Main Boards > PowWow

Animal Shot Placement Pics

(1/6) > >>

Terry Green:
WHITETAIL DEER: These shot placement pics are based on broadside animals, so take into consideration if the animal is quartering where to aim to cross through the middle of the animals vitals with the greatest margin of error.

BEHIND the shoulder is the best place to aim, which is above the elbow. This is the CENTER of the vitals and gives you the the greatest margin of error and the quickest cleanest kills.

Contrary to what is being tauted by some as of late, the shot and vitals of a whitetail are BEHIND the shoulder area on the chest cavity....not 'under the shoulder' area.

If the perfect center of the vitals were shot with an arrow, the ENTIRE front leg/shoulder could be removed with the arrow still in the center of the vitals.

There is NO reason, I repeat NO reason to AIM at the shoulder no matter what you read or hear.

This pic shows you the vitals ...and the yellow is circle is moved slighly forward for better viewing the rear of the vitals but the black circle and red line are still in the same place....dead center of the vitals.

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Debunking the myth of the "dead zone" in the chest...

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Guru:
Been saying this for years....check it out...

--- End quote ---

Terry Green:
HOGS: These shot placement pics are based on broadside animals, so take into consideration if the animal is quartering where to aim to cross through the middle of the animals vitals with the greatest margin of error.

Hog vitals are a bit more tricky as they are angled up a bit as they go back...the same double lung shot on a deer could result in a gut shot on a hog.

Low and tight is good...low and back aint...the same shot low and back(yellow circle) would double lung if it was high and back(pink circle).....so again I aim for the middle right over the elbow for the greatest margin of error on a broadside shot (orange circle).

I quit shooting hogs 'low and tight' after I lost one due to it being 3 inches back.  I now aim as I suggested above(orange circle).

Same low and back on the deer would kill it(orange circle)....

Again...Low and tight is good...low and back aint...the same shot low and back(yellow circle) would double lung if it was high and back(orange circle).....so again I aim for the middle right over the elbow for the greatest margin of error on a broadside shot.

In this pic....the PINK circle gives you the greatest margin of error.  

Shield Hardness and Location VIDEO - Click Here

I've seen this posted for years on web sites...

"I like to shoot them quartering away to avoid the shield".

I've tried to explain that this is not the case on a shielded boar....So at Solana I got pics of Michael's boar to add to the shot placements thread sticked at the top, so they can do the talking.  

This is a pic of a shielded boar and the location of just how far back the shield goes and that you are not going to avoid the shield by shooting quartering away unless you shoot behind the rib cage, and that is a dicey shot.

Also, if you do shoot quartering away, your are actually increasing the thickness of the shield you have to pass through because you are making the shield thicker by the quartering away angle.

I am not condemning a quartering away shot with this post, I've shot plenty that way.  I'm  just making folks aware that you are not going to avoid the shield.....unless of course you shoot that little soft pocked in the clip posted on the shot placement thread...and that soft spot can be shot broadside as well.

Aand even MORE...CLICK HERE

FerretWYO:
Here are a few pics that I use to help people maybe you can get something out of them too.

This is a moose picture showing the large bones and vitals.

FerretWYO:
A few elk pictures

This picture shows a cut away of the vital organs. The back bone is a little taller(Spine is 4 to 6 inches tall) than seen here so keep that in mind.

FerretWYO:
A good bear picture showing vitals and big bones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version