INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk pack list.....  (Read 28689 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk pack list.....
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »
With all the Elk talk going on how about a detailed pack list for a 7-10 day backpack hunt in the backcountry. I will put my list up also , this year will be my 7th Elk trip off my back and always like seeing how others load-out for a hunt..

I know lists will vary for each type of hunt so if your not after Elk put your sheep , Bear , deer , what ever list up. We can always learn a new trick or a new piece of gear. For instance 2 years ago my hunting partner for elk was a tradganger and he brought a light weight kettle and that thing was awesome ( I’m buying one for this year )...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk pack list.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
(link deleted)

Other link didn't work...

OkKeith

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
As you can see my list is pretty simple , I’m going to get a air pad for this year instead of my Zrest and I’m going to add the light weight kettle also...

My gear is also based on funds available so most is not the super high end stuff but it works and gets the job done very well..

Also this year I will be using a longbow and wood arrows ( I have been on 6 elk DIY backpack elk hunts and killed 4 bulls with a recurve and carbon arrows ) so longbow and wood this year....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:02 AM »
Sam, thats a pretty awesome stastistic with the elk you have, my hat is of to you!
I am going on my second elkhunt ever this year. got a 5 point on my own last time but this tome I am going in for both muledeer and elk and are going to be in the mountains for 20 days! 10 days alone and then 10 days with a buddy without coming out of there in between. So I am also preppi g big time right now and finding lots of new light weight gear.. its incredible how light weight the new stuff is..

would be cool to see some pics from your other elkhunts.. 😊

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Also I’m not a trophy hunter so any legal bull or cow will have an arrow sent it’s way if a good shot is offered. I go for the adventure , experience , fun , time with friends , fishing , allure , romance of the wilderness ( don’t get me wrong I want to kill a Elk that’s why I’m hunting ). In my opinion backpack hunts will make or break a guy , you need to be ready physical and mental for what you are about to do , if your not your hunt is over before you take your first step on the trail. I always hear how over crowded the land is with hunters and how no elk were seen on a trip. Well if that’s the case pack your butt up and go to another area , I would rather hunt for 2 days in elk than hunt a week where no elk are....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »
Sam, good topic and great pictures on your success.
Here is a copy of my 3-4 day bivy/spike camp Colorado hunt checklist. It needs some updating but has served me well in my adventures.

Note: error occurs trying to attach this excel checklist OR jpeg picture of it.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
 :clapper:  definitely like your  approach .
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Checking your list for gear that I have and gear that I need. Done a few DIY hunts but not in the last few years as I've been using outfitters lately.  Looking forward to the trip this year with you Sam.  I have a "few" years on you-- but I'll be ready! :archer2:
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Eden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
Good thread, I'm following along :thumbsup:.  Planning our first trip for next year.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
Take a good look at this picture , it’s the best advise I can give anyone going elk hunting..

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Uh.... Sam, are you saying we should shave our heads? :)

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 04:54:08 AM »
Sam I hunt for excatly the same reasons..
Yes no doubt that this kind of hunt is a make or breake hunt, but thats what I am looking for and have been preparing for in years  :)
Are you hunting solo or with buddies?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »

OkKeith

:laughing: :laughing:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »
:biglaugh:

OkKeith

:laughing: :laughing:

:biglaugh:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
I love the concept of ultralight gear, I dislike the cost and how often it typically needs to be replaced. I also dislike that most synthetic gear isn’t warm when wet/soaked. I get the old adage about ounces/pounds/pain, but I’m also stubborn enough that I like what I like and probably won’t change. I still prefer solid frame packs and a heavier sleeping systems. I’m sure that comes from years of playing Army with a smattering of Scouting also. But most likely it’s because I don’t do a terribly large number of long distance hikes anymore, haven’t been further than 3-4miles with a ruck in almost 20yrs. Luckily my boy is getting into Trail Life USA now and we’re starting to do some more adventuresome activities. And I’m getting where I’ve got some time to actually do a DIY elk/deer hunt.

Good luck this year!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
Looks almost identical to my pack list.  I now add aspirin and benedryl tablets, water treatment tablets, and a daily ration pack I put in gallon ziplocks before leaving home. And a mini shovel to bury #2 which is required in wilderness areas

"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
http://byland.co/   Check out Emory’s website on packing light. As I get older I tend to think we just take too much stuff with us when we leave the comforts of the city. Minimalism is a worthwhile goal. This is one reason I gravitate to trad archery.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
It worked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©