Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Release hand pulling away from the face.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Release hand pulling away from the face.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 12:56:00 AM »
I'll do a follow up here in a few days.  I got a new bow recently and I've been learning it.  Currently, we're getting a lot of smoke from the fire's in Canada, so I'm not spending much time outside shooting.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Twostrings2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 08:50:12 AM »
  When you get tired of trying to remember all the things in this thread while you make the shot, try your own words...
  "...I just focused on shooting after that and let the arrows fall where they were going to.  Strangely, they all hit where I wanted them to...."

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 07:46:53 PM »
I tried that twostrings.  It lead to inconsistency and poor shooting.  My background is in defensive pistol, and there are a surprising amount of parallels I see between the discipline involved in shooting a pistol at high level and shooting a stick bow at a high level.
  At least with pistol, a person first has to understand what is "ideal" form and what is proper for the individual shooter ( bodies are shaped different, some of us have injuries preventing certain movements ect).  Once you and preferably a trained instructor has identified the form that's best for you, the only thing left to do is drill until the movements needed to drive the weapon become unconscious.
  I suspect high level archery is something like what I've described. I also suspect I'm somewhere between finding my personal ideal form and drilling until I can't get it wrong.
  I think that's what you are trying to describe.  Maybe you can just naturally do that, you could be one of the people that just pick a spot and hit it and if that's the case I am absolutely jealous. .  But I am not. And most people are not.  I think I'll leave it at that.

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2021, 07:59:30 PM »
Here is the promised update. This is the form I'm taking into the woods this year. This is also the 4th bow I've shot this year, and I actually think that's been helpful.  It forced me to pay attention to my form, and learn how different movements, and things like string torque and grip torque can move arrow impact around.
  My hand still pulls away from my face. Two things have kept it closer. Trying to keep my fingers closed, but letting the string "cut" through them, and adding a little bit of bicep tension. The bicep thing seems like cheating though. It's not a real fix. 
  Here's a question as well.  Is my hand coming away from my face just a result of my arm being bent?  Which is to say; after the shot breaks, if I maintain the angle between my forearm and upper arm, would the whole arm hinging at the shoulder just naturally rotate the hand more out as opposed to straight back? And if that's the case do I even have a problem?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2021 ~ Trad Gang.com ©