to stalk Moose and Brown Bear. I can't wait to try goat and sheep

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Great read gents. Being from the flatlands here in IL my dream animal is Goat. I love elk hunting every year but just HAVE to go goat hunting someday. I was wondering about guide services there. All of you AK residents are DIY but for those of us who have to have a guide, do you have any thoughts?
Mike Davenport

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
I had the chance to hunt mountain goats in the north of BC Canada and that was the best hunt i never had with the bow even if i missed that goat a fifteen yards AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Great post and the mountain goat deserve it.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
A blast from the past!  Little "BenP" (Benny Pinney) joined the traditional mtn goat club last year in his first year of Alaska residency.  Chris Fannin finally headed back to Tejas and took up soccer spectation before popping his goat cherry!

Offline weedwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Another vote for the Tahr story when that becomes reality!

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sharpend60:
Ive always wanted to hunt mountain goats.
Thought it would be fun to combine hunting and climbing, both of which I really enjoy.
I was thinking you could rig fixed lines and repel to some nasty areas.
A decent climber could gain access to nearly anywhere.
Yeah, I think there is something to this... except that the rock can be awfully chossy in goat/sheep country.  I think that those with a climbing background are a lot more comfortable in the hills though, and more in tune with their climbing abilities and limitations.
Since moving to Cordova, AK, I've started carrying a half rope, crampons, ice axe, webbing, and biners around on day hikes.  It's amazing how steep, wet, and slippery it is in these parts!  And now that I'm an AK resident, I can really start scheming about sheep and goat hunts, can't wait!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©