Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: South Africa side trip suggestions needed  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
South Africa side trip suggestions needed
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
My wife and I will be going to South Africa for the first time next July. Since I am going that far I thought it would be a good idea to see a bit more of it since I am there. We will be hunting at Meloromi and plan to add some days on to the back of the trip. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Greg
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Africa side trip suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Hi Greg,

Krugerpark is a must, catching a chance to see the big5. It is our winter and game will congregate around water.

PM me if you need any more info.

Thanks

Pete
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
Greg, i can't seem to find that lodge on a map but if it is in the kwazulu-natal region, when my wife and I went on the photo safari there we rented a car so we could plan and do our own side trips since, the ones offered by the lodge were expensive. We ended up going and doing the hippo estuary and snorkeling on the Indian ocean and hluhluwe national park instead of Kruger. If you need any more info PM me and I can get you the guides name we used.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
There's the midlands meander, lots of local artisans on the drive.  I stopped at one shop and they had custom knives and gorgeous ones at that!  I didn't buy and went back another day and they were sold out.

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Greg:  We flew into Capetown and spent 3 days there staying at the Alfred and Victoria Waterfront area.  We rented a car and went down to the Cape of Good Hope, Simons town where there is a penguin colony and visited the wine country east of Capetown.   We wished that we had spent a few more days there.  When we were finished with the hunt and in Jo'berg we rented a car and went to Pilanesberg park.   Jim

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
Same as Jimscol, Capetown and rent a car, the coast's road  is beautiful, you can see the whales from the road, is an incredible place and a good change from the bush.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Greg,

I was amazed at Kruger.  If you can work an overnight stay there, that would be awesome to go on one of the night game rides.  Everybody has to be OUT or in one of the protected compounds at closing time there.  I was able to see the Big 5 there.  Both cats not very impressive.  Rhino, Ele, and Buff most impressive in that order to me.  The size of the park is incredible.

If you stay in Joberg at all, try to eat downtown at a restaraunt called Kreme.  Best food I have ever had...including your cheesy potatoes!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Victoria falls for sure! It's niagra on a whole new level

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
The oribi gorge is pretty cool, and you've got to try the outhouse  ;)

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
We went to Vic Falls and I would recommend it. We stayed at the Safari Lodge there which overlooked a water hole and saw many more animals. We also went to Botswana for a day and did a game drive and river trip. We got to see many more animals but they were all accustomed to people. Kind of like going to the zoo.  It made us appreciate the animals we saw while hunting.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
When my wife went with me she got on the internet and scheduled the side trips she wanted to do. We went on two side trips.

1. Tuli Lodge in Botswana. It was a beautiful lodge and place.

2. Blyde River Canyon (don't remember the name of the place we stayed there, but it was AWESOME). Blyde River Canyon is the 3rd largest in the world, but not arid like the grand canyon. Very lush and tropical.

Google those up and see what you think.

Have fun!

EDIT: Whoops! Did not catch the dates on this thread till after I typed my response!

Bisch

Offline Bossie Mostert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Hi Greg

I am new to the TradGang but as an SA citizen I can assist you with a few ideas for a side trip.

According to my Google search Meloromi Safaris is located near a town called Rustenburg. This is in the North West province of South Africa.

North West has a few tourist attractions.
Sun City can be a relaxing venture for you but it has few to do with nature itself.

I would advise you to visit the Pilanesberg Game Reserve. It is only an Hours drive from Rustenburg and about two hours from Johannesburg and also close to Sun City. Kruger Park is way out to the east and it will take you a full day to reach it by car.

You can hire a car at any car rental in Rustenburg.
Here is a link to the website  http://www.pilanesbergnationalpark.org/

Regards Bossie Mostert

Offline snowbeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
If you find yourself in the kzn Midlands give me a shout. We an hour from Durban international airport.
Proudly South African

45@29 Longbow

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
We saw the big five the first d ay in Kruger and got incredible closeups of a big male leopard at 30 feet!! What a rush that entire park is!  Never got to Capetown and the coast but my wife did all that with friends when she went the next year... she recommends that whole part of her trip!  Enjoy.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©