INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimalist Gear  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Minimalist Gear
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:40:47 AM »
I try and bring the least gear that I can. 99% of my hunts are park the truck and walk in less than a mile...usually MUCH less than a mile.

I laugh at myself every year. On day one, I have a pretty good assortment of things I absolutely need. By mid season that list is cut by 3/4.

Here is what I absolutely leave the truck with:

Headlamp
hand held light
Pocket or belt knife
Leatherman (mainly for the small excellent saw)
Means of sharpening knife and broadheads (usually a small file with on smooth edge)
10 feet of parachute cord
A Bic style lighter
Quick Clot
CAT T Tourniquet (bleeding to death 500 yards from the truck seems like a stupid way to die)
Cell Phone (cell phones are now emergency security, navigation assist....I love ONX Hunt...and camera)

Most of this stuff fits into my pockets.

That's it. I also do carry a pistol everywhere, but instead of my daily carry 1911 I usually switch to a small J Frame .357 while hunting. I have zero fear of 4 legged critters, I carry in the woods for the same reason I carry in town.

I keep a tracking bag back in the truck. I keep it there for a reason. I have a bad habit of getting on a blood trail too soon. If my tracking kit is in the truck, I force myself a walk back, slow down, etc.

In my tracking bag:

A really nice flashlight a buddy built for me, with extra batteries and bulb.
Another headlamp
Flagging tape
Drag rope
A small pulley with rope (I might hoist a deer into a tree and leave it over night)

That's pretty much it. Obviously, sometimes a more complex trip requires more gear, but I try hard NOT to haul everything I own into the woods :archer:

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimalist Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:43:49 AM »
 :saywhat:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »
Great list. I would add some deet and my canteen where I hunt.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Jakeoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 03:55:42 AM »
Do you run both headlamp and handheld light just incase(Thinking if I should just throw my normal light in the backpack, been mostly running only headlamp+ spare battery for it).
From NRH, Texas
Rifle hunting for 10-ish years, started bowhunting in 2020. Go-to hunting/sports store - https://gritroutdoors.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©