INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tick Warning for those at OSTA Shoot  (Read 415 times)

Offline Camp Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Tick Warning for those at OSTA Shoot
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
With over 500 shooters this past weekend and most of them not being OSTA members, we thought this the best way to get the word out.  Please if you know anyone who was at the shoot, please pass this along, especially to those who do not frequent the internet.  Thanks for your help.

This past weekend one of the young boys who was at the OSTA State Shoot got into a mess of ticks.  His dad tells us they looked like spots of pepper they were that small.  They evidently were deer ticks and potential carriers of LYME Disease.  The young man is being checked out by Doctors.  We have only heard of this one case but in the event that anyone else encountered any, we need to advise you to have yourself checked as LYME's is very serious and cure is best when caught early.  We don't know that any of these ticks were infected but every precaution should be taken.

If anyone else had an encounter, please contact myself or Jamie so we can advise Jackson.  It may help they to narrow down the location of where the infestation is.  Based on the number of ticks on the boy, it had to be in an infested area.

We don't want to alarm anyone unnecessarily but it would be irresponsible of us not to get the word out quickly.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Dave Schneider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick Warning for those at OSTA Shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I was at the shoot and also south of the club doing some scouting on Saturday evening.  I also got invested with what I believe where chiggers.  The land owner said they were deer ticks but I do not think that is what they were.

What I had was all over my ankles and also looked like pepper.  I had to pick and wash them off.  They left my ankles and feet eatin up with red spots that itch like crazy.

I am no expert but looking on line I do not think what I had was ticks.  Hopefully these were not deer ticks on the youngster.

Dave Schneider

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I googled chigger cause I always thought they were red.  "They" say chiggers are born red and as adults they turn yellow.  Dave I would keep a close eye on my ankles!
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
chiggers dig under your skin and burry themselves. Tick stay on your skin and suck blood. I'll bet you had the small deer tick and not chiggers.
Gary King

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©